xisto Community
kvarnerexpress

Error Installing Windows Xp -error 7 Ntkrnlmp.exe

i have tried to install windows xp on my pc and i get an error right after it ask at the bottom of the screen to press f2 to restore an error pops up sayingFILE \$win_nt$.~bt\NTKRNLMP.EXE cannot be openerror 7setup cannot complete and has to closei have had windows xp on the pc before so i know its compatible but i used a different version of windows before ,this tinme im using a new one and i get this error i seem to find no solution anywhere about how to resolve this and I was wondering if possible theres something i need to do,I am not to smart with computers so it may be something obviouse.thanks hope someone has an idea what im talking about lol.kvarnerexpress

Do you by any chance have a Dell machine? This seems to be a common problem with them, especially with the MegaRAID controller.This also seems to be a common problem where your RAM is corrupted or has become damaged, or where your CPU settings need to be changed in the BIOS.You said that you don't know much about computers. As fixing this error is likely to involve taking your PC to bits, or editing the BIOS (the basic system that makes the hardware work), I would strongly suggest taking your PC to your local repair shop and getting them to have a look at it.

Once I was installing an XP in a pc I got that kind of error and I thought it was the installler becuase it says cannot open. But the real problem was with the RAM. Everytime I tried to re-install the same file is loaded into the same portion of the RAM which is damage so it always display the same error message.In your case try using another RAM of you have one and try also cheking your HD becuase maybe it has bad sector or something. XP installers do not directly install files from CD but copy it first to HD before actualy installing system files. Maybe the file that was reported cannot be open is written to a portion of the disk which can not be access becuase of some defect. But I'm sure it has nothing to do with the compatiblity of your machine and XP. The problem has to be in the installer, RAM or HD.Good luck

i have tried to install windows xp on my pc and i get an error right after it ask at the bottom of the screen to press f2 to restore an error pops up saying
FILE \$win_nt$.~bt\NTKRNLMP.EXE cannot be open
error 7

setup cannot complete and has to close

i have had windows xp on the pc before so i know its compatible but i used a different version of windows before ,this tinme im using a new one and i get this error i seem to find no solution anywhere about how to resolve this and I was wondering if possible theres something i need to do,I am not to smart with computers so it may be something obviouse.

thanks hope someone has an idea what im talking about lol.
kvarnerexpress

I've had EXACTLY the same problem with my EPOX EP-MF570SLI board.
I was going insane until I flashed the BIOS with the lastest version.
This then gave me the option to alter the VDIMM voltage to the memory modules.
I've got Corsair XMS memory which will run upto 2.1V(as stated by Corsair).
When I changed VDIMM in BIOS from AUTO to 2.1V, my BSODs and NTKRNLMP/Error 7/4
ceased and I have now installed XP.
Hope that helps.

Please help me Complete my windows Installation

I have tried to install windows xp on my pc and I get an error right after it ask at the bottom of the screen to press f2 to restore an error pops up saying

FILE $win_nt$.~btNTKRNLMP.EXE cannot be open

Error 7

Setup cannot complete and has to close " Its all happening with a Dell GX260"

Your cooperation will be appreciated.

-Shepscomp

How to Install Latest Version of BIOS without OS

I'm trying to reinstall XP when I don't have a functioning OS. How can I flash the latest version of BIOS to FIx error 7?

-reply by Andy

Error Installing Windows Xp -error 7 Ntkrnlmp.exeI have tried to install windows xp on my pc and I get an error right after it ask at the bottom of the screen to press f2 to restore an error pops up sayingFILE \$win_nt$.~bt\NTKRNLMP.EXE cannot be openError 7Setup cannot complete and has to close " Its all happening with a Dell GX260"Your cooperation will be appreciated.-Shepscomp----------------------------------------------check your ram (ram check program, maybe use a ubuntu disk or the bios sometimes has one.) if it has errors, take out that stick of ram that is causing you issues, if its only one stick. Buy another one (duh ;)) Then also check your bios is updated, shoulllld help ;).Sam.

Edited by samlockart (see edit history)

At this time, it is hard to said where is the problem come from.
But you may first checking the memory for corruption by download a testing app
from memtest (http://www.memtest.org/

Then by installing windows xp by ms-dos with smartdrv with this command

winnt.exe

This command do the same thing as windows xp boot-up cd's setup app
that will copies files and create folders on you hard drive, but instead
just start-up files (such as ntldr), almost whole cd files will copied to
your hard drive for easy install without cd disk here after.

I would like to help to solve your issues.

Eric,

If you are trying to install xp on a new motherboard via an new sata drive you will get this error. Xp has no native drivers for sata. There are sites that explain how to do this. Hope this helps.-reply by gcelsor

FILE $win_nt$.~btNTKRNLMP.EXE cannot be open error 7Error Installing Windows Xp -error 7 Ntkrnlmp.exe

Well everyone here is right. It's  usualy bad RAM or a bad HD run the diagnostics 1st. I had this happen to me on a computer I was working on when I tried to reinstall XP on it. 

If it's a dell and it's not the RAM or HD, update/flash the bios, then if you have the drivers and utility CD, reinstall the OS system tools.

Granted before you do any of this, I suggest you back up your data.

-reply by EasyT

When i try to install Windows 7 i got this errorError Installing Windows Xp -error 7 Ntkrnlmp.exe

this installation disc isn't compatible with your version Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disc.For more information , check your computer's system information. To install a new copy of Windows , restart your computer using the installation disc, and then select Custom(advanced).

-question by Ashutosh