xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BuffaloHelp

Fake Paypal Email Messages take a look and be aware

I have seen posts about what kind of messages are out there fooling members to give up private information--especially when PayPal sent you one. Oh no! No way, PayPal address cannot be faked. Wrong. I almost gave away my entire personal information about 3 years ago. And the fake messages are getting better and better. Even the site that links to looks too real. So I decided to share this with you, in hopes that no one from Xisto are suckered into giving up what is private information.

PS I know everyone knows this but let's spread the word and see how many more we can educate. Post in original as you can. Sorry that my gif conversion cause some color information loss.

What I received in my inbox

Posted Image

When I click on the link, it almost fooled me but thank god the site was taken down

Posted Image

Well, I sometimes get a mail like that too and I also have a account on paypal and so I click on the link and the browser came up with the same result are yours too.Oh well, I have a gmail account but did not use it :) Is it can block the letter or mail like that?

yeah,luckly gmail can filter them out automaticly.i do dislike that kind of message...hope more and more E-mail system can deal with this shortcoming and againt any kind of dangerous message.

Yes Gmail does take those types of e-mails quite seriously because you can report them seperate from their annoying cousins that we call spam. I am really glad you told us about this and I am really glad that the site was down. I don't know why people do stuff like this its just not right.

I Always turn off HTML for my email setting. so i always be carefull about from whom i get email.I use Yahoo and Gmail as my default email . in yahoo i always got email like that . Just pointing your mouse to the link then right click and copy link address and you will find a fake website.the best way is just protect your email ( and check about bulk mail or spam email) if you're not sure what you do. leave that email alone

Ohh paypal, dont tell me about that it is really the worst company i have ever seen on the internet.Becoz they never have back up of our account and also they never provide security.I used paypal before, one day i saw my credit statement which had billed Rs.30,000 in indian currency without me purchasing anything.When i complained about them about this there was no response from paypal and i got sucked.I havent payed those dues still yet. I am suffering a lot my father always remainds me of that incident done by me. :huh: I suggest the members here not use that... Keep it away from you..

Edited by puffy (see edit history)

Ohh paypal, dont tell me about that it is really the worst company i have ever seen on the internet.

Becoz they never have back up of our account and also they never provide security.

I used paypal before, one day i saw my credit statement which had billed Rs.30,000 in indian currency without me purchasing anything.

When i complained about them about this there was no response from paypal and i got sucked.

I havent payed those dues still yet. I am suffering a lot my father always remainds me of that incident done by me. :huh:

I suggest the members here not use that... Keep it away from you..

Puffy is right. I actually have heard official reports that people's accounts have been frozen without reason after using eBay or other "safe online shops" due to "Suspected Criminal or otherwise Suspicious Activity", and many people, like puffy, have lost money for no real reason. I have even heard a report that they charged $500,000 from an account for no reason!

And the problem is, noone can do anything about it, because the worst fact of it all is: PayPal isn't owned by a bank, so they are immune to money handling laws!!!

And then there's the people always trying to fake Paypal, and getting better and better at doing so, hacking accoutns unwarily, stealing money...

I don't honestly see why eBay, or indeed ANYONE, trusts Paypal anymore. If anyone is seriously thinking about using Paypal, DON'T DO IT!!! You don't want to become one of the NEAR-MILLION people who have been conned out of money, had their account hacked, or get spam 24/7, so forget it. Paypal sucks.

Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

No offense to anyone who did fall for it, but I'd be abble to see through a scheme like this easily. IT'sd not that hard and don't automatically believe any email that comes in. Often, just confirm it with PayPal if worse comes to worse.

Yeh, these e-mails are a pain, I get them all the time. Just wastes my time deleting them almost every day.To be honest, I thought it was quite obvious that it was junk mail, but lots of people out there seemed to have a fallen for it! Hope this message gets across to as many people as possible. The people that send these e-mail are getting more and more malicious!

I have had the same problem with these e-mails. Like was stated earlier, check to see what the url is. (Usually it points to somewhere like http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ or something else crazy) The address bar at the top may even well show https://www.paypal.com/de/webapps/mpp/home. You need to look in the bottom left corner of your explorer window (If you use IE). There it will show where you are actually going to link to. I have received these e-mails with different "themes". Some say that suspicious account activity was detected, others say that they need my account updated or it will be suspended. Anyhow, I have yet to fall for any of these, but obviously someone is or they wouldn't be using this ancient phishing scheme. Paypal has been fine with me, I still have money in it, and I have NEVER been contacted by Paypal.

Edited by MAME_NUT (see edit history)

I have gotten like three of these. At first i was like what this becuase first of all i don't even have a paypal account so i knew that it must have been a scam of some sort. But everyone should be very careful becuase if you do have an account it seems so real that you might actually think it is paypal.