xisto Community
serverph

Hard Drive Freezer Trick have you ever tried it?

Hello,
I tried the freezer trick and was actually able to recover my data for about 10 minutes which was enough time for me to get what I needed. It's a very simple easy trick. If you are still nervous to try it check out this link. I bought this auction for $1 entitled Hard Drive Recovery (199 Solutions to access your dead hard drive), this is where I got the freezer idea that worked for me but maybe one of the other ways will work better for you.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Good luck!

The url link may change every time the auction sells because it will probably re list with a different auction number so if the link I provided brings you to a closed auction(which means it has sold) just type the title of the auction which is: Hard Drive Recovery (199 Solutions to access your dead hard drive)into the sites search engine and find it that way. Thanks.
Edited by age (see edit history)

I will say this trick worked for me, as a matter of fact I am currently using the damaged HD to reply here! A week ago I got angry and hit my laptop very hard right atop the HD housing while computer was on. Everything went black and a little curly cue of smoke rolled out. I waited a few minutes and tried to reboot but was met with errors and nothing could be done. I unfortunately had not backed up my HD and lost 2 years worth of valuable business docs from a business I am starting. Through my panic I began calling data recovery shops just to find they will charge thousands to recover data. I am a small startup and can't afford that expense, so I called a computer buddy of mine who owed me a favor. He looked at my HD and said it was fried and I probably lost everything unless I send it to the expensive recovery shops.I was heart broke! He then mentioned this trick to me and asked if I would like him to try. I of course said hell yeah, I had already resigned the fact that the data was gone! So about an hour later while in Bestbuy getting a new HD my buddy texted me to let me know he had good news! The trick had in fact worked and my data was recovered. He was able to recover most not all of my data. There are some sectors that have been severely damaged so I can't recover. But the majority have been recovered. The HD is still bad and my system is acting crazy, the drivers are not properly functioning, and it occasionally freezes and tells me the HD needs to be replaced before it crashes completely. I have been up and running on the tricked drive for 2 days and counting. The plans to replace the drive this weekend are there but i will keep this up and running until then or it crashes. The Moral of this story is while you may trick your data out of the drive after a failure for less than thousands of dollars, but why worry after the fact always back up your data!

hmm i just tried this trick with my old 160GB ide and before doing the trick it was detected in my bios but doesn't boot and if i boot from another drive and in windows there is no partition for this drive after this trick there is my two partitions in windows but they do not open or format so i don't know why windows detects these two drives after freezing but the H.D.D is still dead.there was another freezing trick for laptop battery which i have read somewhere but it didn't worked for my battery eighter so i have tested two freezing trick and none of them worked for me. any more freezing trick ? :D

Hey guys,I have some experience about freeze trick and the results were win-some and loose-some.In most cases, this doesn't concern with HDD mechanism, it applies to disk-controller card which has some ICs.According to experts, these ICs could be cure when put in a freezer for 24 hrs. So I tested it and got through.But it is not a safe way for every encounter.The best way is to find a similar disk-controller card and replace it.You'll find it simpler and more easy, and yet more safer.Thanks to all,apluser.net@gmail.com

I have a Seagate external hard disk drive that is pretty much dead. It does show up in Windows and can browse through some of the folders on the disk, but it causes Windows Explorer to hang when browsing some of the inaccessible folders. I did run CheckDisk on it, which found absolutely no errors except that it took an eternity to run. Perhaps I should just stick the drive into a Linux box and get it to copy the files across. I imagine it would take over a month to get all the data across from the terabyte drive at the rate at which it is accessing the data on the disk. Freezing the drive did nothing except make it colder to touch but fortunately it did not damage the drive.I sometimes compare my Seagate disk drive to the Western Digital drive that I got before it. Western Digital's MyBook (the 500GB single drive edition without network support) lasted much longer and didn't seem to have any issues at all so far - it's a whole year older than the Seagate disk drive and both are connected all day to a computer that is turned on twenty four hours a day and seven days a week. I have to try running another Seagate disk drive to be able to say that Western Digital makes better stuff than Seagate does, so this time I would be getting another Seagate disk drive, just to be able to tell if the disk failure was due to inferior components being used to make the disk drive or if it was just one of those one-off disk drive failures that occurs when the gremlins take over and destroy the drive.TLDR: Freezing had no effect on my almost-dead disk drive - it still takes almost forever to read certain folders, which unfortunately contain most of my files.