xisto Community
wassie

Movie Editing Softwere wich one to use?

i really wanna know wich software the makers of like Lord of the Rings, are using to make their special effects? I know one thats called "Adobe after effects" but i dont think they use that for LOTR. So what is?

well i didn't know they were doing that all with adobe premiere...hmm... well i have to read some tutorials about it then :)

I would have no authority on the subject so this is just a guess, but a 3d program like Maya, or 3d max. A 2d Program like Photoshop, for creating textures, these programs would be used for creating movie sequences that would later be spliced into the video using something like a green screen effect, also known as chroma key.

Now this is one thing I do know, some of the scenes were built entirly using the computer, for example when there are thousands of orcs attacking on of the places (I can't remember the name now) those scenes were entirly generated, no filming!

Appentrly now this information is just coming from my memory, so it isn't necessarly to accureat, there was a software developer comissioned to do there scenes so unlike traditional computer dessign where each orc (I hope I spell that right) was created by hand and then animated by hand navigating around every other orc by hand, this process you can imagin would take years, even decades!!! this developer (I believe he was from canada) would create, assumably along with a team of artists, a handful of monsters, say 10, then program them so they could walk on there own, kina like in a video game, and clone them over and over again so you have thousands, (Imagine the processor time and RAM) then say "run towards the castle", now in traditional dessign this would all be possable but the guyes in the front would head off and the ones in back would go and because you are using several diffrent models they would travel slightly diffrent speeds, and end up cutting throught each other (which would be bad :) ) so these bodies were then programed with a fuzzy logic so when they encountered a slow moving orc they could actualy think and decide for themselfs a way around the object in front without obscuring the video, or creating sharp polygons then a camera was placed in the 3d world from the side, and then again from the top and these sequences were spliced together to form the final product.

Now you asked about specific programs, my guess would be that you would never have heard of the program, like I said maya, and 3d max photoshop ect, but no single program would be used for the whole production, and many hardware utilities would also be used with editing stations, (I hope I didn't sould rude when I said you wouldn't know of the programs, what I ment was propriety software was probably also used) chances are also very good that a program used by a hollywood director might even be simpler to use then something like Pinnacle studio, why? Because Hollywood movies don't use effecs or built in sounds that consumers expect in there video editors, something very simple like the sequence editor in Blender, no effects, no sounds just an aduio track for background audio, and video tracks, for what else but video!!

well i didn't know they were doing that all with adobe premiere...hmm... well i have to read some tutorials about it then

If you were asking because you wanted to make something simmilar, you probably could do a lot with premier pro, never used it myself but hey it's got the pro in it's name and costs lots, must be good :D , but serously start out small and learn more programs and eventulay you will have a set of tools and when you want to make something you say I can't do it here, and would be doing it by hand here, but maybe I can use this tool there. My self I don't do much video editing (for lack of a video camera!) but I do like to edit pictures, and use something in the range of 8 or nine programs to do so, just what I am most comfortable using for that pericular task.

Hi For edit Or put Effect on your movie User adobe premiere SoftwareI Use it and i like it It has many options for Audio/ videoAnd u can compile your film in any format like Mpg2 or dat file or ....its realy nice software

oke i know 3d max, still wanna learn that programm, and i exually got adobe premiere pro, but never used it that much, but i will learn that on school and it would be cool to allready know a bit of that.so any of you can find some nice tutorials? because i just cant find them :@

this should prove useful for this topic **FRESH ARTICLE**:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/section/technology?from=switched

it discusses some very useful tips for the desired job at hand. ever heard of the giant in effects company, "Industrial Light & Magic", or more commonly known as "ILM"? you should see their looonng-list of filmography which they dipped their hands into doing the special effects. the most notable and most recognizable movie in the list is of course the star wars series. :D

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

well, this guy (from the first link above) says he can show you how to create your own ILM for (almost) nothing! for the next george lucas' out there, here's your chance to read and learn. :D all-basics are covered, like the recommended machines (he says get at least 3 boxes... you will know why when you read the blog entry :D). and of course, the list of cross-platform apps you be will needing for creating your masterpiece. :)

report back on this thread what you come up with with all these stuff. :D

Blender 3D is a free open source program for creating film effects and that. I have not got it yet, but it can create some really impressive stuff. I have seen some graphics that were made in it.

Blender 3D started off as a commercial program that did not work out. Blender 3D is cross platform Windows, Linux, and Mac.

https://www.blender.org/

I did a really quick search on google and noticed all the info is there. I don't want to waste space here copying and pasting all the links. Reason being that it wasn't just one software program or just one post production company that worked on the movie. Here's an example
http://www.massivesoftware.com/
is what was used to the huge battle scenes. But there are much much more.
Hope this helps.round

i use adobe premier pro. it is the best software for editing but it is professional. you really need to know work in it.i am working in it for a 2 months and i am still learning. so much options, and louds of things that i dont know their use.but i have bought a book with a turtorials. it is soo much easier when you have somewone who can help you with this program. soo if you have a free time( and nervs) go for it. adobe premier pro is my number one.but if you are amateur use Windows movie maker or video edit magic.they are easy to work and you dont have to spend a louds of times in front of your pc. i have made movie for my school(lenght: 90 min). i needed just 50 min for editing, croping sceenes and making a titles. the whole movie was over in 65min. and it was published next day. but it doesnt have a louds of transitions and special effects because the movie maker didnt have soo much options like APP.

i really wanna know wich software the makers of like Lord of the Rings, are using to make their special effects? I know one thats called "Adobe after effects" but i dont think they use that for LOTR. So what is?

Ok, I have to chime in here, I am a film student and I know of many different programs that allow you to do things similar to what ILM did for Lord of the Rings, and many other productions that they worked on. There are many different programs that I use on a daily basis. I have a computer in my house with many different hard drives due to the amount of programs that I have, I use Blender, I use Maya, I use Poser, and I use 3DS Max, which are all great 3D animation software. When I started with 3D animation I started with Blender and then slowly advanced to the others by learning new skills and how to manipulate things faster. As for actual Special Effects software, I use Photoshop to do some discoloring of objects or coming up with backgrounds which I will put in place of a green or blue screen. These backgrounds look as real as real can get because I learned different brushing techniques and things like that due to fact that I study photo editing, and I use Photoshop to do so, therefore, I must make them look as real as possible. Also I use Adobe After Affects to add things and green/blue screen my scenery into my pictures. For some cool looking titles, I use the one and only Windows Movie Maker, it isn't the greatest software, but it does what I need it to do. As for actual editing software, I use Final Cut Pro, Avid Xpress DV, and Adobe Premiere Pro. I also use some patches and software that I developed to do certain projects, but they are outdated to the point where they do not run on any modern computer, they are just 100% dead. Otherwise, you can do some good stuff with all these programs which cost a good deal of money when you buy them all. As for DVD editing, I use Adobe Encore DVD, and DVD Studio. They are amazing programs, and with them, you can render things like LOTR, but on a less budgeted and quality scale. Also, it get's difficult if you have a blue screened set, and you are trying to superimpose things over it, because of motion capture, and you need to be really good at it. So I suggest that before you go making a full motion picture, you try it out and just do some test stuff with movement of camera and superimposement first. It actually helps, and it is good for future reference on how you do things.

I am glad to give info on this, so yeah, talk to you later!

~Turn Off The Light~

I do agree with round. It is not just one software for creating such striking effects. They not only use official programs but also they write some special ones for their project. one of the best softwares they can you as a platform for creating their highly specific applications is Maya. Maya includes MEL Language which is based on C++ language. 3D softwares are mostly used for creating virtual scenes and manipulating already taped objects on the scene and film editting programs such as Premier is used for color manipulation and othere 2D Desired effects.