xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
psychiccyberfreak

Google Earth really cool thing

Google earth is nearly the neatest thing since sliced bread. I could zoom right into my house and school, it's just so great. As they say a picture tells 1000 words.

Installed this a while back and it's very good. Had to remove it after a while as i had no use for it and it was taking up space. I'm suprised it's not updated as often as i thought it would.Im sure it's no more than 2 years outdated as a local community building near me was built november 05 but was visible on the earth map when i had it before christmas.

hey all thing i noted about Google earth is that it is great but some say since it gets the images of streets and so it is violation of privacy. But according to me No, it?s not a violation of privacy IF the photo was taken on public property. If however, they took a picture while standing in your driveway, lawn, etc. then it is a violation of privacy. That?s why there are curtains and blinds for windows - while it is ?impolite? to peer in, no one can stop you doing so (if on public property). So Google Earth is a Wonderful technique by Google !!!

Googles maps/earth is awesome... My house is blocked by clouds... the only clouds around the whole town . Whats more interesting is the new 3d camera view they have in certain cities. You can actually zoom in and see people on the street and what not. I forget what its called but you can check it out at maps.google.com.And that moon.google.com thing... its funny when you zoom in all the way, but im not sure what thats suppost to be.

I've been a fan of satellite images off of the internet, such as GlobeXplorer, for a long time. I first got into it when mapquest used to give you the option of getting a picture map, using satellite imaging, of the area you were looking at. What made it particularly nice was that it gave you the choice to zoom in and zoom out, and would overlay the roads that were shown on it. Great for when you're driving somewhere new and like to have visible landmarks to ensure you are headed in the right direction. Although this was years ago, and since mapquest has removed this feature, it was great.
Now that Google, the search engine to end all search engines, has released this, I am amazed. They created with satellite imaging, and some hard core programming, a 3D layout of major cities, worldwide. This way, you have a pretty good idea of what the building may look like, when you're driving downtown to the new bar that just opened on the corner of 17th and F streets. What makes it great is the tilt feature that allows you to actually view the landscape as though you were in a plane, giving you a birds I view of the area.

The layers and search options are what really make this program amazing. Type anything you want into the search area and Google Earth maps the locations of any nearby buildings with that search topic in the name. The layers provide a similar service but with preselected buildings, such as gas stations, librarys, restuarants, bars, clubs, and even churches. All major transit lines are even outlined. Railroads, airports, metro stops. This application can truely be used to mapout a visit to a new city. It's even possible to create your own layer, or add specific points to the map. Such as your house, your school, the best liquor store, anything, the possibilities are truely endless.

With all the pros of this applications, the only cons are what can only be expected from a beta release of any software. Yes there are some bugs, but right when you install it Google adds a questions as to whether or not you want to provide anonymous statistics, to help with the development of the application. Also, although cities are the most important, this application isn't complete with the 3D buildings. Some maps, as mentioned in the CNET review, will have have of the city picture perfect, and the other half a blur. The 3D building are mostly limited to just inner city buildings, but I'm sure they are updated all the time. Also, type in too many search items and maps become cluttered, which is not the programs fault, but rather the user. Streaming the maps in real time also helps with keeping the file cache low, but can become somewhat time consuming, especially with large cities, and how closely you zoom in. I would suggest Google add a type of favorites or cookies feature, if you will, so that the user won't have to wait for frequently used maps to load each time they start the program.

All in all, this is really a great program, whether you want to kill time, or be scared at how close you can zoom in on your house. Although there all some cons, they are seriously outweighed by the extent and possibilities of the program. I think if enough people download this program, and just play around with it, Google will really have something great when it releases an official version. Download it and see for yourself.

Oh and PS, and word to the wise, don't click the crime stats layer, unless you want to be scared of sleeping at night.

:rolleyes:;)

Notice from rvalkass:

Copied from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Remember, anything you copy needs to be in QUOTE tags.

Google Earth...words can't describe this application from googleGoogle makes fatastic applications Google earth is a way to bring the entire Earth in one place i.e. Google eathThis One just rocks....

Edited by musicmaza (see edit history)

I've noticed Google seems to regularly update the images they post... the ones of my house are newer now than they were a year or two ago, reflecting changes in my neighborhood (construction, etc). I'm also glad that Google offers such nice support for Linux... no problem running it on my desktop box (Kubuntu).

Google Earth is one of the best and creative program in my life!Its like Google Maps but in Beta Version; it has zoom and zoom out, good when your looking what the building/road looks likeIt also gives you a link that shows you where to go from here to there. just like Google MapsMy opinion is that its is very creative and whoever made it is a genius, very handy when solving crimps and all that >:)I could even see my house, it didnt really look like my house but its near a school that just put up some shades in their playground so it must've been recently updated. It must be my house! :) It was pretty blurry though... But overall, GREAT JOB!

Nice software by Google, I downloaded it yesterday (beta version). and try to explore the world. I enjoy exploring foreign countries, many places where I am not able to reach. Unfortunately, I am not able to find my own home village. There is unclear so I am not able for that.Is Google earth can't show the places all over the earth ??I saw many people track their houses naming (my house) they can see their house even they are out from the house. Anybody know how to make like that(i.e. I want to make my house visible while seeing through Google earth that I can show my house to my foreign friends).If anyone knows it please help me how to do ??Every suggestion will be thankful.

Evryone who wants to get more out of Google Earth, cause it does tend to get a bit boring, go to http://www.gearthhacks.com/ and signup and, then you'll be able to find hidden surprises throughout the world. Includes free kmz files, map overlays, and i think some 3d models. Although try this out, see what you think.