xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
RemoteConnection

Anyone Have Tried Wireless Internet ?

It's pretty good, fast I guess (5-12KBs) but I do get disconneted quite often but I can normally reconect immediately which on average take five (5) seconds.

Wireless internet is convenient, no wires, no hubs, just a router and you have internet all through the range of the router. Make sure you invest in a good router, or you will suffer speed issues. My router likes to decide whether I get high speeds or dialup speeds, and alot of times it will take a few resets to establish speed again. In my opinion, D-Link routers are notorious for this, and aren't very flexible about port forwarding and the like. I would definitely go with Netgear routers, they are so much better then D-Link's routers. Although, make sure your wireless cards will support the router you're buying. There are a few different frequencies that aren't compatible with each other. IEEE 802.11 is the standard wireless frequency, and is considered the most stable. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11) Hope you find the right router!

Wireless internet is great. I am using it and I haven't experienced any problems. However the problem might it armored walls as they have steal in them and if you have such wall between you and the wireless routes you might experienced real problems as you might not obtain the signal from th erouter and even if you do then you might lose connection every now and then. So it would be rally unstable.However, if you have router and you are setting up your own home network then you would know where to put it so that every user in your familiy has best possible connection.I am using wireless internet for over two years almost and the only problem you have to watch is security it is that you don't want that some of your neighbors wants to use your internet and go free on internet. So you have to watch on this because it might produce you with some serious problems. You might even lose control over your own private network adn then do setting up everything from the beginning. Also It would be best if you changed your network key every now adn then. And adjusted your network router to accept connections only from thrusted computers and this can be done if you tell your router mac addresses of your computers and then it will aloow only those computers to be able to join the network even if you lose that is if someones cracks you network key. He would need a lot more time to find out some of the mac addresses to be able to join to the wirelless network. Good Luck.

I am unclear as to the concept of wireless internet. Does this mean that you don't have to have a phone or cable line to get on the internet? I am trying to figure out how to travel around the country in my RV and still be able to post on Xisto and run my website and blog. Any suggestions?

Correct Laurie, any internet connection that is connected by a cable or a phone is considered wireless, as for suggestions all you need to have is either a wifi installed on your computer, or purchase a wireless card that gets you connected as well. But in order for a wireless connection work properly is that you need to have a strong signal and of course someone connected to the internet that has a open network, which is hard to find since people who have routers instaly get them secured so as not to get hacked. What I recommend for your Rv set up is a get a satellite ISP and then installed a router through that so however you choose to connect to the internet you can go off that. Because since you will be moving around in your RV you will keep losing the signal if you just a used a simple WIFI application. Best bet is to see what the company that you bought you computer from and see what htey have to offer for wireless hardware and software, sometimes hardware is picky about that.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

Or another method is to get a wireless card in your computer, put it in the Motor Home and when you get someplace, park near a Cafe or Hotel/Motel that has an unprotected wireless Router. A friend of mine just spent two weeks on holidays in Palm Springs and had 12 wireless signals to choose from where he was. None of them were protected in any way. Some were from Commercial systems, others were residential installs. Here were I live, the Local Computer Shop has an open system, a Restaurant and several Motels all make their system available. I don't dare ask if it is intentional on their part, otherwise they might secure them and I won't be able to connect with my laptop when I go uptown. ;)

depending what you install (hardware or softwar) they give a list of what WIFI signals that are in range of your location and their you can pick one, you do not have to pay anything for WIFI connection unless you get get a ISP that uses WIFI as it's main connection then its just free. But if you set up something like I mention that you would have to pay for the satellite ISP provider to get installed and everything. So the only thing you have to pay for is the parts to set up a wireless connection and then your good. One thing I did forget he PCI cards you need a provider for them to work so that would be paying for those I believe.

I was asking if my using their services without them knowing about it would cost them anything. Do they have to pay for my use of them? I am still uncertain as to the equipment I would need in order to be able to travel around and have internet service.

To answer the first part, most Internet connections are a monthly fee, whether you use it a little or a lot, so it really won't cost them any more if you connect through their system, and most of those types of places make their system available as a magnet for travellers to use, so you would be alright there.What SM is talking about, a satellite connection, would need to set up on your own account. I think companies like Hughes Aerospace have systems designed for the satellite to be tracked by you wherever you might be, but it would require a significant investment to purchase the hardware and all the junk you would need to install so that you could connect using that system. You would require a receiver mounted on the Motorhome and all the wiring to get the signal into your computer, etc. And then you would pay for the monthly connection and possibly usage charges. I know there are satellite systems for fixed locations, because the remote Lodges near where I live have them. Adding the mobile feature you are looking for MAY be available. I can't say for certain.

Wireless is very broadWireless hot spots are usually connected to a high speed internet connection but can be connected to a slower connection. Usually you are luckily and have high speeds but the causes for low speeds usually consist of a slow connection or weak wireless connection. It is pretty good but just think about it. with all of the wireless they have out now just think of how much radiation you are exposed to today. Radio Waves , TV waves, cell phones, wireless routers and pretty much anything else that is wireless.

I would say that's a lot of hearsay and rumors, I search a few websites and most concur that electromagnetic radiation isn't harmful, but some are really sensitive to it depending on the dosage, of course some claim that wifi signals are bad and all that stuff. I would say you would need a very large dose to get affected by electromagnetic radiation. But the odd's are pretty low that you would get affected by this. If we were getting affected they would have told us so, unless it's a big secrete and they don't want us to know :unsure:. Either way WIFI is the new big thing in internet connection so I highly doubt it will go away any time so.

Well, if this concerns wireless networking. I'd say stay with wired networking. It's faster which is good if you're a gamer like me, and it seems to mess up less. There were many times when with a wireless router that I couldn't access the internet for hours at a time. If it concerns actually having wireless internet where you connect via satellite and all that jazz. I have no idea. =P

Edited by Mago (see edit history)

Well, if this concerns wireless networking. I'd say stay with wired networking. It's faster which is good if you're a gamer like me, and it seems to mess up less. There were many times when with a wireless router that I couldn't access the internet for hours at a time. If it concerns actually having wireless internet where you connect via satellite and all that jazz. I have no idea. =P

I wouldn't really agree with as I am operating from the wireless network and it is functioning great, I am also playing some online games although I am not probably as close to you in gaming as you say but still it works without any problems and without delays also by the way just to note that there are some 40 computers on my wireless network and it does not crash nor it has any slow downs.

So as I can tell from experience it works fine without any problems.

I am planning to use it pretty shortly. But the big problem with it is, the fact that they are asking a huge amount as installation charges. Like, my providers need to place a satellite like dish on my building roof. it is like 20 times a wired broadband would cost me. So, i'm pretty concerned about it right now !!!