xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
RemoteConnection

Anyone Have Tried Wireless Internet ?

hi friends, anyone have tried Wireless Internet  ?

Wirless it is good if you have a good house and you want mobility inside your place. Maybe you want to use a laptop one day in the basement and antoher day in your room.

the differences between dialup or other connections wif wireless?

Basically the speed is a bit lower in wireless network but you have much more mobility. The choice depends on where you want to get connected in your house or if your room.

is it secure?

171293[/snapback]

Yap it is secure. You can encrypt it with WEP protocol. It is easy and your neighbour would not be able to use your net without your approvement. Of course data transfer in the air is less secure than in wire but if you do not use.

how would you go about getting satellite internet? i never heard of a company that actually provides that service. I guess it cost too much to be public or something. i have no idea. i've always heard about it but never seen a company sell it or even advertise it.

I've been using a wireless internet connection on the university campus for a while now and it's really awesome, have never had a problem with it although I'm pretty sure this is more like a wireless area network connection rather than a pure wireless internet connection. Most of our campus is covered and I've really enjoyed using it. At home I still use ADSL.

Overall, if you are networking wirelessly, it depends on what you are getting. I am using a D-Link router at home, with my dad's comp hardlined into it, and my sister's laptop and my desktop on wireless. My sister's laptop has a D-Link airplus wirless G Cardbus card, and I can get a signal with it anywhere in the house, and it doesn't drop anything, or lose the connection. My desktop on the other hand is running on an airplus as well, but I got a cheap $10 one. It doesn't lose any packets or corrupt/change packets, but occaisonally it will simply drop the connection, annoying when I'm playing guild wars -_- Overall, if your router and wirless PCI/Cardbus cards are from the same company, you are going to get a better service than if you mix and match. If you are atually on a satelite connection, you will get extremely fast connection/transfer speeds, but there is a major catch in the contract. If you download more than 100MB in a month, your connection speed will drop to less than a 56k modem, because you will get that 100 MB file in less than a minute, and the satelite companies don't want all of their bandwidth eaten up by massive downloaders. DSL on the other hand, can be fast, but it depends on who you are getting it from, and how close you are to the nearest repeater. I am on a DSL connection through SBC, but we are a ways from the repeater, and only paying $30 a month, so we get about a 266k connection, I max out at about 60kb/s download, but the upside of DSL, is I can get about a 500kb/s upload time. Cable, overall is your best choice if you want to download files, but it is also the most expensive besides satelite. If you get cable through Comcast, and you have Comcast cable, it will cost you $40 a month, but you also pay $8 month for modem rental fees, and a little more for slightly hidden fees. Cable is faster than DSL for downloads, but you will not get very great upload speeds. You have to be very careful with cable, and watch your bills, to see exactly how much you will pay a month.That's about it for now. PM me if you have any questions about what I've posted, or just ask it here.

I'd think by 'wireless internet, he'd mean like when you have those PCIMCIA cards, and you connect to the internet via the ISP's towers, or what have you.
Not wireless interenet like 'My house runs on 801.11 - b, so there' That's wireless networking (at least how I interpret it.

Sorry, I have to disagree, well sorta, a wireless network is both, I have a home wireless network, netgear router and it is a network where I can access printers other cpus shared files all through the network, then there are larger networks like isps with wirless towers, or satelite or like a cell phone companies "networks", network is a broad term of any connected systems or communication, in a general statement anything connected, Xisto could be called a network if u wanted it to. You could be right though in which type of network he is talkin about.

a system of computers, terminals, and databases connected by communications lines
m-w.com

Edited by mtvoyagers (see edit history)

how would you go about getting satellite internet? i never heard of a company that actually provides that service. I guess it cost too much to be public or something. i have no idea. i've always heard about it but never seen a company sell it or even advertise it.

http://www.hughesnet.com/
go there to see about satelite internet, I saw a commercial for it once in a town in the middle of nowhere in nebraska, it says its broadband satelite internet

I have heard that is is quite insecure unless you put encryption on the signal and still is a little insecure. anyone can access using your signal so you really have to be carefull. i love my cable modem.Long life to Cable Modem :);)B):(

if you use WEP protocal or newer protocals like these its extremely safe:
WPA-PSK (TKIP)
WPA2-PSK (AES)
WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES)
and trust me it is secure, also you can disable the broadcast of your SSID so the only people that can get in are the ones that know its there and they then have to know the exact SSID plus they have to know the key (password), its like logging into email, only safer

also just so you know I use a cabel modem, with a wireless router on top of that, my internet is actually as fast, or faster as being directly conected to the modem and as safe, but I do have the newest router avaliable and expensive
Edited by mtvoyagers (see edit history)

I had used wireless internet connection in the past. It was in my friends place. My friend has a wireless internet connection at home, luckily he let me try once and it worked on my system as well. The wireless didn't have access key to access the network. When I switched on my wireless LAN it connects automatically. I think the wireless internet connection providers didn't bother to lock with some key number and whoever comes within that network could just use the wireless connection. It was pretty fast as well. And the system tray of wireless internet is very cute....

Yeah we have a wireless network at my place, I set it up myself. The computer I work with (in the office) is directly connected to the wifi network though, our two laptops are wirelessly connected to the internet. There is a tiny drop in speed because you added an extra hop to the packets which need to be send and received, but in the end it's not much of a problem with high speed connections available lately. The good is ofcourse that you can sit whereever you want in the house, which is really relaxing because you aren't bound to the office anymore... (Yet I sit in the office the entire day hehe)

Edited by Florisjuh (see edit history)

i would be able to use wireless soon. that's cool. the only place i can get wireless connection is at school. and since my mom has just bought a laptop with wireless connection, i would be able to use it at school for my thesis. that's cool. hehe.

Yes I did. I have been using 802.11b network for a few years, probably more then 4 years. I know that most wireless routers nowadays use 802.11g, which has a transfer rate of 54Mbps compared to 11Mbps for 802.11b. However, I have already switched back to the Old Stone Age, that is, to connect my computers using wires again. I switched back because the ping time for wireless network is inevitable about 4 times slower then a wired network. More importantly, in my city, there wireless networks have become an endemic, where so many people are using wireless networks that I can connect to more then 10 access points in my flat at various location. The noise is so intensive that my wireless network is not very stable. Sometimes there may be overlap of channels, sometimes there are interferences. I am so disappointed by the wireless technology and the government?s reluctance to open up more channels that I have chosen to wire my computers again. This is a sad story, but a true one. I don?t like my wireless router.

I use wireless but since we have a brick walled house the signal has to be boosted by other routers throughout the house but all in all i find it reliable and fast, i like 3com routers (very biased) which is what we have, but the dlink and link sys seem good aswell. Only problem for me is that when my sister is connected to the downstairs office router the signal from the upstairs router suffors alot since it isnt wired but recieving the wifi from downstairs and boosting it.

i dont like the sound of wireless internet cuz some lucky devil can just come along and PING on your internet without you knowing wireless is best for laptops

ok first off dont get the wireless internet from the isp... get a good conection and if you still want wireless get a wireless router (50 -60 bucks for a decent one) and go from there itll be alot faster and you can gaurentee the safety

I don't know weather this counts as wireless internet and i apologise if im off topic, but im browsing and replying to this with a phone lol (nokia n-gage qd) with a mobile version of opera. I also have ftp software and text editor etc for my phone and build full sites with it! Mainly wap sites but yesterday i did install web forums with extra mod's installed also. Its extremly slow and hard to navigate web sites with this method but it my only option right now ;-)