xisto Community
green fairy

Rounded Edges In Photoshop An easy way to do this

I'll show you how to make rounded edges and a border around a picture.

1) Open you picture in photoshop. I'm chose this lovely picture to work with:

Posted Image

2)Select the elliptical marquee tool and make shore you keep these settings:

Posted Image

3) Use the elliptical marquee tool to draw a circle selection in one of the corners of your picture like this. Pick a size depending on how rounded you want your image.

Posted Image

4) Repeat this in every corner of your image until you have something like this. Try to make all the circles look as much alike as possible.

Posted Image

5) Now select the rectangular marquee tool from the tool bar. Keep the same settings as with the eliptical one.

6) Use the rectangular marquee tool to select the rest until you have something like this:

Posted Image

7) Now click right on the inside the selection and pick Layer via Cut. You will now have two layers. Delete the lower one. (Layer -> Delete while selecting layer)

8) Clik right on your remaining layer and choose Blending Options. Use "Stroke" to add a border around your image. I used these settings, but you can use whatever you like.

Posted Image

9) Go to Layer -> Flatten Image.

10) Use the magic wand to select your border. Then click right on the selection and pick Layer Via Cut. You'll get a new layer.

Posted Image

11) Select your new layer, click right and go to Blending Options.

12) Click Bavel and Emboss, + Contour. Use whatever settings look good. I'll be using these:

Posted Image

+ contour 50%

If you decide to change the color of your border, like me, you can do this by clicking Color Overlay. I also used Satin for my border.

Now my result looks like this:

Posted Image

Even if this isn't perhaps the most astonishing thing you've seen, I still think the technique could be at least a little useful in other situations. If you draw the circles well, I think it could look pretty nice :D

Lol at the cat image, that's adorable. Thanks for that tutorial, I may find a lot of use out of it. I was using a method that took a long time, or else I would just use Paints borders.

why dont you just use retangle selection tool... and bend the edges a bit...?

its much easier :D

170587[/snapback]

How do you bend it? Anyway, it shouldn't take very long to do the circles eighter, so I guess you can use any method you like best.. :D

if you take retangle selection tool,at the top you have a couple of thing you can change... try those outi forgot the name of it

Another great ps tutorial. I probably should get photoshop some time, it looks a lot better than paint shop pro.

Notice from cmatcmextra:
I'm moving this topic to the tutorials section in Xisto Graphics. Henceforth, please post all future graphics tutorials in that forum. :D

why dont you just use retangle selection tool... and bend the edges a bit...?

its much easier :D

170587[/snapback]

I agree...I think contract is what does that...I know for sure there's an easier way than the circle method though.

If you draw the circles well, I think it could look pretty nice -_-

170171[/snapback]

You realize that you can constrain the proportions of your ellipse to whichever specific size you want, right? You just have to click on the arrow in the top toolbar beside the other shape options and choose "constrained" [i think... this is all from memory].

I hope this would be more easier...Select the picture witth rectangle selection tool as usual..Press Alt+Ctrl+D...In the pop up box say 10 and click on Ok..,.Thjat would do it-reply by Shankar