xisto Community
lava.alt

Ajax Asynchoronous Javascript + XML

i use firefox :-D whoever doesn't needs a check-up from the neck-up..lol neways ive never heard of somthin like this and i might look into it..for all i knew ajax was a cleaning powder used to make sinks and toilets white..pft..shows you how much i know :(

As far as i know it's a great tecjnology used more and more and seems to get as much popularity as Apache server has because it's made up of free technologies. I read somewhere Macromedia has smth similar but proprietary of course. As long as it will do its job it's gonna gain popularity. OpenLaszlo, the open-source platform for making flash rich web applications (like web 2.0) it's using it now together with their technology. I guess they both rock and can't wait to finally finish university this year and to have more time sudying.

The development is really cool. It prevents noticable refreshing and you won't see those frames turning white again and again while loading or refreshing the current page. It's somewhat similar to double buffering in game programming.I've seen life examples of AJAX working. I was trying on a web based chat script. And for the chatters to reply such that you can see their message, the page is refreshed. Sometimes the server needs time to feed the information to your computer, as well as all the connected clients, it will slow down a little and seemed to stop feeding information to you. With AJAX, the pages reload without even noticing that it has been refreshed. The messages simply just appear, just like a normal Instant Messenger like MSN, or Skype.I guess AJAX is developing pretty well especially in contributing to multimedia sector of the internet. And also, I think AJAX works pretty well the same for all browsers. So you will not see alot of difference between Internet Explorer or Firefox..

Ajax, the technology that lets Web software act likedesktop software. One of the biggest problems with traditional Web applicationsis that they have that ?Web? feel ? you have to keep clicking buttons tomove from page to page, and watch the screen flicker as your browser loadsa new Web page.Ajax is here to take care of that issue, because it enables you grab data fromthe server without reloading new pages into the browser.That why google used that language on G-mail, blogger.com

The whole base behind AJAX is the XMLHTTPRequest() JavaScript object (implemented in almost every browser aside from IE, in which case you use an ActiveX object, which I think is MSXML.XMLHTTPRequest). You need a fairly good understanding of JavaScript and the XMLHTTPRequset() object before you can really make an AJAX app.
See this article on IBM's web site for more on developing AJAX apps.

Edited by michaelper22 (see edit history)

I am actually pretty sure that xml is a variation of html. at least from what I have read. I like the idea of AJAX. Its a good idea. After all in the world of the internet the technology only has to get more sophisticated because its got no other choice. If we do not grow with the times we will be lieft in the dust. I am very interested in all this.