xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
xJedix

Monitor Question

Alright, I got a Gateway EV700 monitor that came with my gateway computer. About a month ago I noticed that the middle of my screen was kind of blurry. It was difficult to read anything in that spot. And then the spot where it was blurry got larger to where it was a big spot in the middle. I tried changing all kinds of settings on the monitor, in the control panel, and in the hardware settings for it. Nothing seemed to help it.The only thing so far that I have noticed that gets rid of it is by changing the screen size to a higher setting. Like i was using 1024x768 and I changed it up to 1152x864 and its fine.... But Im wondering if anyone knows whats going on thats making my monitor do this? Like if I set it to 1152x864 or lower, it has a very blurry spot in the middle but the rest of the screen sizes are fine.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Right now its not a real hindurance since I can just put it up to a higher setting but I would like to figure this out incase it goes to the other ones to and theres always a blurry spot.Thanks guys, xJedix

Yeah, I would definitely send it back to Gateway and have them look over it, or take it to a nearby computer store. If it's still under warranty, you should be able to replace it, right?Check out their support site - you may be able to find some sort of contact information.

send it back to gateway, but a theory comes to mind though, it most likly has to do with the settings that where installed in the computer itself but other then that no clue.

I am not sure but probably you have place something that has magnet near your monitor, and you have placed it too close. Speakers have magnets on them. but again I am not sure.

If it is a TFT (flat screen) monitor then you could have damaged it by applying pressure to that area. If you have a CRT (large box-shaped thing) monitor then you may have bought a magnet near to the monitor or there could be interference on your monitor cable. Try plugging the monitor into a different PC and see if that helps. We can then work out whether it is the PC or the monitor.

If you bought it a month ago it would be extremly wise to take it straight back to where you bought it from ... if you dont they might now replace it. It should be under some sort of warranty within a certain time frame. Contact them straight away and hope for the best. Good luck :)

Rofl guys, how did you get to where I bought it a month ago from this? "About a month ago I noticed that the middle of my screen was kind of blurry." Cause I didn't, its 4 years old with no warrenty. :'("I am not sure but probably you have place something that has magnet near your monitor, and you have placed it too close. Speakers have magnets on them. but again I am not sure."I'm definitly sure I have never brought a magnet next to my monitor..... I'm not that dumb ;) and also, my speakers are more than a foot away from my monitor so I doubt its that."If it is a TFT (flat screen) monitor then you could have damaged it by applying pressure to that area. If you have a CRT (large box-shaped thing) monitor then you may have bought a magnet near to the monitor or there could be interference on your monitor cable. Try plugging the monitor into a different PC and see if that helps. We can then work out whether it is the PC or the monitor."I believe its a CRT from what you said in your description. It's definitly not flat screen and I don't think they had those back 4 years ago. I will try hooking it up to my sisters computer and see if I have the same problem. I will reply again once I find out. I also have another monitor cable for my monitor... Don't ask me why, cause its a long story... but I'll try that too.Thanks guys for the help so far :)

Hi xJedix,from what you describe...it certainly sounds like the monitor itself is going bad. :)There's an outside chance it could be the cable though.. just swap them out & try them with a different computer TO BE SURE.Hope this helps.Good Luck'RGPHNX

Hi xJedix,

from what you describe...it certainly sounds like the monitor itself is going bad. :)

There's an outside chance it could be the cable though..

just swap them out & try them with a different computer TO BE SURE.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

'RGPHNX

165684[/snapback]

I believe you might be right. Though I am going to say what I found out.

I first connected my monitor up to my sister's computer and it was all fine but on the 1024x768 setting, I was barely able to see any fuzzyness. It was nothing compared to what happens on my computer.

I did switch the monitor cables and to me I didn't notice a difference. Though I found it interesting that my extra monitor cable had one pin missing on both ends and it didn't make any difference that I could tell.

I did notice one different thing then what I said on my first post. I was going through the different size settings on my computer and noticed that it was only the 1024x768 setting that is blurry. The smaller settings are fine now which makes me wonder whats going on.

If anyone has some more comments on whats going on, I would greatly appreciate it. Though I do think it is pointing to my monitor going bad :'(

Thanks, xJedix

well now that i know that the monitor is 4yrs old how long do you keep your monitor on during the day?of course it can just be basic ware and tear too.

Depending on when it is in the year...... during the summer, my computer is on around 10-14 hours per day..... During school, its on about 6-7 hours. But I have my monitor turn off after the computer is idle for 20 minutes and Im not using all of the time so it would reduce the amount its on a fair amount.

Dude. I have the same monitor and the same problem. LAMESAUCE. IDK... It's not horrible on this resolution, so I guess it's alright. I just suggest setting it to a resolution that works and playing with the sizes of your icons and font until it looks good enough to use. That's what I'm doing. I'm definitely a settler instead of a 'buy-a-new-one'er... Michigan economy sucks. D=