xisto Community
fsastraps

Is This Illegal? Music and Internet

As long as the songs you're making available were purchased by you and not downloaded from Bearshare or it's equivalent and the users on your site cannot download the songs FROM your site, then this practice is perfectly legal.

s2city, for some reason i think you are right, b/c if someone uses a program to record the audio that is going through their sound card, then that is illegal!I still dont want to get in trouble for it! :unsure:

s2city, for some reason i think you are right, b/c if someone uses a program to record the audio that is going through their sound card, then that is illegal!

I still dont want to get in trouble for it! :unsure:

158597[/snapback]

Well, I do know that for StationRipper you can set up a station for people to listen to any music you have and that's completely legal since they don't know what they'll be hearing. You won't need copyrights for that, but for the station to be up I believe the computer hosting it needs to be on for it to stream from so a lot of the main radio streamers are those with extra computers. Would be a possibility though.

Well nowi am am confused, I thought it would be a good thread to read, but now i still dont know if i can or not. I know of HUGE web site like MySpace.com that have music and music videos all over it an i know for a fact NONE of them have permission.

Seems to me like streaming your files is the way to go. For that, you might want to check out the Free Bandwidth Project (freebandproject.com). They offer free file caching (not storage) so you'd have a free resource from which to stream all your media content. Your site sounds interesting. What kind of music are you wanting to post? Popular/mainstream or underground bands trying to break out?

This is an intriguing question... It's also a very common one with webmasters. As far as I know and/or believe, you cannot offer DOWNLOADABLE music from your site that is copyright protected, that law doesn't state that you don't have a right to offer it for listening pleasure. I look at it this way; If you can hear the song on the radio, which is free to everyone so they can hear new music, it's most likely not illegal to offer for listening on a website, as long as you aren't making a profit from your site. If your site is commercial and you are using an artists song, they have a right to a percentage of the money you bring in as long as you use their song. But I imagine that whatever song you choose to upload to the server is legal to offer for listening pleasure on a non-profit website as long as you aren't offering it for download. If someone figures away around your security protection of a song, they're doing something illegal and not you. But that doesn't mean you can't be held accountable for the theft of the music from your site. Also, depending on how you are planning to share music with your visitors, I would suggest using some form of online player. It's quite annoying to go to a site that automatically starts playing music. Especially if you are already listening to music on your computer. Later, A P.S. I may be incorrect about the legality of what I mentioned above, as I said, this information is as good as I know and/or believe. Which doesn't make it true, so it's kinda chancey either way...

i think the rule is as long as your not making a profit and or its not downloadable it fine.

157999[/snapback]

Are you serious? That is good information to know I think I am going to research that because that will make alot of websites more interesting. I wouldn't do anything until you find out for sure. I don't think anyone wants to spend 2 years in jail for violating a copyright law :D .

Again, I'm going to make it clear as possible.Regarding radio station:Radio stations pay annual undisclosed fee to play a particular artist's song(s) regardless of how many time it gets played. If you listen to the radio station playing song very carefully, you'll notice that not one song plays completely. You always hear some kind of commercial fading in or the next song fading in or out. This is so that not any songs can be recorded as one complete song and treated as a single. To explain further, you can record off of a radio station if that radio station played every song completely, without any commercial or other songs interrupting by fading in or mixed in intro, you can record that song and use it or sell it as a singles. That's another reason that DJs are always talking during the 2-3 second introduction. They are not trying to sound cool or the fact that they like their own voice. It is to prevent others from recording as a singles by interfering with the full content of the song.So, getting back, there's nothing wrong with providing for the sheer pleasure. But the problem for webmasters is that in the eyes of the law, if anyone found providing the material or WAYS of getting the material without paying for the rights you are providing it illegally. If you place a listening box in your homepage but you got that song off of your purchased CD, I can simply click on play and hit my sound recording program/hardware to record it onto my computer. I now have a song without paying. So who would the artist sue? The webmasters that provides the hosting. Yeah, sure the artist can go after the individual pagemasters but the hosting webmasters have more money for punitive damage.

Well, i really want to put up a music page on my website, with just mp3's for people to listen, but i dont know if this is illegal, i am taking some precations, like i encrypted the pages so ppl can see the source codebut i still dont know if it will work.

Here is the link http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

The page is obviously not finished, but its b/c i dont want to get it trouble wit the law you know! :)

Well if you right click to the side of the music player (I think it only works with Internet Explorer) and then you click view source, then you can see that the code is encrypted.  To see the music player you obviously have to click on a song to listen first.

Any thoughts about if this is illigal to do?

It is really important to me.

Thanks.

157986[/snapback]

it depends on if you have permission from the record companys or song writers themselves if you do then no it is not but if you dont then i think that it is illegial

Well from my extension of knowledge I think you must not let people choose what they want to hear. As I remember it you must have a player that randomly picks music for them. For example this is legal it randomly selects music and you can tell it what you like so it plays music you like. I would suggest a similar system.

You will need a license for this. It is illegal to play music that has copyright. You need permission to use the music. However, if you get a license for your need , then it would be fine, it can be quite pricy.

Here is a well known license website - MCPS-PRS. Just choose the license that suits you best!

Yes it is illegal. It would only be legal when you have got permission from the record companies.By the way, once you have listening to music on the interent, swf or not, it gets saved into tempoary internet files.

So have a good clean up program handy.Search the Forum for "cclean" and "cleanup". Both good utilities. Biggest difference is that cclean has a regisrtry cleaner as well, so it has a risk included. If you know what you are doing, and backup your registry prior to using it, you will be alright with it.I use cleanup. I can't be trusted with things that cause damage.

The people who create music, the artists, the writers etc. bascicaly own the music, and through the production companys they sell the music to the company, so when you download the music it is like you are stealing the music from them. This is of greater concern of the record companys becuase they get the biggest peice of the pie. The artists make alot of there money from concerts and merchandise. Need more of an explanation? if you do it may take me a bit of time to think about it.Most artists don't care about MP3's on the net, mainly because they get very little in royalties from the sale of CDs. Most artists money comes from concerts and merchandise. The recording companies are against file sharing because then they don't get any money from the deal.