xisto Community
TeamOuT

Whats Your Favourite Rts Game? favourite rts game.

My favourites have to be the age's especially age of mythology i love this game and enjoy the fact you can customize the maps so much, i hope they bring out an age of mythology 2 after age of empires 3 :)

The Age series is horrible and boring... Long Live WarCraft III.

198780[/snapback]

I'm with rokhan about the Age series, and WCIII, but I can't decide between WCIII, Act of War: Direct Action, or Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War for my favorite game.

Btw, I played the Age of Empires III demo. Horrible. Just, Horrible.

My favorite real time strategy game would have to be the commadn and conquer series, they have a strgon long going series thats just really cool, but i like the older installments such as red alert 1 and red alert 2 they were really creative and they had that awesome tanya and the live footage a classic to see and a blast to play :D

My favourite real time strategy is by far Starcraft Brood War. I dont think any game can  beat it. Has soo many people on Battle.net playing and its soo fun. What other RTS's do you like?

157445[/snapback]

hhm yeah it's fun but DAWN of War warhammer 40k is the best ALL CHAOS MARINES WILL FALL TO ME FALL I TELL U FALLL!!!! MUHAHAHAHA

I'm going to have to go with StarCraft : Brood War. Because Starcraft is the one RTS game that uses different buildings and units per race, but is still VERY balanced. Thats just amazing.

I really love Rise Of Nations... The campaign mode was really cool and I loved going through the different ages. Age of Empires 1 was really good (I didn't like aoe2). And of course Command And Conquer... I grew up playing the first one. That game was so great back in 1995. "Reenforcements have arrived" :)

Stronghold and World of Warcraft... :blink:

Starcraft was great. but going back to play it now,you can feel the datedness and ancientness of the game. Myself, I like the custom made games that users make of starcraft that you can play on Battle.net. But still, I think the StarCraft age, or era, or whatever, has come and gone. I don't simply mean it being in the mainstream and getting played all the time, I mean that even that feeling of far-reaching classic-ness that we attribute to a game, that will always make it a great throwback to play, I think even that is a bit faded now. But that said, I wouldn't mind playing competitively at a lan gathering or something.One that I thought was really fun was Age Of Empires (the first one). At my high school, all the macintosh computers, somehow, had this game installed so afterschool my friends and I would play the game on that one demo map. We were really competitive so we tried to find the best ways to beat each other, and I would take the civilization which only needs 35 food to create it's villagers, and then I would build like 3-4 archery ranges and just SWARM archers all over the map and rush everyone. Since I know how the demo map runs, I knew there was a river cutting the land into two pieces and I would kill everyone on my side and then wall off the passages, effectively controlling 50% of the map. And then I would aggressively mine the most precious resources on the map: gold and stone, but mostly stone. And I would put the stone "in play" by making tons upon tons of stone towers. Besides defeating my army, an enemy would have to get through legions of towers to do anything to my base.It was also fun to get the research where you can see everything the enemy is doing, and sneak a villager into their town and start constructing random walls all around inside their village making everything inconvenient. And even if you can't get a villager to reach the area and build the wall, the section of unbuilt wall would stay there with 0 hit points and force everyone to walk around it, until they make a soldiers deliberately destroy it, which took time and gummed up the system. Of course, walls stopped having this effect in the second game.I learned a lot of tricks in that game, which made it really fun. One thing you could do if you were lucky enough, is convert an enemy transport ship that was about to drop off guys at your base. Then, you don't own the guys inside, but they are at the mercy of your ship! And it would be tempting to just sink the ship and kill all 10-15 guys inside, but don't do that. Instead, you can sail to an enemies base and drop off all the army there, forcing them to attack a player besides you. Or, better yet, you can just keep the ship, effectively taking away from the enemy player's population limit so they can't make new guys to attack you with! But I've only ever done that once. Other fun games I've spent too much time on:CossacksAgainst computer is too easy, but it is finally truly a grand and epic game, spanning miles of terrain and allowing thousands of soldiers. Without a patch, the computer players are idiots but if you do an Island map against Very Hards you will be in for a challenge. Even when they aren't allied they will try to gang up on you. The best thing to do in this game is to build 3 town centers right off the bat and have them produce villagers non-stop, which will give you a clear and complete economic advantage for the rest of the game. Most computers, and even human players will just build two. Then, if you choose Ukraine, which is the best civilization in the game (the developers were ukranian) you can upgrade and research the Cossacks, and swarm and destroy anything with the fastest unit in the game. Ukraine's only weakness is on water maps. Being a landlocked nation, they are terrible on water maps and only get the weakest boat, the Galley, while other nations, like England get the most fantastic ships any RTS has every seen, Victories with hundreds of cannons going off at once, or at least the much more powerful Frigates. Ukraine is at a clear disadvantage in this case, and the only thing I was ever able to do was dedicate no less than 200 villagers to constantly chopping wood to build galleys (which cost 9000 wood), and I would have to build like 10 docks and have them turn out as many galleys as possible. It's the only way to survive with Ukraine on the water.But the funnest thing of all about that game is exploring and controlling new islands. It really, really feels like a true achievement and on huge maps it can take 10 or so minutes for a land unit to walk to the other side of the map, and perhaps 20 or more for a boat to sail that far. And when you claim all the precious resources on an uninhabited island for yourself, it's an awesome feeling.