xisto Community
snlildude87

Rate My Site (snlildude87)! ...tell me everything

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Please rate my site. Tell me what you think. What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? Also, tell me what I could do to improve it, and what I could do to keep my unique visitors. It seems as though once they leave, they don't come back.

Posted Image

Okay, a little background about it, and why I chose the design. I wanted a simple site, obviously. I didn't want to go all out on the graphics as it takes forever to load on dialup. I coded everything myself with the exception of the blog. Umm, that's about it.

I'm also thinking on a new design. Maybe one that's not quite dark....I don't know. Lemme know all your thoughts.

Thanks.

Nice easy layout but you definitely need a banner image at the top of the page to put your websites name and something to attract the users eye. Besides that, i would just add more content which is the best way to keep unique visitors. Plus, if you update the site more frequently people will come back to it more often to see what has been added.

The layout is ok, fairly plain but its neat and loads nice and fast. You got some pretty interesting links. Its nice to keep your site interactive, that will get people coming back for more.

The best way to keep visitors is to update the site regularly and have something that will encourage them to return, for example a high scores list for some of the games or a forum. The layout is simple, but it loads quickly and is easy to understand.

The page is really nice, it loads fast and all, but I think it needs to be more eye catchy. Add another color to the whole design, you can also try rounding some of the content boxes, or adding a gradient or shine. When I look at the page It just makes me sort of turn away from It. Maybe because there is too much text. It looks like you update it very often so that isnt the problem. Maybe you should try a 3 column layout, move the shoutbox and the affiliates to the new column so the visitors can find it quickly instead of scrolling all the way down. Also, you could try and keep less dates on the first page. Hope This helps

I find the font you've used way too hard to read (particularly the footer links). I think it's a fairly well-established web design maxim that serif fonts aren't the easiest read to on a screen.

Thank you all for the insightful comments. I think I'm gonna go for a whole different design overall, but that will be a couple of months from now as I have over 200 pages. :rolleyes: Bad coding techniques....

I think it's a fairly well-established web design maxim that serif fonts aren't the easiest read to on a screen.

146858[/snapback]

Thanks. I was thinking that the font is kind of hard to read and that I should change it. (But I didn't use a serif font for the majority of my site - it was monospace). I'll change it to something more elegant and professional.

exactly what is this man

146943[/snapback]

It's my site, and I'm asking all users of Xisto to rate it, or to give their opinion.

Once you have a site hosted here at Xisto, you can post a thread here asking users to rate your site. :rolleyes:

One last thing, try to post something longer next time or else you will be denied a hosting account.

I think I like the layout very much, and the content is nice as well - interactive and interesting. That's pretty much all you need to keep your visitors coming back :D I looked for a discussion group, or something of the sort, but I didn't find one. Am I missing it, or is it that you didn't want to have one? Usually, having forums is supposed to be one way of hanging on to your visitors - particularly if they are packed with (the so-called) advanced features such as sending e-mail digests, and so on and so forth.Of course, adding that gmail login was very cool indeed. I'm still trying to figure out how you managed :( However - on a side note - I would suggest that you put up a privacy policy or something, to tell your users that the data being transmitted is safe, blah, blah. Users don't want to be left feeling that someone could be stealing their password :D I did check it out, and I think it's a wonderful feature. It will be really sad if it isn't used fully!Things I like about the design -- the dotted underline for hyperlinks, the layout.Things about the design that do not appeal as much -- the color combination. Although you might be successful at bringing a "matrix"ish feel to the site, I've noticed that a lot of users prefer the light backgrounds to the darker ones. There was an article coupled with stats that supported this theory - I will post the link if I can locate it. If, however, you're not using an external stylesheet, maybe you should stick to what you have.Good luck with the site, and I am sure I will check back soon!

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Please rate my site. Tell me what you think. What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? Also, tell me what I could do to improve it, and what I could do to keep my unique visitors. It seems as though once they leave, they don't come back.

Posted Image

Okay, a little background about it, and why I chose the design. I wanted a simple site, obviously. I didn't want to go all out on the graphics as it takes forever to load on dialup. I coded everything myself with the exception of the blog. Umm, that's about it.

I'm also thinking on a new design. Maybe one that's not quite dark....I don't know. Lemme know all your thoughts.

Thanks.

146725[/snapback]

Wow! Nice job. What kind software you used to develope your site?

Well since the topic is "Rate My Site" I'll vote it a 7/10! (I'm a hard voter)To keep more users coming you'd probably want to add more content, the drawing game would keep me there, and it seemed to be attracting other users too.When you say you created it all except the blog, does that mean you use something else to post new updates to your site?I like the dark green and black look :D(something off topic: what are you using for your stats? I'd like to know how many returning visitors I'm getting.)