xisto Community
alexia

Coding Your Sites ? Coding your sites

When I first started out like 6 years ago when i was in junior high, I did the rookie thing and used lots of frames. Then I moved into tables, and I'm still a huge fan of them. I remember when everyone used tables for everything. I havent done much designing in the past 3 years or so though, so I didn't break too much into using CSS to control layouts. Apparently thats the thing to do now, so I guess I'll have to learn. Theres seems to be a huge arguement over whats better. I still think tables are safer for browser compatability, which makes me tend to stick with them.Then asside from the HTML stuff I experimented a lot this year and learned javascript, asp (VBscript), and perl. So I'm definitely starting to incorporate those. More perl than anything. Recently I made a tool to randomly assign party jobs for my fraternity. It also lets you make specific assignments before the script runs. I'm also trying to write my own scripts for everything like form mail, and banner rotation etc instead of using the free ones online, so I learn more that way.I haven't broke down and learned PHP yet however. I'll probably start on that as my next project. PHP seems to be pretty big in the industry right now. I kinda missed out on that boat as well.

I pretty much just use CSS, that's the first thing I leared (besides obviously basic HTML). and now I am learning PHP and it is awesome! I love it. I don't know why I waited so long to get into it.I suppose learning some javascript will the the next essential thing to learn more about. I've only done really minor stuff with it (like a pop up window and such...)I think using talbes is indespensible, even when using CSS. it makes everything look nice and neat. whenever I use images and don't want the dumb save icon to come up on like an IE browser I just put it as the background in a table (and sites like IMDB.com use tables cleverly to keep ppl from grabing their images :rolleyes:)

I mastered HTML and Tables/CSS because I always use PHP. To use PHP, you must know HTML also, which let's me read tutorials about Tables/CSS.

When I first started out like 6 years ago when i was in junior high, I did the rookie thing and used lots of frames. Then I moved into tables, and I'm still a huge fan of them. I remember when everyone used tables for everything. I havent done much designing in the past 3 years or so though, so I didn't break too much into using CSS to control layouts. Apparently thats the thing to do now, so I guess I'll have to learn. Theres seems to be a huge arguement over whats better. I still think tables are safer for browser compatability, which makes me tend to stick with them.

145051[/snapback]

The awful times when the browsers did not display anything according to the standards are over. The tables were useful in that moment but now everything should be done with CSS. If you not believe in CSS visit CSS ZEN Garden they aim to convince the people that CSS are already the present and not just the future.

Well, on my site I use XHTML, CSS, PHP, and some JavaScript. JavaScript is for the little counter thingies that make it go '10 [1 second later] 9 [1 second later] 8' etc. PHP is the base of the site because that is my best programming language. I use it to add new features to my web site, and I am coding my own message boards source code using PHP. XHTML and CSS are what the pages run on, CSS makes the pages look beautiful, and XHTML is just cleaner. It's always nice to have an XHTML and CSS valid web site!

Well I started with Frontpage and my first site contained frames, then I got Dreamveawer and tried to start to use it. It was something new for me and I kinda didn't like it. But I use it only for making cords link on parts of image to get URL link.
Then I started to learn CSS and XHTML, so I have so medium knowledge about CSS and I really like it cause you can get your creativity unleashed, but important thing is to master your knowledge in Photoshop, cause in other case your site can be dull if you know only CSS and no Photoshop.

Good example is: CSS Zen Garden

:rolleyes:I use CSS, HTML, Javascript (for checking forms mainly) in the Presentation layer of the site, use Dreamweaver for this coding.I'm also trying to use JSP/Servlets and i'm using The Eclipse Project (open source) for the code developemment of the Business Logic and Database layers of the site.I also try to comply with the usabillity rules of W3CRegards to allnonon

:rolleyes:

I use CSS, HTML, Javascript (for checking forms mainly) in the Presentation layer of the site, use Dreamweaver for this coding.

I'm also trying to use JSP/Servlets and i'm using The Eclipse Project (open source) for the code developemment of the Business Logic and Database layers of the site.

I also try to comply with the usabillity rules of W3C

Regards to all

nonon

145277[/snapback]

Java-based programs are so slow! They eat big computer resources! And I think JSP/Servlets are resource hogs also...

What kind of coding do you use on your sites?

I have so far learnt using a little tables and div/css.  :lol:

145001[/snapback]

When I started out, I was about 9 (no joke, i'm just 14 now). I was using Frontpage 2000, and making a lot of bad decisions such as frames and BMP images, things like that.

Now I tend to do one of the following: code my site in notepad using PHP, HTML, CSS, SSI and Javascript. Or whip up a design in Macromedia Fireworks and export the slices to html, either just a site header, and add the extra work in Dreamweaver, or a full site design, wherever I want to add HTML, I just remove the image from the cell, and set it as the cell background.

I use PHP, CSS and Javascript quite often.

Although I do have ASP knowledge (which comes from 2 years of VB programming) on my back, incase I have to work with any Windows servers. (Plug: http://www.ashenempires.com/ - A site I designed and coded) :rolleyes:

I first started out like 6 years ago when i was in junior high, I did the rookie thing and used lots of frames. Then I moved into tables, and I'm still a huge fan of them. I remember when everyone used tables for everything. I havent done much designing in the past 3 years or so though, so I didn't break too much into using CSS to control layouts. Apparently thats the thing to do now, so I guess I'll have to learn. Theres seems to be a huge arguement over whats better. I still think tables are safer for browser compatability, which makes me tend to stick with them.Then asside from the HTML stuff I experimented a lot this year and learned javascript, asp (VBscript), and perl. So I'm definitely starting to incorporate those. More perl than anything. Recently I made a tool to randomly assign party jobs for my fraternity. It also lets you make specific assignments before the script runs. I'm also trying to write my own scripts for everything like form mail, and banner rotation etc instead of using the free ones online, so I learn more that way.