xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
AbstracT

Thought Provoking Music

Can't think of single song offhand, but...In Canada, I've been told at one time or another that Rush (a band from Toronto, Canada) is often dubbed as a "thinking person"'s band. I find that whenever I listen to their music I pay attention to the lyrics more than anything else because none (or very few of) their songs are love songs. Apart from that, Trent Reznor (aka Nine Inch Nails) and Crash Test Dummies are known to put out thought-provoking music, too.

I've got quite a few songs which make me think so I'll list you my favorites and some quotes from the lyrics to show you why...

Donots - Saccharine Smile ("She plays boys like a game of cards, dances to the beat of breaking up"; " don't believe a word from her dead lips, don't like the way she moves her hips, she ain't no sugar cube to me")

Silbermond - A stueckl heile Welt [a piece of perfect world] (its lyrics are composed from ad slogans; if all those products/comapnies kept their promises we'd live in a perfect world...)

Anti-Flag - School of Assassins ("Has your life got you down? Are you feeling lost and blue? I?m thinking maybe a career change is the best answer for you. You?ve never lived, never known true romance, till you've been taught the steps to the death dance. Fort Benning, Georgia's gonna teach you how to move!")

I don't listen to music for the thought processes it inspires. In fact, I hardly ever take note of the lyrics in songs which is probably why I prefer electronic music.

Have you ever heard a song that just made you think? What was it?

They Might Be Giants made me think a lot when I was growing up. Their songs are just so wierd you have to think hard to come up with a meaning for it like Whistling in the Dark, really a social commentary. Yeah, that's where I learned about palindromes. I guess the Beatles, not to be trite, but...they have a lot of deep songs...one of my favorites is The Fool on The Hill, geez pick any one of their songs and you have a philisophical discussion. Also, The Moody Blues song Question-love it. Bob Dylan-Blue Eyed Son (don't know if he actually wrote that) Damn, there are just too many- all oldies though and I am sick of that. Hmm...I wish there were more intellectually stimulating bands. That is why I like classical and Jazz. It is intellectually stimulating without any words.

I have to say Linkin Park's "Hands Held High" is a song which just makes me stop and think, also.. Stuff like "Where'd you go" and "Believe Me" by Fort Minor are songs which make me stop and listen every time its on.-reply by Kayy.

Tool. The band's entire purpose is to permit the listener to explore their own mind and the vast potential of music.   in the last 3 months I have listened to 1... Just 1 album as a main focus, and I still haven't fullytaken it all in. If you don't know which one to listen to,... I would suggest lateralus or 10,000 days.

Music that made me think?Let me see...Well, there are lots of catchy ones, but most don't make me think.Some songs that make me think:Chasing CarsViva La VidaLucky (Jason Mraz) And most if not nearly all of The Veronicas, they are the best.I can relate to them even though I have never had what they experienced before.

Definitely tool, any fan would tell you that this is a very intellectual band. They construct many of their songs based on mathematical foundations (such as the Fibonacci sequence used in the song "Lateralus"). The lyrics in the song 46 and 2 follows the topic of chromosomes and transitioning into a higher level of consciousness. By delving deep into your own psyche and challenging your inner demons in effect you personally evolve. Serj tankian of "System of a down" writes songs with very meaningful lyrics (including his solo albums). Although not exactly "thought provoking" but easily identifiable, are lyrics by "Billie Joe Armstrong" from Greenday. This is evident in songs such as "Jesus of suburbia", which contains the line "the center of the earth, is the end of the world". Little needs to be said about Rage Against the Machine and their efforts towards bring attention to issues about corporate America and corruption in general. (last i heard they had re-formed as a band)

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

I am a thinker by nature, so it takes very little to make me ponder life. Just keep that in mind... A few songs that make me think are:

Caught in the Crowd by Kate Miller-Heidke (she does several thought-provoking songs)

Let it Be or Yesterday by The Beatles (Any of their music is great)

Mad World by Tears for Fears

Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson

Universal Solider by Donovon

The Art of Suicide by Emilie Autumn

Cats in the Cradle and the Silver Spoon by Guns and' Roses

That's all I have. Most are a tad depressing or sad...Sorry 'bout that.

-reply by Joynick2000