xisto Community
mahesh2k

Hidden Quotes In Windows Xp

Well there are so many things we are not explored yet.i posted this in many forums.here is one copy for Xisto peoples.there is a secret file in Windows XP called "quotes". In order to get there you must be somewhat familiar with how to use Windows, simply open up My Computer (explorer) and double click on your main drive (probably C next navigate to: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc This is where the quotes file is. Open the file named quotes in your favorite text editor (notepad, MS Word, Emacs:p ) then look at the quotes put there by the MS developers! **note: I use Windows XP Pro, it might only work in professional edition ** On the screen in Win XP Pro where one logs in initially, there is a tiny little Easter Egg. Simply leave your computer on that screen long enough for the screensaver to come on. Then move the mouse. What happened? Well, look in the bottom left corner. The litte button marked "Turn of computer" now reads "Turn off Banana 2000"! ((For those who don't ge it, in the comic strip Bloom County, one character owned a Banana 2000 computer, which eventually became a character in its own existential right... walking around and everything)) Special Requirements: Windows XP Pro Candy Cane Pipes 1.Go to Display Properties 2.Click the Screen saver tab then Click 3D Pipes 3.Click Settings 4.Click Textured 5.Click Choose Texture 6.Click Cancel. 7.Click OK on the Screen Saver Setup Now The Pipes should be Candy Cane Colored!Hows going like it.more will be posted soon.

Cool :( The quotes aren't accessible with home but the candy coloured pipes are. You've made me changed my screeensaver. Congratulations :lol:I think that's very good. Looking forward to more of what you know.

Strange... I know my computer is running on XP Pro, but I didn't see the Quotes file. That's an interesting tutorial, thanks a lot! Now I'll be alert to see if there's something around the corner in XP. *drools for more secrets*

On the screen in Win XP Pro where one logs in initially, there is a tiny little Easter Egg.

Simply leave your computer on that screen long enough for the screensaver to come on. Then move the mouse.
What happened?
Well, look in the bottom left corner. The litte button marked "Turn of computer" now reads "Turn off Banana 2000"!

When you start up your computer for the first time, you are given the opportunity to name it and describe it. You can see the name and description, and change the description by right clicking on My Computer, going to Properties, then Computer Name. What you see at the bottom left on the login screen is the computer description.

As for the pipes, the candy canes is just the default texture. You don't have to hit cancel, just select textured.

Lastly, the quotes, I don't have it either. It's possible you just saved something there inadvertantly.

Well there are so many things we are not explored yet.i posted this in many forums.here is one copy for Xisto peoples.

there is a secret file in Windows XP called "quotes". In order to get there you must be somewhat familiar with how to use Windows, simply open up My Computer (explorer) and double click on your main drive (probably C next navigate to: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc This is where the quotes file is. Open the file named quotes in your favorite text editor (notepad, MS Word, Emacs:p ) then look at the quotes put there by the MS developers!

**note: I use Windows XP Pro, it might only work in professional edition **

On the screen in Win XP Pro where one logs in initially, there is a tiny little Easter Egg.

Simply leave your computer on that screen long enough for the screensaver to come on. Then move the mouse.

What happened?

Well, look in the bottom left corner. The litte button marked "Turn of computer" now reads "Turn off Banana 2000"!

((For those who don't ge it, in the comic strip Bloom County, one character owned a Banana 2000 computer, which eventually became a character in its own existential right... walking around and everything))

Special Requirements:

Windows XP Pro

Candy Cane Pipes

1.Go to Display Properties

2.Click the Screen saver tab then Click 3D Pipes 3.Click Settings

4.Click Textured

5.Click Choose Texture

6.Click Cancel.

7.Click OK on the Screen Saver Setup

Now The Pipes

should be Candy Cane Colored!

Hows going like it.more will be posted soon.

141363[/snapback]

Hey! I tried to find the quotes, and I wasn't able too... I even did a search for files or folders with 'quotes' in the title, but didn't find anything that looked too close to that. Oh well. And I'm using XP Pro too :lol:

As for the candy canes! Very cool! I got them working and now they are my screen saver. I suppose that means I'll have to get off my computer long enough for it to come on :(

Anyway, thanks for the info!

since there are so many people here who were unable to find the quotes-file (including me), could you just quote the quotes?I'll give the Banana 2000 a try when I boot my comp tomorrow and thanks for the hint to the pipes =)

Yes, I think it does only work for Windows XP Pro.. I'm at school and it doesn't work on these. So the guys at microsoft have a sense of humour :lol:

i cant find the quotes .. the candy cane is awesome... i changed from the stars to this one... in the etc folder, i only found 6 item.. none of them are quotes

Hey wow thats so cool, :D i dont have the quotes because im running on windows XP not PRO :) but the candy cane screensaver was really coolkeep me posted :)

Notice from cmatcmextra:
This post was in quote tags that were in my name. Removed them - as I did not say that.
Edited by cmatcmextra (see edit history)