xisto Community
RGPHNX

Windows "updates" Crashed Your Computer? How reliable is Windows OS ??

Has WindoZe "updates" ever crashed your computer??  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have a new laptop running Vista. It crashes or more correctly fails to reboot after I update. The only thing that allows it to boot up is a system restore. After the system restore is finished, Windows Update downloads the update again and then fails to reboot...An endless cycle of system restores and failed boots. I have since turned off Windows Update and everything is working fine again.Dgr

I remember on Windows XP I was using Internet Explorer to get Windows updates, sometimes IE6 freeze, but in most cases it didn't, I never understood why, but a reboot helped.Also, once I installed nvidia driver through windows updates, everything crashed, so I never did it again, but people say that on Windows 7 most updates are available and works well for audio, graphics and other drivers.Updating on Vista, I never had any issues. :)

WinXP updates caused serious problems for me, (loss of sound, loss of modem driver) and Ubuntu updates likewise caused some minor but temporary problems (temporary uninstallation of modem driver that was fixed when I finished updating EVERYTHING). I'm developing a real aversion to updating OS's. I never notice the benefits, and often notice the problems.

I remember my internet explorer crashes just after updated ie6 (or ie7?) And completely not responding since thenBut, well that just an useless internet browser anyway so i just let it go :)

If it is count as how many times after an update that caused some function not worked as before.It should about 3 times for me.Then I have to update again with another quickfix to solve the issue that issue again.That's why now I won't update too fast / quick and the only exception to this is some security bugs such as RPC, web server etc. I will take about 2 or 3 weeks to see if there are any issues or not.If everything was fine. Then go update the patch.

Updates Crash ComputerWindows "updates" Crashed Your Computer?

I to have experienced crashes after updates from Microsoft.  The one thing I have found that works every time is when you get the notice to restart your computer is do not click on "Restart Now".  Instead close out all windows and programs and restart the computer yourself.  I have found that this works with all of Windows OS all the way upto and including Vista.  I don't know about Windows 7, haven't experience that OS yet.

Hope this helps all.

Vista/XP service pack problemsWindows "updates" Crashed Your Computer?

Last month I installed both recent SPs, for Vista on a fair Gateway PC running Vista quite reliably (if 'reliably' is a word to be used in the same sentence as 'Vista'), and on a slightly older but very reiliable Fujitsu XP machine.  Both machines are now vastly slower (especially when running IE7) and the PC is repeatedly crashing when using Outlook.  How is it that a Microsoft update is screwing their own software?  I can only assume that the looming Windows 7 (which I have heard first hand from a beta-tester is pretty good - athletic and simple) has some bearing on the problem.  There are potential huge sales to be made of W7 this Christmas, and in the current recession what better way to force the public to but than to issue upgrades which trash the current (and in the case of Vista) impenetrable and unfixable operating systems.  If Macintosh had the sense to lower their prices a bit then Gates and Microsoft would I am sure be history. 

-reply by Jonathan

I have Windows Vista Premium pre-installed on my HP Pavilion 3000 notebook.

In early November 2009 I updated my OS and soon afterward found that my notebook would not start normally.

I had to roll back my configuration to before the updates. 

Once I did that, my notebook worked again.  

Bill Gates is the richest man in the world. I really don't mind that, per se. 

But shouldn't he earn all that wealth by making an OS that works?

I turned off my computer the night of the 22nd of November, 2009 and went to bed. Not knowing that Windows did a forced upgrade of service pack 2, which I already had installed, to my Acre 9300 Aspire. 4 gig ram, 120 gig HD.The next morning the computer would not load pass the black screen. This is the second time this has happen, the first time, I was still under warranty. I instructed my computer not to do any updates from Windows, but Windows must have a override of this feature when turning off your computer. Now it's going to cost me $118.00 to have my OS reloaded and lose programs. What is going on with the big Windows Corporation that keeps crashing computer across these United States and getting away with it.

I been a long time PC advocate, but I'm thinking of going MAC, No issues like MAC crashing a computer and if it does, you turn it off/on it fixes the problem. No fuss.

Replying to RGPHNX

I have Vista on a new laptop bought in June 2009. In October 2009 it crashed after a windows update. It did not loose my OS it lost all my personal files and pictures everything. Since then my Vista is running slow and causing me problems with programs that need a quicker action. Can anyone advise how I can re-speed up my computer and keep it safe while online too? I have diabled updates... I do not like them as it was a MS update that killed my one year old with XP professional on it and that time I lost everything including the use of the laptop. Please help by emailing me direct as I cannot be sure I can get back to this site again depends on whether through my own computer or someone elses. An Email will make it easy to find thanks

Mine Crashed...Windows "updates" Crashed Your Computer?

I've been running Vista Home Premium for just shy of 3 years without a single problem. Then last night, Dec. 3, 2009, it happened. It booted up but some startup progams did not load so the boot was not complete. There was no response from any program I tried to open. I waited over an hour at one point to see if it was something that would timeout, no go. I attempted to fix startup problems in the troubleshooter, but it found no problems. I booted over and over and over and I got the same exact results (definition of insanity, no?). I then tried a restore back to Nov. 30 and the restore completed successfully, but did not fix the problem. So, factory reset was all that was left.

My system is a Dell XPS 420, Q6600, 3GB, with no modifications whatsoever. Never had to call Dell for the first year it was in warranty, and never had to use that 10GB "recovery" partition Dell installed until now. Good on Dell for keeping it all ready to go. Had to delete the Dell junk as usual, but it's running as fast and smooth as it always has, which verifies it was not a hardware crash.

I had forgotten the joy of restoring a computer to the way one likes it. It's worse than moving. I did it 2 or 3 times a year with XP before Vista came along. Did an MS patch (Windows update) cause this? I think it's possible. The reason I think so is that the same day, my laptop running Vista 64 started acting strangely, although it didn't crash. It only reset the video resolution to it's lowest setting which I easily changed back and so far, no other issues have arisen. 

-reply by Geoff

I'm having a problem with the computer crashing upon starting. Once it gets going it's okay. This started right after a forced update. (Dang I hate it when you're in the middle of something and it keeps bugging you to shut down the computer. If I had the phone number of the microsoft pres. I'd call him every 2 minutes at supper time just to show him how irritating this is.)

On XP, after Microsoft updates -started PC this morning and everything back to basic XP, lost all documents, programs etc - serious pain - time for a dual boot of just plain Linux - not happy andafter reading the posts here - even more disappointed this is so common

HI AGAIN ALL,nO. nO. nO. ...SOME OF YOU'ALL AREN'T READING THE QUESTION correctly.. so let me clarify...
QUESTION:
AFTER you have downloaded AND installed a new Windows "update" ..
HOW MANY TIME HAS IT (IE. THE WINDOWS UPDATE) CRASHED YOUR COMPUTER ???

My personal experience through helping hundreds of other people is that.. It's a fairly common event/occurance.

No, I'm not looking for personal advice here.. I know what to do if this happens AND I personally run a multi/dual boot system (ie. Linux & Windows).. so it really doesn't cause major problems for me when MS$ messes up.

RGPHNX
PS- At this time...over seventy people have read this post so far.. BUT less than 10 have posted in the poll....
Come ON people.. support the community.. thru sharing KNOWLEDGE !!!
THANKS AGAIN

I have had this happen twice, total crash both new toshiba's ( windows 7)I am wondering if it is possible to keep from downloading these and what if anything I can do to repair (any kind of help is appreciated.. my laptop is how I submit my work so this last last update 5/2011 has really slowed me down.

Hi all, this is my first time posting. I am here because YEs my tower and lap top just crashed from the most recent Microsoft download. The tower is Windows 7 and the Lap Top is Vista, so maybe the "older" versons have less problems but the newer your microsoft verson the more you are going to have problems. I work in the hard drive field and YES there is most certainly a link between computer crashes and update. The problem is what do we do about it? Right now Adobe is in serious problem with their compatitability with W7. And Norton is hanging on barely. So that leaves the end user to do what? My suggestion is we push our Congressman to adopt legislation that addresses a sofwear company's responsibility when a crash occurs. I know our US Congress can't even decided if a crouch pic is theirs or not, but I don't see any other lasting solution, I am open for comments?