xisto Community
fsastraps

Where Did You Guys Learn Php? Any good suggestions on were i could start? (tutorials)

I think the best way is to google for what yo are trying to do. Like if you are looking for the syntax of a 'while' statement, just google "php while loop". There are enough sites out there that you should find something useful in one or two clicks.

I learned a lot of the basic stuff from Zend.com! :D I like how the tutorials are written, they are fun and easy to read.

I haven't really gone beyond that and wonder if those big fat php books I seen in bookstores would be worth it...?

I learned a lot of the basic stuff from Zend.com! :D  I like how the tutorials are written, they are fun and easy to read.

I haven't really gone beyond that and wonder if those big fat php books I seen in bookstores would be worth it...?

147529[/snapback]

I think Zend teamed up with PHP. That's why they are doing their best to promote PHP 5.

I learn day by day, studying other peoples scripts and learning from them. Its a long way round because I don't actully learn many commands, only the very extreme basics :)

can anyone from england please tell me from what store to get a good php book and also which in your opinion is the best book. I know many have said its not that good learning from books but i just want a good solid one for reference while im maybe browsing other sites or working on my own site. Thanks.

w3schools for sure. They have an amazing set of tutorials that can get you up and running quickly. Other than that lots and lots of hands on experience. I think once you get the basics it's best to learn through trial and error. As you program you'll come up with questions, you'll be interested in learning because it will solve the problem at hand, and Google has all the answers :-), really there is a lot of help out there on the web. I'm working on some tutorials at Learn PHP in 24 Hours myself but I'm still a far cry from the quality and quantity at w3schools.com. Edited by learnphpin24hours (see edit history)

w3schools for sure. They have an amazing set of tutorials that can get you up and running quickly. Other than that lots and lots of hands on experience. I think once you get the basics it's best to learn through trial and error. As you program you'll come up with questions, you'll be interested in learning because it will solve the problem at hand, and Google has all the answers :-), really there is a lot of help out there on the web. I'm working on some tutorials at Learn PHP in 24 Hours myself but I'm still a far cry from the quality and quantity at w3schools.com.

yeah,i agree that w3schools.com is good for learning web scripting, many people say that it's a good website and they pointed to me that site...just i don't really get into the scripting languages and whenever i start after 1day-week i finish lol and i learn some basic stuff and after that i forget them.

Also i suggest you to see some php books too.

I learned some PHP by looking at WordPress theme codes and looking it up at google. After some time, I was able to make my own plugin for SilverStripe. Didn't update it, though. Now, I have enough (barely little) PHP knowledge to help me with designing WordPress themes. Currently, I'm learning more through php.net and w3schools. I would also recommend install XAMPP in your computer so it's easier to play around with codes.

I learnt PHP by looking phpBB codes. It was an advanced level but i was trying to understand them.. I was searchin all of the functions from php.net and if i had any question i asked them in the forums.. This continued about 3 or 4 months. The I started to write my first script...Now i think i can do lots of thinq with PHP.. I love PHP and still learning PHP :)

Everyone learns differntly, I personaly use Xampp with notepad pro and just go at it trial and error. I use sites too, to get scripts from and then I modify them to suit what I need. I run php games so I need to fix problems alot of the time. this for me is the best way to learn and to also ask for help every now and then too, so you can learn for others