xisto Community
Styx

Photoshop Cs2 whos got it? --- opinions on pros cons

ok, i've upgraded from photoshop CS to CS2. i like it, there's new features and perks that make work so much easier. i don't like that the box beside the layers is gone, linking and grouping, making layer sets, etc, is alot more time consuming than it was before. IMO, that should not have been changed. But to make up for that, the ability to customise menus is there, a truly great feature. what are your thoughts on CS2, its pros & cons?

Okay guys, guess who got Photoshop CS2 yesterday (and forgot to post about it.) Yup, I did! Don't ask how though.Anyways, CS2 is pretty cool, it has a couple new features, but nothing too "WOWAWESOMEMGOMGOMG"-ish. The smart objects and such aren't really anything too special... They did, however, make the history and layer box into one, which gets annoying, switching back and forth, but I think you can change that...What I did notice right away, however, is that CS2 still takes just as long to load as CS did, only now it takes even more memory. Every time a dialog box loads it takes about a minute, which is a LONG time for a simple box to load up. It's almost sickening how long it takes to load up the filter gallery. Seriously.So, my advice to anyone looking to upgrade from 7 or CS, don't. If you already have those, you're fine, and you're not missing out on anything much. All you're going to do is spend more money on a slower, very very slightly modified Photoshop.***Oh, and also, for some REALLY stupid reason that I don't know, my keyboard shortcuts no longer work. That means everything from copy/paste to creating new layers to deselecting. I'm probably gonna get totally irritated and move back down to CS sometime soon.And this is all coming from a guy who, 72 hours ago, couldn't wait to get his hands on it.EDIT -- Hurgh, I accidentally started a new topic about this, because this wasn't in the Photoshop forum, and therefore, I didn't see it. I wouldn't have thought to look in Software...EDIT2 -- My Adobe "Bridge" also doesn't load at all, it just gives an error and closes. I'm sure it doesn't do this in the "store-bought" version, but still...it sucks.

Edited by Johnny (see edit history)

It's quite a bit slower than CS, and the download was 336 mb! I mean that's a lot of space, and I don't see many new features at all. Nothing really new, I'm going to downgrade to 1 where I have already registered.Not very good, I'm kind of depressed.

It's quite a bit slower than CS, and the download was 336 mb! I mean that's a lot of space, and I don't see many new features at all.

Nothing really new, I'm going to downgrade to 1 where I have already registered.

Not very good, I'm kind of depressed.

135777[/snapback]

Oh, is there a trial version out too? I didn't know that...I have the full one...

oh no, i forgot where to put this post. didn't occur to me about the photoshop section. -_- NEways, i'm adding some more comments on it. I haven't had any problem with Adobe Bridge opening. not like it's a feature i'll be using so much (don't think) because i never used the file browser either. the full and trial version are the same. when installing it asks if you want to install the full version, or just a 30 day trial. of course you need the serial for the full version.it can handle the 64-bit processors, and huge ram amounts, better than CS. so if u fall into that category, it's worth. otherwise i would stick with CS too. i mean, i like a lot of the new stuff in CS2, but the price isn't worth it yet. in a while it'll be cheaper. but maybe one reason why it worked slower for you is because it needs a much better computer to run properly than CS1. suppose it'll be the same with Longhorn--it's supposed to need this great system to run properly. yeah, opening time for me was also about the same as CS. but it does run faster for me, once opened.the keyboard shortcuts worked fine for me, no problem, and i could edit and change them.well, nothing so extremely awesome, but it does help me shave off precious minutes here and there when working.BTW--has anyone gotten the full Creative Suite CS2 yet?

oh no, i forgot where to put this post. didn't occur to me about the photoshop section.  -_-

NEways, i'm adding some more comments on it.

I haven't had any problem with Adobe Bridge opening. not like it's a feature i'll be using so much (don't think) because i never used the file browser either.

the full and trial version are the same. when installing it asks if you want to install the full version, or just a 30 day trial. of course you need the serial for the full version.

it can handle the 64-bit processors, and huge ram amounts, better than CS. so if u fall into that category, it's worth. otherwise i would stick with CS too. i mean, i like a lot of the new stuff in CS2, but the price isn't worth it yet. in a while it'll be cheaper. but maybe one reason why it worked slower for you is because it needs a much better computer to run properly than CS1. suppose it'll be the same with Longhorn--it's supposed to need this great system to run properly.

yeah, opening time for me was also about the same as CS. but it does run faster for me, once opened.

the keyboard shortcuts worked fine for me, no problem, and i could edit and change them.

well, nothing so extremely awesome, but it does help me shave off precious minutes here and there when working.

BTW--has anyone gotten the full Creative Suite CS2 yet?

136475[/snapback]

Well, yeah, ever since my old processor burned out, I've been running on a really crappy system. That's most likely the root of all evil. I dunno what the deal is with my keyboard shortc----

YES! Prince of Persia's done! *runs off*

Hmm, after taking a look at Adobe's website, the new features seem interesting. But since Macromedia and Adobe mered, it wouldnt been nice to see a version of photoshop and dreamweaver combined into one nice application

well... im running on CS and i like it, my best friend told me that he got his new PS and it totally sucked, so well im not losing anything good, besides.. i don't like CS much, and he also told me that it REALLY slowed his computer

I have it too, it suddenly came out, no big launch and no news on yahoo or anything. Adobe is a bit boring though, i like corel painter for now. But hey, adobe will awlays be essential. Like a side kick. I aquired it but hey, im only a a kid.

One of my friends said that Photoshop C2 had something called a perspective point or something like that, where if I were to cut the background from an image that had a tilt (like a school behind me in the foreground) it would change the perspective of the school. I know I sound confusing, but I can't remember what it is called, sorry.