xisto Community
Charlie

Is Australia Like America?

i have no opinion at all for them,who owned differet characteristic and spirit but both show the advanced thought to world.maybe a certain movie indicate difference or similar,but in real life,i think they are not like in nature.

do you think Australia is like america and why? I think is is from all of the movies we watch. what do you think?

134507[/snapback]

Well, America is Upside Down They Use a Different System from us (Australia) they dont use the Metric System. And They Drive on the Left Side rather on the Right Side, USA is runned by the Precident (Bush) But Australia is by the Queen of England. We have Holden But They Ripped us of by ripping of Holden Cars. They are The First Fattest Country in the World, but Australia is Second Fattest Country in the world. Australia's Address is .com.au but Americas is .com. America Has Nuclear Wepons and Australia Dont. AMERICA is spelt Different Than AUSTRALIA, the differences keeps on going, so Yeah, I dont think Australia is like America. Every Coumtry is Unique.

I can't tell if you were being serious about the Queen Mum ruling Australia. I hope to Vishnu that you were not.

I can't tell if you were being serious about the Queen Mum ruling Australia. I hope to Vishnu that you were not.

134515[/snapback]

I'm Telling o Krishna I'am

I think Australia and America are different, but Australia is becoming more and more like America...Especially in the sense of what's on TV...Australia seems to be showing more and more American shows, which is a shame. I like the old Aussie TV shows.I think the music is very similar too. Australia seems to be getting more American music than Aussie music...The movies are similar too...all the movies seem to be coming from America :lol:. I think from all the movies and TV shows, Australians are kind of being taught to act American, which is a little scary. But yeah, that's just my opinion.Other than that Australia and America do have their differences. Australia uses the metric system, America doesn't. Australia and America spell things differently like colour and color. America has a president, Australia has a Prime Minister. Australia and America have different slang terms, which is something I like...I hope the Aussie slang never changes. lol. And the list goes on...

My best online friends have always been Australian, and I agree there are a lot of different slang terms. Sometimes I don't realize how rude something completely clean might be taken. :lol:Also, there are difference in the gun laws, they are stricter in Australia. There's difference in what sorts of medicine that you can buy over the counter- they are stricter in America.

Being Australian myself, I would say that Australia is as 'Americanized' as any other country. As in, we have the fast-food outlets, the high budget Hollywood movies, etc...You have to remember that Australia is only a very 'young' country compared with the rest of the world, only being colonised by the British just a bit over two hundred years ago. Although the closest neighbour is Asia, Australia seems to try very hard to keep up with the rest of the Western World [like USA, UK and Europe].

Well the A at the beginning and the A at the end of the spellings are same :DWell I havent had the pleasure to go visit both continents yet but im sure they both have very different lifestyles -_-. Also I havent heard of a kangaroo in America, please fill me in if you have :D:D~ Munchie ~

Yeah i guess they are pretty different but i actually agree with you, from the influence of television and magazines (the media mainly) hollywood, etc, we are acting more and more like americans, and jhonny howard isnt helping .. i dont really think i should go any further than that.. hehe.. but australia is A LOT more casual. Laid back, easy going -_-

A recent BBC poll of several countries, including Australia, suggests that the Aussies do feel some kinship with the Americans even moreso than the Brits, a historically prominent ally. As a matter of fact, the Aussies scored the Americans pretty high in just about all categories with only the Israelis and Canandians scoring them higher. Not surprisingly the middle eastern countries and Mediterranean countries scored the Americans lowest, oh as did France. There's a big shock, right? France, I fear, as has been shown in the past, will have to continue to learn the hard way, terrorism will come regardless of what you say at the UN. As long as your beliefs are different, your skin a different color, and you allow your women to walk about without burkas then you are their enemy. As long as you worship Jesus and not Allah and as long as you value the right to choose your own destiny or speak your own mind then you are a potential target of the extremist who will stop at nothing. There are a few authors who would attest to this statement, if only they would come out of hiding long enough to speak. Everyone wants to believe that America went in to Iraq for the oil and in a manner they did but not for themselves. They went in because intel was saying that radical extremist had figured out the Achilles heel of the entire world and that was oil, which the mideast countries have in abundance. Grab the oil and the world is at your mercy. America and Britain were the only ones willing to send in troops, under the guise of pushing Saddam out of power, to keep the extremist from pushing their plans towards fruition. By entering one country, in force, America and Britain gave the others reason for pause. Destabilization will continue, it is supposed too, but perhaps America has delayed it somewhat while the rest of us figure out plan B. Just a thought.-greg

Yes, I agree to an extent that more american TV shows have been hitting our screens. While at the same time, at least there is a bit of less ignorance, especially with less people assuming that there are kangaroos hoping all over Sydney! and while there were also some that assumed that Kangaroos were also pets (eg like a dog), the people that thought or assumed that are much less now then there used to be in the 80s. At least an awareness campaign, combined with recent world events such as the Sydney 2000 olympics has changed many people's perception of Australia, after reading in the past about some people assuming that "we drink fosters a lot"... Sure some workers may have drinks after work!, but generally many dont drink too much (of course there are a few exceptions and some that do tend to ruin things).But now, most overseas tourists are aware that Australia is a developed country, also multi-cultural with other foods and drinks, and the like. Combined with hard-working and a bit of laid back type culture.

I think yours is a very generic question... not that easy to answer.What do you mean by that question by the way... also...Both the countries are not one on the same. There are so many differences among them.So please be specific in your question.

I am also Australian, and I find it sad how it is becoming Americanised. :D

Many people are spelling things the American way, are abandoning the good old Aussie rock music (go Eskimo Joe!) for American hip-hop and rap...

Big American companies are taking over our economy, too... they buy all the true blue Aussie brands, and then sell them as their own. :rolleyes: Obviously, once the Americans begin selling the products, they're no longer fair dinkum... made in China... ;)

I find it depressing, actually. Not to mention Howard's gay affair with Bush :D

Also, there is this perception that American kids or those with an American accent are cooler than the others... yeah... I go to James Ruse, and no Americans there :D

I wish they'd just lay off! And I would like Australia to become a republic, by the way.

I do agree that Australians are more like the British than the Americans (at least the poms can play cricket). However, Australians are more laid back than the other two.

As for TV shows... I love the classic Aussie shows! Especially comedies: Rove, The Wedge, Thank God You're Here... and then they replace those cool shows with YET ANOTHER one of those American crime series... there must be at least 5 of them airing in one night on Sydney free tv... especially Channels 9 & 10... Channel 7 is my favourite :D

Edited by bthaxor (see edit history)