xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Se?or Maniac

My Site Was Hacked Once Already.

I have three legal for password : ---Use a password with mix charaters random lowcase , upcase and digitals ! ---Length password must greater 10 character ! ---This password never written down paper and only have you know it ! Password never put in mail or other anywhere !

Hmm.. perhaps you could use a longer password, an alphanumeric password composed of both letters and numbers, and one that does not contain any recognizable words. Pick something that nobody else would guess, like your pet's middle name.

Also, you could try finding out who logged on, and having them banned. :( I'm sure it's possible.

Uh yeah what he said but....wtf your pets middle name? who the **** gives a pet a middle or last name? O_o_O
I think that Zenchi more ment obscure words or phrases that no one but you would know, rather than literally your pets middle name.

Having said that, some people give their pets extremely long names. And they are perfectly free to do so.

whatever be the password...the longer it is the more difficult it is to crack using bruteforce.If the hacker is someone closeby and you use easy passws like jone39 or bobby26.3you can be sure as hell that you will be hacked down..Try changing your passwords frequently..Don't write them downthese might act as a safety precaution...:)

Well, isn't the best protection for such things in a software or a login application to just make a time limit on every error with a bad password on that username? then the bruteforce attack will be working for a very long time and will be complicated..Or lets say when 6 times the password was entered with an error for that username, the login application just stalls and needs an confirmation code to continue (lets say it sends an email where you need to push a special url for your account to be enabled or something like that) and even if the brute force guesses the password, it won't work? and lets say with 40 attempts to guess a password with an error, the server will just ban the ip and problem solved? of course if the brute force or whatever attack is coming from one IP..Of course, using a better strong password is also much better than just lets say bobby21 ;] something longer and with uppercase and lowercase letters + numbers could be used and maybe even somekind of symbols in some random way. :)

Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)

If it's wordpress then i suggest updating it very often. You just can't afford to keep it unupdated cause there are many hackers hacking wordpress sites. Also don't put that META site loging and other links on page. Don't let anyone know that this is the particular CMS. There are ways you can avoid this from happening. Just take some basic precaution first so that you don't get hacked so easily from that.

This thread is so, so old... 6 years in fact.being hacked doesnt mean your password got guessed or stolen, it could be anything from SQL injection, a compromised host, XSS attacks, most methods can give access to the website not just a compromised password in which case changing the password is as useful as a "no tools are left in this van overnight" sticker. Yes they are, and we know they are...

Old script getting hacked is the one reason. I got my SMF forum got ahcked and i found that hacker placed some folders on public_html. reason could be those sql injection and other stuff. So just one fail for update and results are like that. So we all need to update the scripts we use like wordpress, smf etc. it's not just password.