xisto Community
JeffS

"safe" Peer To Peer? Spyware and adware free?

Pretty much safe?I can't claim to be any expert, but I have used the fasttrack network (Kazaa, grokster, etc.), the edonkey2000 network (emule, edonkey, etc.), Napster, Bearshare, WinMX, and bit torrent. Of all of those, bit torrent was the medium that indicted me. I know that MGM is actively seeking peer-to-peer infringers, or what it percieves to be infringers, with bit torrent clients. They downloaded several files from me. And it makes sense. Bit torrent is very organized, and everything is neatly labelled. The other peer-to-peer networks are much more chaotic, and thus, somewhat more protective.Bit torrent is an excellent technology, but definitely not "safe".

I use soulseek but it isn't free of spyware...i'm now running microsoft anti-spyware utility...I'll try shareazaa, hope it's as good for mp3 as soulseek...

use limewire i had it mouths and mu comp is fine no spywere or anything and al the files you need are there and they work unlike kazaa

what i've done is put together a pentium 2 from spare parts i had laying around, and set that one up as my downloader. so when i want to get P2P stuff, etc, i just hook that one up. then burn downloads to cd and transfer to my work computer. so far it's worked.

I'll give you my direct oppinion on this:There is NO safe P2P engine P2P is like you reach in to some guy's pocked to get something and in the same time 10 more guys reach in your pocked to grab your stuff....I mean that when you download something with P2P you are connected to some other guy's computer and that guy is using P2P in the same time as you... thats why download speeds are slower than usual...and plus while you have opened your engine people from all over the world can access your computers like hackers they have special ways of finding your ISP adresses .. IP adresses hosts etc.. whatever you have... so frankly im strictly AGAINST any P2P engine no matter how much people tell me that its safe...Yesterday without running any program i caught a Trojan ( and i had 3 firewalls on My antivirus, windows firewall and some other anti virus firewall) so imagine what can happen to ppl who use P2P...

Ok here is basically what i think of peer to peer programs. There is no safe per to per program. If you download a program off of someones computer you can't insure its virus free. If you want to use these programs then virus scan every file you download or your computer will have like 1 million viruses like my old one.

I thought Soulseek was free of spyware... that?s what I use most. I also use Azureus and Emule.Things are going dangerous lately... maybe I?ll have to try ShareazaHow about DC+? Has spyware?

Limewire Lite: I wouldn't suggest it if you are not going to pay the $18.88 for the pro version. It has a very 'attractive' look to it.

Limewire PRO: If you are going to get Limewire, get the PRO or dont get any. It also has a very 'attrative' look to it. If you dont want to spend any money for Limewire PRO, you should get :

Ares It is slightly slower than PRO, but faster than Lite. It also uses less system resorces. I notice games slow to a crawl on Limewire, but not on Ares. If your computer downright sucks, get Ares. Or get:

WinMX is kind of a fuse between Limewire and Ares, it uses little system resorses, and is kinda attractive. I dont really like WinMX because it lies to you sometimes. It says its connecting, yet in reality it cant find any sorces.

BITTORRENT GET IT NOW. <_>

I think the best two p2p programs are limewire and emule for these reasons, emule has a good thingy that shows you the parts of a file you need to download, and it keep/gets rid of good/corrupt parts for you...limewire is fast and there is alotof stuff on it!!! and they are both free easy downloads, i still dont undrstand bit torrent fully...so i stayed away from that, btw if you use emule or edonkey check out http://www.filehash.com/ good for searching before downloads, ok, thanks...:P

For safe browsing p2p you should be in Canada or you should register yourself in a place sorry currently i dont know the address but there is a place you will be asked for some few bucks and after that you can download free torrents so all the best and please dont tell that torrent is illegal LOL because torrent main purpose is sharing files worldwide

Use peerguardian 2.Peer guardian is an ip blocker and solves most of the problems with adware and spyware. If the government is trying to track you, it will block their ip from connecting to your computer. It really is a lifesaver.This is more and more a problem now days - but of course, only if you are downloading illegal files. The RIAA is all over everyone's butt about music. I've actually heard of more than one court case recently.Final thoughts - if you're going to p2p, remember that the best spyware blocker is yourself. Don't download irresponsibly.