xisto Community
JeffS

Testing Php? How can I test it offline?

Hi guys. I'm wanting to learn PHP. Is there a way I can check my code to see if it works without having to upload it to my server? Could it be that my computer doesnt have PHP installed or something? Can someone please show me where to download it and how to set it up? Thanks a lot. help is greatly appreciated.

do a quick search for XAMPP using Xisto search above. :blink: it's what i use to test my PHP/MYSQL offline.

Thanks for the quick reply. THis is exactly what I was looking for. I cant belive it comes with that much stuff. Just the thing I was hoping for from a friendly neighbourhood moderator.

Sorry I cant find an edit button...Could you tell me how to get it to run so I see the output and not the code in my browser?

i have never used that program either but you can setup php on your own computer so you can view the output in internet explorer. Basically, you need to install IIS (comes with windows XP PRO). Under control panel choose add/remove programs, then install/remove windows components and pick IIS. Next, you need to download the php files (windows install) and run the install program. It will set everything up for you. After that, if you view php files in IE it will display properly.

php download is here

http://php.net/downloads.php

due to the fact that i can't read german im hacing a problem installing its saying that im missing the php cli file using windows version

For my offline web page workings in PHP and MySQL, I use Firepages phpdev - http://firepages.com.au/
It sets up everything on your Windows machine where it runs Apache with PHP installed on that. I'm still using the old version phpdev4, but there is a newer version called phpdev423 which has PHP 4.2.3 included.
They have a big support forum if you get in trouble, but I have never needed it as it all runs smoothly even on my Win98SE machine.

Sorry I cant find an edit button...

Could you tell me how to get it to run so I see the output and not the code in my browser?

71394[/snapback]

check your xammp folder and you should see some exe files to START and STOP running xampp. :) create desktop shortcuts so you can easily have access to these. once xampp is running (use the START one), you can type LOCALHOST/ in your browser and work your way from there. (for more info, there should also be readme files in english and german in your xammp folder. :) readme_en is the english one [just in case it may not be obvious to some :D].)

caveat: make sure you have the correct xampp download for the OS you have. there are 4 distribution types: linux, windows, mac os x, and solaris.

here's some FAQs:

https://www.apachefriends.org/community.html

(don't worry, Saint_Michael, it's in english :blink:)

for test your Code or CMS you can download softwares to Manage Apache serves to php and mysql
the best way to check offline is isntall apache server with php and my sql and the best way for manage then is manual
This kind of software can not good manage apache server to php
i use wamp5
And u can download it in sites
do you know what is wamp5 name ?
it is Windows - Apache - MySQL- PHP5 :)
but i hate php5 :lol:
this software manage Apache server to php and isntall mysql server in windows OS and this software has phpmyadmin and Sql litemanager for create and manage your database

WAMP5 is part of the WAMPSERVER project
WAMPSERVER is managed by the PHPTEAM.

Author : Romain Bourdon (aka Roms from Kaptive)
Email : contact@wampserver.com
Homepage : http://www.wampserver.com/

Installation created with Inno Setup
Manager created with Aestran Tray Menu
the Install file size is :: 19.8MB
Its large ?
i use this software
but another software for this work is minixampp-win32-1.2
Its not Full Automatic
and I think Wamp5 is better than minixampp-win32-1.2

Get sources codes just by asking at contact@wampserver.com

Replying to JeffSTry QuickPHP. It's perfect for beginners as there's no installation required - not Apache, not PHP. Just download QuickPHP, and run it. It's got both a web server and PHP built-in.Visit the QuickPHP page for more info:http://www.zachsaw.co.cc/?pg=quickphp_php_tester_debuggerâ??=quickphp_php_tester_debugger_moreinfo