xisto Community
choetry

I Bought A Domain Name And Need Help Step by step help for a layman

I don't know much about this but I just bought a domain name anyway from http://www.mydomain.com/. And I have put the nameservers to NS1.TRAP17.COM and NS2.TRAP17.COM, and added my domain in the Xisto cPanel Parked domain list, and according to the tutorial by ill and the pinned topic by OpaQue in 'hosted members area'(although i do not understand much of the article), I have to wait for about 2 days.Did i do things right?And the next question, I use Microsoft Frontpage to upload my file to shizhou.trap17.com and do i still do the same thing once i get to use my own domain? or do i have to change anything?thanks

You did the right thing. Congrats. Now wait for 2 days for the domain to propogate to Xisto's servers.You will still have to upload everything the same way you did before. Hopefully, that won't be a problem. :)

It's right thing you ve did just as snilidud said.but there is something little matter with it.You have waited 2 days?I think you need to contact your domain registration service of custom.I 'm ever used Top level domain I think it's should be the problem of your registration .It's my own opinion.

nah, I just registered and it's only been like 1 hour... So, will my Xisto url be accessible after i get my domain?

My domain was accessible almost immediately after switching my nameservers. It wasn't even 10 minutes after I changed the nameservers that I was able to access my main page.You could say that my domain name is an aphrodisiac, because it leads to rapid propagation. :) Hardy har har, okay I'll be quiet now.

if it is a new domain, the change is very fast. As soon as the domain is activated you should be able to change name servers. Once the name servers are changed, it should only take a few minutes for your domain name to work. This is because the domain name never existed before and there are no "old" nameserver data out there.

Forwarding would just redirect you to your Xisto subdomain. For example, going to yourdomain.com would change the address bar to yourdomain.trap17.com, and if you go to yourdomain.com/contact, you'll get a 404 error.I'd just change the nameservers like you just did, and park your domain in your cpanel. Then you'll be all set. :)

YOu did the right thing. It won't take two days. It will take about 24 hours to propagate your domain to the world wide web. Since you already have an account here in Xisto.com, all you have to do is ADD your new domain using your CPANEL > ADDON DOMAIN. While adding it will ask you which sub-domain name you wanted to use it from youraccount.trap17.com, I suggest you put yourdomain.com name as the sub-domain. By doing this using the yourdomain name which has become sub-domain of your existing account will be created as one folder at public_html folder. You must upload all your files and folder to the new folder (yourdomain folder). Now if you visit your site http://www.yourdomain.com/ after 24 hours it will reach at your sub-folder at your Xisto.com existing account. This is the way, you need no redirection of sort to youraccount.trap17.com. I hope this help...!

ooohh damn you =PU my domain took like 4 days to propagate i even thought it would never function u_uU but now i have it ;_;! and im happy oh domain i love you *hugs it* and choetry did you put the "Add-on" option? or the "Park domain" because i think it's the Parked one, =) the parked options let's you use http://www.yourdomain.com/index.php instead of you.trap17.com/index.php

i bought from Yahoo.. propagation time only took about not more than 20min.. after that it start working.. one thing i noticed about is that the capitolize of "NS1.TRAP17.COM" buzz me error then need to be small letter "ns1.trap17.com".... not so sure wut is that mean!!

i also bought from yahoo and it was really quick as well. Once it was activated (when I could change nameservers), it was only a few minutes before I was able to access the site.Also, I prefer add-on domains rather than parked domains. They look the same on the surface but parked domains are actually redirects. If you want to host more than one site on your account you can't use parked domains. Parked domains are for people who buy all the variations of their site name and redirect it to one site. Example: site.com, site.org, site.net can all be parked and will be redirected to the correct website (although it will still show different addresses in the browser). Add-on domains on the other hand, are good for multiple sites on the same webspace. It creates a sub directory and associates that subdirectory with your domain. I prefer this method.

DOMAIN PROPOGATION DEPENDS ON YOUR ISP. it varies depending on how often your ISP refreshes...:)

Hi:My situation and question is similar...so I figured I would post here rather than start a new thread. I own my own domain name. I have it cloaaked and going to my current host (free space provided by my ISP). Now I want to point it at the Xisto.Where do I do that? Do I do that from the Cpanel on Xisto? Or do I do that on the site that is currently cloaking my domain (the company I registered with).Thanks for all your help. :)