xisto Community
zorba4

The new Windows10 1809 Update

6 minutes ago, M6NEN said:

have you ever known it any different at Microsoft

A couple of years ago, it was possible to stop the update process, and wait a little bit until all the bugs were fixed.

Today my system is automatically updated to the next bugged level. And I have to google each bug in order to find a workaround.

2 minutes ago, yordan said:

A couple of years ago, it was possible to stop the update process, and wait a little bit until all the bugs were fixed.

You can still turn off the auto update in Windows 10.

Windows Key+R (Or right-click=>run), type gpedit.msc and click OK.

Then go to Computer Configuration >Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.

On the left in Configured Automatic Updates, select "Disabled", click Apply and OK.

This should turn Automatic Updates off.

Worth giving it a try, I would say.

37 minutes ago, yordan said:

However, this will not help my frieds who have the family Windows edition :(

Not so sure, you could go and have a look here to learn more about this.

I think you might find one or two hepful points there.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards.

Yes, I know.

However,  these seem to be non-Microsoft things. I don't want to install non-Microsoft things on a friend's computer, in case of trouble he could think that his attack came from my software ?

The big update today did not solve the keyboard problem. So, let's wait and see, maybe the next one will do the job.

By the way, it seems to be a problem within the update process itself. Installing a fresh 1809 version did not lead to such keyboard problem. So, clearly the problem occurs when a keyboard works perfectly on an onld windows 10 version sees a new version arriving and stops working on some programs.

15 minutes ago, yordan said:

The big update today did not solve the keyboard problem. So, let's wait and see, maybe the next one will do the job.

By the way, it seems to be a problem within the update process itself. Installing a fresh 1809 version did not lead to such keyboard problem. So, clearly the problem occurs when a keyboard works perfectly on an onld windows 10 version sees a new version arriving and stops working on some programs.

I am really surprised to read all that.

I never had any keyboard problems after doing the upgrade.

However, it is not unheard of that different people experienced different problems with the same Windows upgrades.

I wonder if it had something to do with Microsoft neglecting to test the different architectures, motherboards, CPUs and what not on different machines.

That is about the only logical explanation I can think of, how else could you explain exactly the same Operating System causing different problems (or none) for different users?

The great misteries of Microsoft maybe?

4 minutes ago, M6NEN said:

I never had any keyboard problems after doing the upgrade.

OK, it's not a real keyboard problem. My keyboard works for almost everything, except Microsoft Edge address bar and Cortana search bar.  So, it's not a keyboard detection problem, it's simply a cftmon process problem. cftmon is in charge of some language features, so you probably never had them if your main language is English.

1 minute ago, yordan said:

OK, it's not a real keyboard problem. My keyboard works for almost everything, except Microsoft Edge address bar and Cortana search bar.  So, it's not a keyboard detection problem, it's simply a cftmon process problem. cftmon is in charge of some language features, so you probably never had them if your main language is English.

Ah, OK.

That changes (or, might change) matters a bit.

As I don't use Microsoft's rubbish browsers (as I indicated in an earlier post) I am not (or hardly) familiar with the settings involved, but are you sure you have not missed (or misconfigured) something int Microsoft Edge's or Cortana's settings?

It is easily done sometimes as little things or boxes to tick or whatever can be easily overlooked, and, to be quite honest, some settings can easily lead to confusion.

It might be worth double checking there, I would say.

OK, I'll try that.

Simply, I also never touch edge or Cortana.

Simply, sometimes you can't avoid using Microsoft things, that's why I'm mentioning this problem. I was simply surprised seeing that occurring after an update.

9 minutes ago, yordan said:

Simply, sometimes you can't avoid using Microsoft things, that's why I'm mentioning this problem. I was simply surprised seeing that occurring after an update.

Yes, that is 100% correct.

That is why I mentioned the issue about the settings.

Also, that is why I am not familiar with the settings in those programs, as I only use them once in a blue moon.

Hope you find what you're looking for, and if you do, please let us know, will you?

Thank you in advance.

There is something else I have noticed very recently, although I am not sure whether or not it has something to do with the 1809 upgrade.

My folder for Microsoft Office has disappeared from the All Programs list, the funny thing is, all my programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access.....) still work, but every time I have to go digging into \C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Blahblahblah to run one of the Office components. (Unless of course, if I am opening a program like a doc(x) file or the likes, then it obviously opens with the correct program).

I know you can create shortcuts to all those programs on your desktop, but I don't really want to clutter my desktop needlessly, and the option "Add to start" does not make any difference, so, the only option would be to re-install Windows Office, which I don't really fancy.

I was wondering if there is an optional cure for the problem.

If anyone knows if a) it is Win10 1809 related and/or b) Knows a cure for the problem

Please give me a shout.

Of course, I guess that if you type "word" in the Cortana search bar, it will show you Microsoft Word as an installed application and will allowed you to start it ?

Now that you mention it, yordan: it does indeed.

I hadn't even thought that far.

However, I find that a bit of a clumsy solution, but, hey ho, it works.

I just wish there was a way I could put my MS Office folder back in All Programs without having to do a complete re-install.

Oh, by the way, Happy easter to you and all the other forum members.

Don't get sick from eating too many Easter eggs.