xisto Community
zorba4

The new Windows10 1809 Update

1 minute ago, yordan said:

The device manager says "correct".

However, maybe it's not a keyboard problem. Some people I google said they solved their problem when taking another mouse. So, mouse and keyboard are not independant ?

I'm afraid I'll have to pass on this one.

No idea.

I am going from one surprise to the next here.

Cortana, keyboard, mouse....

Anything else while you're at it?

What I'm going to ask is probably a stupid question, but have you tried clicking on the microphone next to "Type here to search" on the bottom left of your screen?

That is where you get Cortana to speak and give her permission to operate.

As i said, probably a stupid question and probably clutching at straws here, but you never know.

Keep me posted, please.

The result is that the bugs I was hoping they would solve still exist. My realtek driver issue is not yet solved :( The system performance is not good and I was hoping for a major speed improvement. I have not installed the drivers for from the manufacturer website. All drivers are automatically installed by Windows. After the update, I got a pop-up box showcasing some new features the Windows10 team added. I did not notice any negative issues after the update.

Recently I updated my Android One device to latest android and now the GPS wont correctly with some applications :(

What issue exactly do you have with Realtek?

I know this can be a bit fiddly at times.

Also, does your Android GPS system rely or depend on Windows in some way or other?

A bit surprised to read about problems with an Android device in a Windows 10 topic, or do you mean it is no longer connecting to Windows applications?

2 hours ago, M6NEN said:

problems with an Android device in a Windows 10 topic

I guess that he feels this as once more a problem after a software update.

It's a general quality problem : an update should bring improvement, and not be felt as a regression.

Ha-Ha, found a new bug! Also Microsoft Edge has keyboard problems after migrating to Windows 10 1809 ! I cannot type "google.com" in the address bar! So I cannot surf on websites not bookmarked or not suggested by Microsoft ads!

OK, there is a workaround for the keyboard problem.

Manually start the " ctfmon.exe ", after the keyboard works again for Edge, for cortana and for Microsoft store. So, I simply restart it each time I really need to use edge or cortana.

Well, you are quite right there, yordan.

On 2/19/2019 at 1:58 PM, yordan said:

an update should bring improvement, and not be felt as a regression

And, unfortunately, the above is all too often the case with Microsoft.

Now, we are all aware of the problems this update has been having, so has Microsoft, obviously, or they would not have withrawn the upgrade.

However, I am going from one surprise to the next here.

As I said in an earlier post, I did not experience the main problem in the beginning the update was available, ie. some of your files being wiped off your computer.

However, I had some other (albeit minor) issues which made me roll back the upgrade.

On 2/19/2019 at 11:15 AM, OpaQue said:

The system performance is not good and I was hoping for a major speed improvement.

That is true, the system performance could be better, so could the speed.

I had hoped for a speed improvement (maybe not a major one, but still an improvement).

On 2/19/2019 at 11:15 AM, OpaQue said:

My realtek driver issue is not yet solved :(

Could you elaborate on that a bit?

I know that, lately, the co-operation between Windows and Realtek is lacking somewhat, especially when it comes to displaying Realtek's own Control Panel.

Also, depending on what exactly the problem is, I might know a few solutions.

On 2/20/2019 at 4:26 PM, yordan said:

Ha-Ha, found a new bug! Also Microsoft Edge has keyboard problems after migrating to Windows 10 1809 !

Wouldn't know about this, I never use Microsoft's rubbish browsers.

On 2/28/2019 at 10:38 PM, yordan said:

OK, there is a workaround for the keyboard problem.

Manually start the " ctfmon.exe ", after the keyboard works again for Edge, for cortana and for Microsoft store. So, I simply restart it each time I really need to use edge or cortana.

Fair enough, but the end user should not have to resort to measures like this.

Things should be working "Out of the box".

On 2/27/2019 at 10:01 PM, yordan said:

Waiting for a supposed Windows update which could fix this problem. Let's see how much time I will wait.

I guess not too long.

If I can follow Microsoft's logic proper ly they bring an update out in autumn and spring, and spring is around the corner, so, let's see.

When I read all the above, i think I am still one of the luck ones.

36 minutes ago, M6NEN said:

Wouldn't know about this, I never use Microsoft's rubbish browsers.

I don't either. However, if you click anywhere in any ap, Microsoft Edge starts. For instance if you click inside the your manufacturer support assistant it opens an edge-like windows and asks your name and password.

And with Windows 10 the "programs" menu don't exist any more, so if you want to know if a software (like skype) is already installed on your system, yo have to ask cortana in order to obtain the icon or the software download menu, then you need to be able to use cortana, even if you don't find it useful outside this feature.

43 minutes ago, M6NEN said:

Things should be working "Out of the box".

Precisely. Currently it works fine provided not out a Crosoft box! :(

44 minutes ago, M6NEN said:

and spring is around the corner, so, let's see

OK, only two m

onths waiting, is that what you mean "not too long" ?

45 minutes ago, M6NEN said:

When I read all the above, i think I am still one of the luck ones.

Let's see how long your luck lasts !?

33 minutes ago, yordan said:

I don't either. However, if you click anywhere in any ap, Microsoft Edge starts. For instance if you click inside the your manufacturer support assistant it opens an edge-like windows and asks your name and password.

That is VERY weird.

You must have Edge as your default browser then.

That is the only explanation I can think about.

38 minutes ago, yordan said:

And with Windows 10 the "programs" menu don't exist any more, so if you want to know if a software (like skype) is already installed on your system, yo have to ask cortana in order to obtain the icon or the software download menu, then you need to be able to use cortana, even if you don't find it useful outside this feature.

Not sure I understand what you are saying here.

What about this then?

I assume this is what you mean by the "programs" menu?

start.png.814d7ae7ca168cd0d957f5655336c696.png

11 hours ago, M6NEN said:

I assume this is what you mean by the "programs" menu?

Precisely. Not all the available programs are there, and if you don't see "Nero" for example, that does not mean that the software is not installed and ready to be used. The previous Windows versions had a button "all progs" showing all the available softwares, and not only the most probably used ones.

For instance I don't know if Skype is installed, skype is not listed in that menu, I ask cortana who shows me there the Skype icon is hidden.

3 hours ago, yordan said:

Precisely. Not all the available programs are there, and if you don't see "Nero" for example, that does not mean that the software is not installed and ready to be used. The previous Windows versions had a button "all progs" showing all the available softwares, and not only the most probably used ones.

For instance I don't know if Skype is installed, skype is not listed in that menu, I ask cortana who shows me there the Skype icon is hidden.

Another surprise you got me into.

(Oliver Hardy would have said "That's another fine mess you got me into." ?).

I don't know, you must have a haunted PC or something, because all my installed programs appear in my list.

However, I do remember a time when that wasn't the case too.

I must admit, though, there was a reason for that, which I can, for the life of me, not remember.

However, it is a fact that some things have to be ironed out, although, have you ever known it any different at Microsoft?

They keep throwing things on the market before they are ready and properly tested.

Microbug would be a good name (I am not going to post the name I gave them here ?).

Anyway, let's see what the next upgrade throws at us.