xisto Community
manuleka

Virtualbox Hard Disk Size Expansion

Platforms:------------Host - Kubuntu 12.10Virtualbox - Version 4.2 + Guest Additions + Extension PackGuest - Windows XP Pro SP3I have a 20GB (set Dynamic) running Windows XP Virtually on VirtualBox 4now i realize that soon i will be running out of space... is there a way that i can expand this size to say 40GB or 60GB?I don't wanna create a second Drive because i don't wanna reshuffle files...

no implemented yet... i should've just kept with vdi format... i wonder if conversion is possible

blakmunky@kumunky:~/VirtualBox VMs/WindowsXP$ VBoxManage modifyhd "WindowsXP.vmdk" --resize 512000%...Progress state: VBOX_E_NOT_SUPPORTEDVBoxManage: error: Resize hard disk operation for this format is not implemented yet!blakmunky@kumunky:~/VirtualBox VMs/WindowsXP$

manuleka, You should need to try the solution at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

for your convinience I am quoting it here as well.

To summarize, the process, which includes re-sizing the disk partition:

Note: Don't do this while Quickstart is running. If you have work that can be lost ... make sure you have a backup. An easy way to ensure you have a backup is to "clone" the machine (NOT LINKED) and then do this:

Convert your Hard Drive file to VDI format (clone):

VBoxManage clonehd --format VDI /path/to/VirtualBox/Quickstart-1.0-i386-disk1.vmdk /path/to/file/big-new-hd-quickstart.vdi

Use Virtualbox to resize the disk. (modifyhd)

VBoxManage modifyhd /path/to/file/big-new-hd-quickstart.vdi --resize NEWBIGGERSIZE

(the rest of these directions are from memory)

Open "Virtualbox Manager" and attach the new hard drive so you can resize the partition using Quickstart.

Choose the Quickstart machine

Click "Settings" in Virtualbox Manager

Choose storage

Add the new resized disk (click the controller, and then click the "Add Hard Disk" icon)

close and start quickstart

Inside Quickstart open a terminal and run:

sudo apt-get install gparted

Then choose, System > Administration > Gparted Partition Editor

Choose the new drive from the list (not /dev/sda1) and then "drag" a new size for the partition. Finally "resize it"

Once done, close Quickstart

Finally, Open "Virtualbox Manager" and remove the old hard drive and set the new hard drive to "Sata Port0."

Choose the Quickstart machine

Click Settings in Virtualbox Manager

Choose storage

Remove the original (VMDK) hard drive. Uuse your mouse to hover over the disk to confirm path -- then remove attachment.

Choose the new resized VDI hard drive and set Hard Disk: Sata Port 0

Unfortunately my virtualbox is not working, I have not tried it at my machine.

Hope this will works for you and if you get success let me know.

Edited by agyat (see edit history)

thanks agyat, i ended up converting vdmk to vdi using the following command/lines:

VBoxManage clonehd image1.vdmk image1.vdi

then resize using this
VBoxManage modifyhd image.vdi --resize 1234
new size 1234 is in megabytes
Edited by manuleka (see edit history)