xisto Community
manuleka

Micro Usb - Why Hasn't It Being Used On Small Devices?

I agree that it would help make them a BIT thinnner, however the weight difference between a USB port and a micro USB port is minimal. The biggest difference would be in the visual asthetics of the device. They would allow for more USB ports however as you could put 2 micro-USB ports for every 1 standard USB port.

yea but in practical i think a couple of microUSB ports should be sufficient

yea but in practical i think a couple of microUSB ports should be sufficient

OK, but think about the following : with standard USB cables, we are familiar with plugging and unplugging a cable at any time, at any end.
With the micro-usb cables, you have to always be careful plugging the small end first, the big plug secondly. Because the big side has a big plug, correctly guided inside the socket. And the small-end plug is smaller, less correctly guided, and has to be plugged when there is no current inside, until each contact is correctly fitting the corresponding side in the device. Else, while inserting the small edge connector, you can touch the wrong electrode and, if the other side is connected, call too much power from the USB outlet of your PC, draining more power than your PC main power supply can offer.

OK, but think about the following : with standard USB cables, we are familiar with plugging and unplugging a cable at any time, at any end.With the micro-usb cables, you have to always be careful plugging the small end first, the big plug secondly. Because the big side has a big plug, correctly guided inside the socket. And the small-end plug is smaller, less correctly guided, and has to be plugged when there is no current inside, until each contact is correctly fitting the corresponding side in the device. Else, while inserting the small edge connector, you can touch the wrong electrode and, if the other side is connected, call too much power from the USB outlet of your PC, draining more power than your PC main power supply can offer.

While your correct about the possibility of the cross connection of the power connection in the micro-USB, from experiance I've found that cross connection of the power lines is slim. I've plugged my HTC EVO into my computer and wall outlet to USB converter while both were powered up for over two years now and have never actually shorted out. I might just be lucky but the only cross connection I've ever run into was the data lines and I had to replace the cable.

While your correct about the possibility of the cross connection of the power connection in the micro-USB, from experiance I've found that cross connection of the power lines is slim. I've plugged my HTC EVO into my computer and wall outlet to USB converter while both were powered up for over two years now and have never actually shorted out. I might just be lucky but the only cross connection I've ever run into was the data lines and I had to replace the cable.

I've never heard of this happening... possibility is next to nothing in my guess..

OK, but think about the following : with standard USB cables, we are familiar with plugging and unplugging a cable at any time, at any end.With the micro-usb cables, you have to always be careful plugging the small end first, the big plug secondly. Because the big side has a big plug, correctly guided inside the socket. And the small-end plug is smaller, less correctly guided, and has to be plugged when there is no current inside, until each contact is correctly fitting the corresponding side in the device. Else, while inserting the small edge connector, you can touch the wrong electrode and, if the other side is connected, call too much power from the USB outlet of your PC, draining more power than your PC main power supply can offer.

That would indicate a serious malfunction in the USB controller since USB standards specify a maximum current of 500mA at 5V (in fact, unless more power is 'asked' by the device, a standard USB port should only be able to supply 100mA at 5V).
Some, non-standard ports, do give 1A at 5V, but this is still a lot lower than what your PSU can deliver.

That would indicate a serious malfunction in the USB controller since USB standards specify a maximum current of 500mA at 5V (in fact, unless more power is 'asked' by the device, a standard USB port should only be able to supply 100mA at 5V).Some, non-standard ports, do give 1A at 5V, but this is still a lot lower than what your PSU can deliver.

i believe PSU can deliver more power... it's the mainboard's standard that defines the restriction, which is inline with the standards applied to the devices