xisto Community
iGuest

If A Virus Ever Damaged My Laptop Would I Still Be Able To Access My Files?

Hey rianne (not me),We have got the same name... oh well you should have a USB Drive plugged in if you don't then please inform me.. hope that this helps,Rianne 2 :D

you should have a USB Drive

Great idea. By the way, you should always have a backup of all your precisous files, to prevent data loss in case of logical or hardware damage.By the way, your virus should be very kind one, which would allow you copying your files on a USB disk without contaminating them. :)
By the way, I moved this topic here, where it's place most probably is.
And sorry for all these "By the Way"s
Regards
Yordan

usb might do the trick but if you can't login to you're machine due to viral infection then might be best to get a Live bootable media so AND also an USB drive and work with them...

You can use online backup services like dropbox, amazon s3, jungle disk and many other services. SOme of them are free for 1gb or so and then they charge for more files and bandwidth. So that is one way to save files if your Internet connection is good and by good i mean 2mb/sec or higher. This is to ensure that you can download and upload higher amount of data in short time.As for offline backups. I think using USB disk of amount 8gb for minor data backup and using 40gb or even higher for normal system backup if you're average computer user is enough in my opinion. You can always try to use the HD or USB as per your choice. I think USB are good these days because you can move and use them on multiple computers without compatibility issues.If your computer lost the data and can't boot the operating system. Best way is to get ubuntu or some linux rescure cd and then use it to backup data on usb. I did the same last week and my data is now backed up. Hope this helps you to take backup.

Thanks for the info guys. It's very nice and important to learn about data loss and all these new storage space companies that offer free online backup services. It is also good to have a good antivirus computer protection to aviod data loss cases and also protect important files like songs, photos, and all type of files data from being infected by viruses.