xisto Community

It would be really handy, if there can be some sort of script put into the autorun.inf file of the portable media that will automatically make the associations once the device is inserted. In this way I would still get the associations rather painlessly without making proper installation of the software. And the best part would be that I would be able to use the same apps on different computers without wasting any time.

That is true for your own computer. And, of course, on your own computer, the binaries don't need to be on the removable media.
The real interest of a portable software on a removable media, is the ability to put it on another computer.
In that case, the interest of the portable thing is to change nothing on the computer. If the friend's computer uses Crosoft player for the flv files, trying my portable app on my USB disk should not change that point.
But it's still interesting to test how my portable software shows his movie, or his picture.
It's interesting to have a portable media if you receive a ".odt" text file. But reading this ".odt" file should not change your PC settings, saying that every document has to be opened with Microsoft Office Word. Use the portable version only to make a temporary test.

as yordan mention - portable apps (on portable drives/usbs) are real handy when visiting friends (non-techie) to hangout and watch movies... i have a lot of friends who doesn't know much about computers and file type supports and things like that...

there is lots of thing with libra office the exported file/ saved file is not supported with the ms office so when i send my openoffice/libraoffice document to my office i found out that they cant open the document so i have to send them by google docs, or scribd. like software.well if its and opensource , they can add some support for the ms office document , like editing export or modfying .well i found this feature mising so i am using the ms office for my work and the libra/oprnofice for my home .its a good opensourc software and specially libra office now with new features.

Well its rite until libra office have .doc and .docx file support we have to use the ms office , because for official use we still depends on msoffice . I think soon libra office developers will realise that and make the adjustment for new and upcoming libra office.i hope it will make libra office usefull to all the offices.

Well its rite until libra office have .doc and .docx file support we have to use the ms office , because for official use we still depends on msoffice . I think soon libra office developers will realise that and make the adjustment for new and upcoming libra office.i hope it will make libra office usefull to all the offices.

i think Libre Office already support .doc ... not too sure about .docx though

yes they support doc but the basic features , if you use anothor font then its a mess all the documnt get just unrecognised well even if are showing th font is. actually i am using some presentation/ cun data work in word but when i open it in this libra office i found all is wrong and now i have to ue ms office again to work further in this project.well , in this new version it satisfied me but still i havnot got the whole features like ms office do.

yes they support doc but the basic features , if you use anothor font then its a mess all the documnt get just unrecognised well even if are showing th font is. actually i am using some presentation/ cun data work in word but when i open it in this libra office i found all is wrong and now i have to ue ms office again to work further in this project.well , in this new version it satisfied me but still i havnot got the whole features like ms office do.

it will depend on what fonts installed on the Libre Office/MS Office

but even with both platforms using same fonts, there are still some features that aren't fully compatible... but it's less than before...