xisto Community
iGuest

dvd-rw drive not reading dvd-r DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive Help: Not Reading DVDs

dvd-rw drive not reading dvd-rDVD/CD-RW Combo Drive Help: Not Reading DVDs

my dvd-rw drive is not reading dvd-r disks  I have windows vista preinstalled on compaq presario c751nr  . When I was in other house I put in and played gta sa on it. After some months I shifted to my new house then I bought splinter cell conviction 2dvds of 4gb and tried both disks but it didnt work .   Drive name - Optiarc DVD RW AD-7560A ATA Device. If you need further info please ask . I live in india is that a dvd region problem. Well I brought this laptop from US.Oh I forgot to mention that it reads cds. I installed prison tycoon 4 supermax(awful) and ac 130 operation devastation(not working)

thanks in advance

-question by 5eagle

This is a common problem with many DVD-rw drives and with time mostly there capability to read DVDs lowers.

Check your DVD if it is having any scratches, then that could be the reason.

Also try cleaning it with a soft slightly moist cloth radially outwards and then running the DVD.

Alternatively you could try and get your DVD drive checked up as I am also having a similar DVD-RW drive and after one and a half years it stopped reading most DVDs.

And you could also give this software a try named IsoBuster : https://www.isobuster.com/
This software helps in reading DVDs and CDs which cannot be read easily because of scratches but could be read sometimes.
It is not a free software but you get a free trial version too and you can try reading your DVD using it.

Alternatively since you are talking about a Game DVD, You would be having an invoice or transaction number.
You could contact the developer of Spliter Cell and ask them for any other means so that you can play the game. They will help you just provide them with your transaction number or scanned copy of invoice.

I hope it helps.

seems like the disks might be problematic if not the DVD Drive... try copying the contents to your hard drive/usb on another Laptop/PC that can read it and try running it on yours

If it's a protected game, copying the contents to hard drive will not solve the problem.

I think the DVDs he's trying to use are DVD-Rs so i presume they can be copied to PC

I think the DVDs he's trying to use are DVD-Rs so i presume they can be copied to PC

You can copy the files to hard drive without problem.
However, if the game is copy-protected, copying the files will not copy the protection, so the files on the hard drive will not pass the authentication check, and the game will not work.