xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
manuleka

Skype To Windows... Others?

i'm just wondering what would happen now since Microsoft bought Skype... would there be updates still for Linux and Mac versions?I hope Skype will still be made available and updated to Linux... what's your opinion?

I don't think any existing feature sets will affect anyone in any way. In fact i think it's good that microsoft bought it. If it were to be apple. They could have made weird interface in next few years. Something like simple blank window with one button to call and another to end the call. With only option of right click menu for more customization.lol. that was joke on apple design. That aside, i think microsoft will add the featuers of skype to their MSN explorer or msn messenger. This way they'll be able to integrate the live ID into skype. I know it is huge pain and is going to cause some security issue as well. But that's microsoft for you. They'll not abandon linux or apple version of skype. They'll continue to develop it for some time. I only worry about android version. I don't think they'll ever release the version now, because that is in direct competition with their phones and OS. Skype is here to stay it's just that it'll have some microsoft integration changes.

I don't think any existing feature sets will affect anyone in any way. In fact i think it's good that microsoft bought it. If it were to be apple. They could have made weird interface in next few years. Something like simple blank window with one button to call and another to end the call. With only option of right click menu for more customization.lol. that was joke on apple design.
That aside, i think microsoft will add the featuers of skype to their MSN explorer or msn messenger. This way they'll be able to integrate the live ID into skype. I know it is huge pain and is going to cause some security issue as well. But that's microsoft for you. They'll not abandon linux or apple version of skype. They'll continue to develop it for some time. I only worry about android version. I don't think they'll ever release the version now, because that is in direct competition with their phones and OS. Skype is here to stay it's just that it'll have some microsoft integration changes.

yea that will be quite interesting, seeing MSN Live and Skype working together... does anyone here use google talk? does it allow video chat as well??

Google allows video chat via gmail. There is no update on gtalk with video feature as of yet. I mean video featuers like skype. They managed to get the video running on web app for the gmail. I mean the web app where you run gtalk inside gmail. In that you can have webcam based chat but i don't think they're ready for the skype based call service. So i think google lost that competition point to microsoft. I don't think they'll be gaining advantage on that anytime soon. In order to get that advantage they need to build software much better and cool than current skype features which is not possible in my opinion. That aside i think they'll add some excellent feature to the MSN explorer and increase the user base on that. They already have that browser based desktop with that software. Who knows what more they can do with skype enabled? i mean you can use the desktop based video communication with skype pre installed in future windows version.I think that will be really good way to expand more userbase as those who use skype daily for their usage and work.

yea it will be very very interesting to see... skype is a very popular communication tools, and it's utilized by alot of businesses... i hope this merge will produce positive outcome for users

Live ID will work with skype, you will be able to use you live ID mail to sign-in on skype , then choose an available username.Maybe next year or 2 or 3, you know how slow microsoft is.Not sure if the will combine WL messenger and skype into the same skype network, but its what we all want to happen.