xisto Community
infotornix

Favorite Compression Software

Favorite compression software  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I prefer to use winrar. It has 8% - 15% higher compression than .zip compressions. It has a user friendly interface, and has now integrated virus scans. There's multiple themes you can download from the developers site. Best of all, files can be compressed or expanded with a simple right click, that's all. It also supports .jar, .iso, .bz2, and many more.In my opinion this is the best, all-around compression tool. Oh yea, and it's free. :P

I prefer to use winrar. Oh yea, and it's free. :P

Winrar is not really free. At least not for professional use.Don't you have a warning saying that your trial time is expired? I think that winrar is not a free software, it's a commercial software whose trial period is not strongly protected, hoping that the users will be honest and will buy the software.

Winrar has a 30 day free trial. After that it periodically asks if you'd like to purchase it for $29 or so. You click no and continue it's use or all your compression needs, seeing as no features are disabled that I'm aware of.

If any software comes with trail basic its not count into free section.The license is not gpl so its not free .You cannot use it as commercial using and or you cannot distribute or resell anything/ part of it.Please discuss only the topic and free things.

Winrar has a 30 day free trial. After that it periodically asks if you'd like to purchase it for $29 or so. You click no and continue it's use or all your compression needs, seeing as no features are disabled that I'm aware of.

Precisely what I was telling. You should try and buy the software, or try and remove it from your computer. But you should not use it without paying it after the end of the trial period.

Ok. Please disregard my comments about winrar. And all this being said, why is it on the poll?

There was probably a fuzz about it because you said it was free :P . The poll nor the topic started mentioned it should be a free app you like.

Anyway, I definately prefer 7-zip. Sometimes it does compress even beter than Winrar and for handling zip files it's so much better than the windows implementation (it's so much faster for handling zip with +1000 small files) and the application is absolutely lightweight. It even gets better because it's free and there is no annoying popup box telling you to buy it (like Winzip or Winrar) which in the end is a pain in the *bottom* and a serious waste of time.
The only downside of 7z is the lack of support for it's format... (zip still rules the windows/mac world, rar is probably second and in the linux world it's probably .gz and .bz2 which rule the compression world).

I did try peazip before, it's not spectacular enough to keep. Zipzinus, never heard of it before.

I love the portable version of 7zip. You can put it on your usb flashdisk and use it on a computer where no compressing software is installed, and if you don't want it you simply remove the 7zip folder.Next time I will try the tar format to see if it's useful when uploaded to a unix machine.

I love the portable version of 7zip. You can put it on your usb flashdisk and use it on a computer where no compressing software is installed, and if you don't want it you simply remove the 7zip folder. Next time I will try the tar format to see if it's useful when uploaded to a unix machine.

The tar format is a compression-less format :P , the only reason it exists is for storing multiple files into a single file because some compression formats (.gz2/.bz) don't support compressing multiple files). Ow, and I just checked wikipedia, apparently it was designed for storing files onto tape devices, so it's pretty old school :P .

well i think if you have a good and free tools then you can do some very good job.well i use freearc and its help me to compress 3gb software to 1.5 gb.well i tried some different tools and arc and 7zip is a good tool for me.

Ultimately I would have to say winrar is my favourite for the reasons stated above and of course the way it acts just like an explorer window. You can keep going back a directory by clicking the .. folder icon and go back right out of the archive so you don't have to keep closing the software then opening a new process to skip between archives. If it is ultimate compression you want though, the best I have ever seen was insane. Somebody had managed to compress a 700mb CD in to an archive that was...wait for it...24KB in size. This was achieved using the KGB Archiver (the official site has had its account suspended unofrtunately but is still available for download elsewhere). KGB uses the PAQ6 compression algorithm and is one of only a few pieces of software to succesfully achieve this. The only draw-back to such a massive compression ratio is the amount of CPU cycles and RAM required to run the compression. Although KGB runs off 256mb RAM minimum and a 1.5GHz processor, if you want maximum compression and don't have the specs it can take days or even weeks to compress a 1GB collection of files. The best part of the KGB archiver is it is completely free. The 2.0 version is supported by Windows, and the 1.0 version is supported by UNIX type operating systems (command-line based). If you have a lot of files that need storing indefinately, use KGB and you won't go wrong. Just don't expect a quick extraction :P

Edited by 8ennett (see edit history)

Just don't expect a quick extraction

OK, but will I have an extraction at the end?Because, if I need a lot of time to compress my folders and then I remove the original files and cannot extract them back from the compressed archive, I'm in trouble. :P

I'm using zipgenius software for the compression purpose. It is free and is actively developed. there are no new features coming though but just bug fixed these days. It is very easy to use that software and it is also available in right context menu. So you can add or extract with just few mouse clicks. It also has good compression rate and can also open through damaged archive if possible (unless of course if the archive is in condition for that). It is only available for windows operating system as of now and there seems to be no way it is going to get published for linux or mac. It is written in delphi.net so i guess owner of the program has no plans for the cross platform because then he needs to shift his code/skills for other language. Mono is also not option because there is no delphi version of mono. So no chance of cross platforming current code. I guess that could be hard for any developer and it is very time consuming as well. So i don't expect any cross platform version. One more thing about zipgenius is that the version is available free of cost. You just have download or regularly update when there is any. Author has support of advertisers on his site and that is how he's recovering the money for development. I have never used winzip after using zipgenius program. I have also used 7Zip but found it very crickey because sometimes it takes more time for the compression and extract in comparison to other programs. This may be on my machine, so i don't know if it's the case with most of you using 7zip.

I mainly use 7 zip file manager, it extracts everything I need and it's free, usually has no problems, at least I can't remember any, it can extract RAR archives, but it cannot compress files to RAR, because it's not available for free, but usually gzip or 7zip is better or almost the same as rar, so I don't really have any problems using it, it's interface is simple and lightweight, it's fast, I don't need any other archive software ;)Even though I used to use WinRAR to create RAR archives, but eventually I got pissed with the trial popup and I just don't create RAR archives anymore and that's the story :lol: