xisto Community
Ahsaniqbalkmc

Should I Move My Blog To A Separate Wordpress Core

I have a website based on human anatomy namely Mananatomy.com and I have an associated blog with it. Both the website and blog have the same wordpress core i.e. blog is just like a page of the main website. Now after seeing good response to my blog posts, and feeling the need of customizing some settings to improve my blog's performance, I am planning to install a separate wordpress core on a subdomain of my main website (the url will shift from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/). I have only 5 or 6 posts so redirecting the old urls to new ones will not be a problem but I need your suggestions (especially the suggestion from Starscream) that should I do this to gain some liberty for my blog customization. I know that it is possible to customize the blog present in the same wordpress core as my website but because of my limited knowledge of php and other stuff, I am finding it rather difficult.
So should I do it or not?

A Wordpress blog is a good way to extend your website and limit the problem of updating all your contents. I vote for a "go", customization can be done later if you want to change the core and you can read a lot of resources about how to do the change.

If you have wordpress multisite install, you can customize 2 blogs differently by using different themes. I wouldn't install 2 wordpress core if the only reason is for customizing.

If you are hosting the new blog on a subdomain, it looks like you will have to host a new separate copy of Wordpress. Plus, you can safely migrate your blog over to the new site without fearing the loss of data. Also, you can leave the old blog as it is while you conduct the Wordpress migration, so your site visitors can still browse your old blog while you work on the new one.

I think you should use same theme for two cores. What i meant to say is that this will preserve the navigation if you do some minor changes in nav menu. For example, add the main site's navigation links to the blog as well. Change the sidebar with the current posts and the archives. Done. You don't need to sweat much now on the both cores. You should do only the nav bar adjustment and also keep the theme same in both sides. Why ? because if you want to capture attention of visitor without turning them off on any new blog theme appearance. Many sites are doing this already and they're integrating wordpress with their main domain static nav bar. Hope that helps.

I think you should use same theme for two cores. What i meant to say is that this will preserve the navigation if you do some minor changes in nav menu. For example, add the main site's navigation links to the blog as well. Change the sidebar with the current posts and the archives. Done. You don't need to sweat much now on the both cores.
You should do only the nav bar adjustment and also keep the theme same in both sides. Why ? because if you want to capture attention of visitor without turning them off on any new blog theme appearance. Many sites are doing this already and they're integrating wordpress with their main domain static nav bar. Hope that helps.

That was really helpful but I am thinking of my blog to appear a little different than my website. I want the blog to have its own identity. The content I want to put on it is also not for the promotion of my primary website. I just need it to be an independent blog with independant content and independant users which may come to my website by their own will. I know that the best part of having a subdomain blog is to promote your primary website but I am planning to experiment with blogging and to check how blogging works in my niche.
That is why I have installed a different theme and it has completely differrent appearance.