xisto Community
zenia

What Is The Internet in reality

the internet is a lot of files on hard disks on a lot of computers and servers connected by telephone wires.the internet could be described in the way like in the former sentence. it is a technical way of looking to the internet.this makes the problem of the internet clearly visible. there are a lot of websites. and the website cover almost all thinkable subjects. so the problem that arises is how to find the website that offers the information and the service that a user looks for. the popularity of the search websites show that there is not a real solution to find a website. and it shows too that there is not a real solution to make a website be known.

Ok what we have here seems to be a hard fact of not only the internet but also life.

I can understand what you are trying to say, there are some websites out there which people have made which are still as of yet completely undiscovered and there is no way to properly index them all, well that's just phooey. Not forgetting DNS registration of course, and sub-sites hosted elsewhere like mysite.freewebs.com etc. are already indexed in the web hosts index so that's not a problem. Your websites online presence is more well documented than you would think. Just because you are on the trillionth page of google search results doesn't mean you aren't there.

It's the same problem with say owning your own store in the world of the real people. You've setup shop down a back-alley and off the main street where all the people often travel. The first thing you do is put a sign on the top of your shop to let people know what it is. The same thing with a website, you put a banner on the top so people know what your website is about.

Now this isn't going to do much good because your shop is still down an alleyway and the only people who will see your sign are those who actually come down to your shop, so what's the next step? There is a busy high street not very far away where many people pass by, just like popular websites on the internet, they pass through these sites daily. What we need to do is put a sign on the main street pointing to our little shop so people will start to know it is there, just like we enter in to banner exchanges with other sites, we advertise their sites, they advertise ours. Now we have a presence on the street, but it's still not much. Only the people passing by that particular area will see the sign and they aren't guaranteed to follow it so we need to start making more and more of a presence for ourselves.

Talking to people in forums about your website would be the same thing as telling people you met in a bar about your shop. Handing out fliers for the shop would be the same as sending emails to people. Building up peoples knowledge about you gets you your visitors. You can't just sit back and expect people to turn up.

You have to put in the work, and you also have to offer information or products people actually want or need.

Also just to add to the opening of your post, yes the internet is basically just a series of networked computers linked via ISP's and DNS servers, kinda stating the obvious but still there are people out there who don't realise that. One of the funniest things I've seen regarding that is an episode of the IT crowd (The original British one though, not the awful american remake) which you will have to watch yourself http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. The best practical joke ever lol.

the internet is inter connected computers with the sole prupose of sharing files these days that can happen wirelessly, it started out in military applications as the orignial poster said using telephone lines but most likely the internet would have been local inside connected areas only. the internet is much different than the world wide web. the internet in many ways is the way in which you recieve files while the world wide web as every avid internet user should know is the viewing part.

yes. internet is the best one for everyone. and thanks for your suggestions and ideas about internet. can anyone help me. i too had a connection which is very slow now a days. While checking my internet speed here http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/ its shows very low and while downloading some files its dam slow. can anyone suggest me any ideas to boost up my internet speed...

Thanks in advance...

can anyone suggest me any ideas to boost up my internet speed...

Please tell us a little bit more. Which kind of internet connection do you have? What does your ISP garantee?For instance if you have a DSL connection and your home is far away from the DSLAM, you can only have a very slow Internet speed.

yes. internet is the best one for everyone. and thanks for your suggestions and ideas about internet. can anyone help me. i too had a connection which is very slow now a days. While checking my internet speed here http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/ its shows very low and while downloading some files its dam slow. can anyone suggest me any ideas to boost up my internet speed...

Thanks in advance...

I wouldn't mind if you open a new topic about the problem with the slow speed of your internet connection.

Now you take over my topic.

And you spoil my topic about the basics of the internet.

Although it can be admitted that the internet connection is an important part of the total of the internet.

Because for the most users the use of the internet starts all at home with the computer and the connection to the internet.

To answer your question the suggestion is to contact the internet provider.

The internet provider has sometimes the possibility to do a research about the speed of the internet connection to a member.

Now you take over my topic.And you spoil my topic about the basics of the internet.

This does not matter, I guess this can easily turn to be simply two small posts in an interesting topic.
Coming back to the starter topic, you have your own opinion, and you expressed it rather clearly. However, I think that from a historical point of view as well as from a technical point of view, you are rather wrong.
Internet came from a lot of scientifical computers, connected together by Ethernet links, as fast as we could imagine them some tens of years ago. Not at all telephone cables in the very beginning. On the very beginning, telephone lines were used by people in order to reach their office computers through very slow modems (75/1200 bits/second, not millions bit/second).
And now, Internet is made of a lot of huge computers (several tens of million dollars each) interconnected through several tens of optical fibers in order to sustain the huge throughput of the interchanged data.
And people like you and me, the home users, have slow or fast Ethernet links provided through what is available in our homes, sometimes it's telephone lines, sometimes it's TV cable lines, sometimes it's satellite parabolas. Some easter europe small towns have a local optical fiber between all the houses, having a very fast local lan access.
Then, your local access goes to an Internet Service Provider computer, which is a huge thing, which centralizes all the home computer access network and allows them to share his huge Ethernet access to big backbones.
Same way, the data on the websites are stored on huge computers, like the ones at Xisto which are hosted on the huge Xisto machines.
So, the Internet is also a lot of data disk space still on the same huge computers.
Very few data are on the home computer hard disk. If you want to share something (your last holiday pictures for instance) you intentionally open your own computer to a remote computer and allow the remote computer to pick the files, put them on the remote server hard disk, and then offers these files to the Internet community.
Now we are back to your topic. I hope that you don't feel my answer as a topic pollution. :)

This seems to be an interesting addition to the topic.The connections by satellite and satellite saucers and satellite recievers were thought of.But because of the simplicity they are not mentioned in the topic start.Nevertheless the basic idea stays the same.It might happen that for some people the internet seems like something magical.And this magical thing can't be understood easily.So a first step to make clear what the internet is and in order to make an effort to make it understandable for some people is to go back to the basics.And the second step is to explain the internet using the technical infrastructure to explain the simple basic techniques that are used to build the internet.The purpose of this approach is to make it more easy for people to understand what the internet is.And when a first understanding of the principles of the internet is learnt there might occur the possibility to use the internet in a more advanced way.So considering the internet like a bunch of computers connected towards eachother might help some people to create and invent new ideas for new ways to use the internet.At least that is the idea behind this topic.

Edited by zenia (see edit history)

Another prime example of how computers have evolved in connectivity would be to look at the old dial-up modems. I don't mean the ones that dialled up your ISP and that is how you got online, instead I mean when you literally had to dial another computer. You would type in the phone number of your target computer and then it would dial, and the target computer on the other end would answer the call and create a connection between the two computers, transmitting data back and forth over the phone line. This is the internet before the internet. With this type of technology originally starting out in offices when it was released to the public, soon people began to see the potential for the home user as well. They began creating bulletin board systems, simple ways of creating communitys that can get together in one place and share knowledge and ideas without leaving their home. It wasn't soon after this people started creating DOORS, like Seth Able Robinsons world famous Legend of the Red Dragon (which is still played today I might add). In fact these doors were in fact the worlds first MMORPG's although technically they weren't Massively Multiplayer as you could only usually have between 10-20 people online at any one time. This was the creation of the internet as we know it today, however back then we didn't have the nice little interface with a mouse and so on, it was all done using DOS and UNIX systems which were predominantly text-based operating systems. The BBS systems used ASCII graphics but obviously they weren't very good next to todays standards. These old BBS systems do still exist out there however you no longer dial them up but connect to them via telnet. Synchronet is the most popular BBS system still available for download and remains free, but you won't really find many people will visit. I used to run a synchro server a while back with ALL the old popular door games, but I only had about ten regular visitors and in the end closed the site.

Sorry I know this is irrelevant but I'm findiing it quite hard to get around and the forum wont' let make new topics or reply to topics (I'm currently using fast reply - the only option I found that works). If you know why this is could you please message me. Am I not aloud to post on the forum before doing something else first?

This might solve the problem.

It's a bug in the forum software. In your control panel, change the default editor to standard mode.

It is an advice given by tgp1994.

Another prime example of how computers have evolved in connectivity would be to look at the old dial-up modems.

Wow, the old dial-up modems! Yes, I remember. I first had to start "kermit" in order to have a telnet emulator for my PC. Then ask kermit to connect to my "com2" port. Assign the speed (1200 baud was a nice speed at these times). And then, when connected to "com2", which is the entrance port of the mode, I typed "APDP XXXXXXX"
APDP meant "please use vocal frequencies and dial up the phone number XXXXXXX". Then I heard the answer of the remote modem, who refused or accepted the connection, or tried a lower speed before rejecting or accepting my connection. And then I had the login prompt from my Unix host, provided nobody removed my "getty" line from /etc/inittab.
Yes, these were good times.
Of course, I did not do this too much, because I had to pay the telephone communication during the whole duration of my connection, which sometimes made a lot of money out of my pocket.
Now, people are familiar with DSL internet where you don't pay for the time you stay connected, it's far better for home users and for home budget!

Maybe the description of the internet can be changed to this line.The internet runs on a lot of computer connected to each other by electric wires and other means.And maybe the world wide web can be described like a lot of files on a lot of computers that together form the internet that can be reached from other computers.It is possible that these descriptions make it more easy for somebody to understand what the internet is.

Edited by zenia (see edit history)

Maybe the description of the internet can be changed to this line. The internet runs on a lot of computer connected to each other by electric wires and other means.

And maybe the world wide web can be described like a lot of files on a lot of computers that together form the internet that can be reached from other computers.

It is possible that these descriptions make it more easy for somebody to understand what the internet is.

True but at the same time it is also a very vague description. It's kind of like summing up medical training in to one sentence, "You learn to help people who are ill get better". It doesn't really give you any insight in to what medical training involves or the history of how it has evolved. Always expand upon your answer to give everyone who reads this in the future a further insight in to the subject at hand.

I agree, the definition is really vague and probably mainly false.The problem is that what we name "internet" is the ability to connect to the worldwide web network, addressing remote systems by their hostnames as they are known by the DNS (DataNameServer) service provided by your ISP.Most of peoples use a web browser, which is not the only mean to reach a remote host. If you use a web browser, you can reach systems which provide you with menus showing the pages they want you to see. Usually people don't really care the hostnames, they use predefined menus inside the default settings of their browsers, or they use a search engine. That's why a lot of people say "I go on the Internet" when they simply connect to google.And of course skilled people do not really use these web browsers, they use telnet or ssh connections in order to directly have a look at their program sources, and use ftp clients in order to put their images.So, maybe another definition of the Internet is a mean of sharing the network leading to the huge computers, these huge computers being also connected to the same network and a lot of other ones in order access to their data to other huge computers from other huge companies. And each company has it's own data, not connected to the outside world, and some data they want to show on computers exposed to the rest of the world.