xisto Community
ysNoi

Build Your Own Custom Linux Distro [on Suse Studio]

okay...... how about this:a Custom distro based on a standard distro?then you can use the support for the standard distro, for the custom.e.g. made custom distro based on ubuntu. then you can use ubuntu support, which will most probably work for the custom distro as well!!!if this can be done, it should be ideal :P

Problem with terminal way of thinking is that it's waste of time if you're going to teach noobs. Many things can be accomplished with simple clicks and are easy to remember with GUI.

Well, you're not always right. In some cases, the terminal can be your only savior, as it allows you to access a broader range of features not always available via the GUI. CLI apps are also usually faster, as they don't need to support the user interface and as a result use less resources.

But using dark background CLI people often forget things, and those who forget phone numbers and name of people around them should seriously consider GUI or desktop manager instead of CLI.

You sound like you dislike the idea of using the computer via the command-line only, of course you are right. But who uses the shell exclusively now?By calling myself a terminal man, I didn't mean that the only purpose of my computer is to run the text-mode shell! I, for one, use KDE4 as my desktop environment.
Servers are a different thing - they don't need a GUI. If a system administrator is geeky enough to figure how to setup a working server using CLI, it's great. It's actually a normal and common thing. Once the server is working normally, you won't ever by any chance need a GUI. Unless you mean Windows servers, which I fully detest.
+ if you want to install the webserver remotely, you can just start sshd and install it via some other computer you feel more comfortable at.

Hahhaa never heard of that before, but it is totally true!! :P
Have you made a distro yet?

Well, not yet, but I'm on the way. :o
Currently I don't have much time to maintain my own distro. But if that counts, I'm using my Gentoo Linux with a manually-compiled kernel.

okay...... how about this:a Custom distro based on a standard distro?
then you can use the support for the standard distro, for the custom.

e.g. made custom distro based on ubuntu. then you can use ubuntu support, which will most probably work for the custom distro as well!!!

if this can be done, it should be ideal :P

That is how Linux Mint started, for example. At first was based on Ubuntu, now I believe it uses Debian as a base.
So, the repositories are completely compatible and stuff.

Everything under that platform is going for free and that makes no room for paid developers. Same goes for any small business aiming for software on that platform. No wonder top brands are not going to put their product on linux. Linux actually made people freebie sucker and killed business. So this is the reason i prefer not to waste my time on individual distros and same goes for any particular dsitros. All the distros are on my VMWare machine and i rarely look at them as there is not a single productive app on linux for me (like photoshop, visual studio, etc).

That is a common reason for avoiding Linux. The 'everything is free' sentence is wrong though. There is shareware under Linux, take for example a port of Unreal Tournament 2004 to Linux. It's still shareware, but it runs natively with no problems.The availability of such serious applications on Linux is more a matter of the developer not wishing to do any extra porting. Most of those apps are proprietary, by the way, which is the main cause of absence of any ports. You want Photoshop on Linux? Give us the sources! A native version will be available in a short span.
Visual Studio is an especially bad example as it is a product of Microsoft, do you expect them to ever support their closest rivals?
Linux does not kill business. It just makes the developers show their laziness/unwilingness/hostility. It's not like the Linux community denies the fact of using shareware apps, take for example the numerous online petitions to show the developers their product is actually greatly awaited and anticipated in a native Linux variant.
You want the money? We pay the money. Now give us a native product so the money could be well-deserved!
P.S.: And don't ever tell me of the complexity of Linux, I'm 13 years old.
Edited by Qrntz (see edit history)

HEY I'm just 14 :P i tried out mint, quite a good distro... oh my idea was already used... DARN XD

Lol. Actually there's some sort of a tree structure in the distro timeline - Knoppix and Ubuntu use Debian as a base, and now there are plenty of distros who use either Debian, Knoppix, Ubuntu or even their derivatives as a base.

Thanks for the link. Very instructive tree.Wow!I didn't know that CloneZilla and Knoppix were Debian derivatives.And, very funny. The tree shows that Mandrake is a derivative from RedHat. I love Mandrake and I hate RedHat!

whoa a nice and COLORFUL tree :Pamazing, didn't know most distros came from debian... and a lot of them i haven't even heard oftoo many to try out!!! if there are just ~20, i'll be happy to test them all :P

Thanks for the link. Very instructive tree.Wow!
I didn't know that CloneZilla and Knoppix were Debian derivatives.
And, very funny. The tree shows that Mandrake is a derivative from RedHat. I love Mandrake and I hate RedHat!

Well, it really is! :P
I used both of them back in the day, liked Mandrake more as well. RedHat is a bad choice for desktop systems overall.

Although I have used Ubuntu in the past (mainly for learning C programming), I have always myself drifting back to using Microsoft Windows, and more recently Apple Mac OS X full-time. I suppose for me it is not a choice of whether the operating system is free or costs money to buy, but rather how well it accommodates the programs I need to use. For example, popular applications like Adobe Photoshop, and the entire Creative Suite for that matter, are not available of Linux systems, which limits me what I can do.On the topic if custom linux distributions using SUSE Studio, maybe Microsoft should consider something similar for Windows operating systems, such that consumers can choose what feature and functions they need and want installed with their Windows installation and reduce the amount of unnecessary software that gets included. Or even, money-wise, users can pay only for the features that they want to use and have installed, which is an interesting model that is good for the consumers but one unlikely to ever get implemented (since this pay-for-features model would most certainly reduce revenue and profits for Microsoft).