xisto Community
yordan

Tell Us Which Database You Use Mostly which one you prefer

I primarily program in Java and I'm trying to integrate Java with databases. Most of the examples I've seen use MySQL databases but I've seen some instances where an oracle database is used.

You can interchange MySQL and Oracle but still it depends on how much feature you used. It is also possible to write a generic or abstract driver for your database needs which will render your Java application immune to the differences in the flavors/variant of database softwares but this will restrict you to use the commonly available commands and feature.

Since Java was now owned by Oracle, expect that connecting to Oracle will be much easier as time progress.

The difference between Oracle and MySQL is huge on high volume data access and multi user concurrent transactions but this advantage also comes with a high difference of fee. MySQL professional can handle 1/4 - 1/2 of what power that oracle can do at high load. Most system can get away with this restriction but on inventory systems that was being used 24 hours of the day and 7 days a week with a high traffic/user rate, you will end up finding out that your MySQL starts to lag out.

When using your database on purely web purposes, an Oracle server is an overkill unless you are having more than 5000-10000 or even more concurrent connections at a time, MySQL will choke up.

You can interchange MySQL and Oracle but still it depends on how much feature you used. It is also possible to write a generic or abstract driver for your database needs which will render your Java application immune to the differences in the flavors/variant of database softwares but this will restrict you to use the commonly available commands and feature.
Since Java was now owned by Oracle, expect that connecting to Oracle will be much easier as time progress.

The difference between Oracle and MySQL is huge on high volume data access and multi user concurrent transactions but this advantage also comes with a high difference of fee. MySQL professional can handle 1/4 - 1/2 of what power that oracle can do at high load. Most system can get away with this restriction but on inventory systems that was being used 24 hours of the day and 7 days a week with a high traffic/user rate, you will end up finding out that your MySQL starts to lag out.

When using your database on purely web purposes, an Oracle server is an overkill unless you are having more than 5000-10000 or even more concurrent connections at a time, MySQL will choke up.

What you say is true. However, the company that I am getting hosting from has MySQL databases. Also, as you said about the concurrent connections, I don't plan on having more than 5,000 connections at the same time.

I am currently using SQLite for databases since I have been learning and working at the same time with iiPhone development, in addition to the programming language Objective-C. Although I have accessed and modified SQLite databases directly from the programming code in my applications, I have more recently been using the Core Data framework, which stores its data in a SQLite database (technically, access to the underlying database of the Core Data framework is discouraged by Apple, since any changes can impact the integrity of the data stored in the framework system). As a result, I don't really get to do much SQL statement programming. However, having worked with lots of applications on the iPhone, it seems that SQLite was the right database for use in embedded systems due to its lightweight size and portability without having to host a dedicated SQL database server.

Only thing i didn't managed to do with SQLite is the connecting database to ironpython program. I would like to learn that and want to create some small programs that can run on multiple platforms. I know there is administrator for SQLite but i have no idea how to work with flat files for the desktop and how to attach the program with that file and ship it. If i get any idea of doing that then i'm going to be on spree of small programs that do minimalistic to-do tasks. :-)

I use and prefer Mysql because it helps me a lot with PHP development , and because i don't have an idea about other databases working.Why change something that works?

Free is the best and when it comes with open source its the best .So mysql is best for me.Lots of developer and usud in most server the mssql is wins all the way.well if you see others they are so costly and when comes to using with cantos os its the one that anybody can go for.