xisto Community
aloKNsh

Will The Technology Ever Overcome Us? will we ever face terminator kinda situation?

I hope you all have seen the terminator series, coz yesterday only i saw terminator salivation. and i was a bit made to think about something that if we are developing like this then will the etchnology overcome us. I mean we are advancing at a faster rate not faster at a fastest rate and if the situation is like thin sthen i think we will be the slave of the machines like skynet till the 23rd century. Early 19th century we had not much tech but still we lived happily and we made a nice living but now every one wants tecnology not even a single one will regret or want to feel aside from the tech and look at the children now they are just so tech savvy i mean at the whole toodler group they dont know how to speak but still play with cellphone and want to know what it is and how to use. I know many of the boys who are just 8 and are forum freak, they dont know much about what to write but they can still make some of the great posts and also one wolud be made to think on them are they really 8 or just a fake age. If we develop at this fast rate then i hopw skynet as in case of terminator we will also be slaves but in our case i think it would be one of the us military or fbi or google. As per me they are the biggest one could get and also i dont know how to tell but they are a big threat if japan (the motherland for robotics) develops some kinda reobot who can think itlself. But it will take a qite lot of time. Till now they have just made a simple robot who could think just a little bit and can sense the stairs and other gesture but not a simple baby type mind. It would be hard for them to make a baby type robot and if they are able to make the robo like that they will surely make a robot like an adult and then if everything is all rite then they might even make robos like humans who will increase their population and will need nothing but just the solar energy it would be benificial for the human race for quite some time but like in iRobot they will take over the human and kill them when they get the ultimate robotic technology. Just think if Nasa and Japan robotics join hands i mean not in space but the scientists of Nasa and japan try to make a robot whio is just a replica of human wth are we going to do. It obvious that the effecieny of the robots are much more than the humans so why will the industry keep humans as the workers instead they can get a cheap labour and much more skillfull who would never ask for a leave and would never get sick but just a shortcircuit which can be corrected by other robos.KInda wiered but what you think about this will this ever happen or its just a insane thought ????

Self aware Artificial Intelliegence (AI) is still a long way for computer programs. Although, we have seen technological advances in humanoid robots with human like features. They are merely programmed instructions and immitation of real humans.Computer programs works by set of conditions and follow them as programs. Can a set of instruction turn into a self aware entity? Maybe, but as far as we know right now. It is very unlikely. We have neural networks algorithm (functional mapping) for classification of item. Genetic Algorithm for optimization. But, something that may give rises to feelings?That is something that I don't know. Because if I do I would have easily won a noble prize.In addition, even if we assume that some scientists come up with a self aware robot. What would this robot do? It doesn't need sleep. It doesn't want to eat good food. It doesn't want to find a sexy partner. Why would it want to enslave human? For as far as I can imagine. If a robot become self aware it would undoubtedly see us as ants. Do you play with ants? Maybe.... but to certain extend they are just ants why would you care about them?

If a robot become self aware it would undoubtedly see us as ants. Do you play with ants? Maybe.... but to certain extend they are just ants why would you care about them?

I don't play with ants, but if they are a trouble to me, then I would definitely need to think about it. So similarly if the robots become thinkable machines then they too would judge if humans are a trouble to them, if they think so, then there actions could be as predicted by the original poster.

I doubt we will ever see actual intelligence in an artificially constructed brain any time soon. In order to create full awareness you would have to mimic billions of chemical reactions per second. Imagine each one of those chemical reactions being a piece of programming code running. Not only do we lack the technology to mimic all those processes per second, but we also lack the knowledge of what every single chemical reaction is actually doing. In fact our understanding of the human brain is so limited at our current rate of educational development (assuming it will continue to advance geometrically) it could take a further 50,000 years before we have fully mapped over half the human brain. Now obviously we don't know what exactly makes what we refer to as a soul, but it is a safe assumption that most of the processes within our mind are responsible as a whole. This is why when people lose x%of their brain due to damage etc. they seem to lose all sense of self, the ability to process information properly etc. If we were ever to develop true intelligence capable of independent thought processes then it is highly unlikely this consciousness will be given any form of power or control over systems that can ultimately overthrow the human race as a species. It would be treated as any other intelligent being, with suspicion and curiosity. As a race we do not like to leave our lives in the hands of anyone apart from ourselves and have trouble trusting each other as it is. I suppose the point i'm trying to make here is, don't believe everything you see in the movies!

We have to differentiate intelligence and human brain. Human brain is something very complicated, probably it's not easy to reproduce it nowadays.Intelligence has several definitions.One of these definitions is the ability to understand a situation and take a decision. From that point of view, a lot of studies have been done with rats or birds. And a bird's brain has far less volume than a human brain, so the number of gray cells is not the point.One definition of the artificial intelligence is the ability to take some decisions according to some rules and a knowledge database, together with the possibility to add new infos in the knowledge database.Then, educating such IA's will be exactly as educating children : don't do that ! And the IA will understand "don't do that as long as I can see you doing this", etc..So, if you teach an IA to destroy useless things, if it happens to deduce that you are useless, you can be destroyed!

Well if the human being makes a mistake like programming a some kind of a terminator then the chances are 99.9% :S

I would say that if such a mistake is possible, it will be done, and sooner than expected! :)

Never underestimate the ability of the human mind. Everyday we are able to develop new and ingenious ways of bypassing any security system, hence the need to constantly keep upgrading. If that 0.01% possibility were to happen then it wouldn't take long for someone to develop some form of worm or trojan to overcome the defect and regain control. And when all else fails, revert back to true human nature and blow it up before it expands! :) I know how the terminator films worked and the AI was wired in to every piece of hardware on the planet ultimately which is how it could spread its consciousness and be undefeatable, but things will never get that far. They always forgot about the ability to disconnect network connections very easily by "cutting wires" in millions of places to prevent further spread/construction of AI driven machinery.

the first thing any robots should have is prime directives, think of robocop he has rules which he has to obide by if he doesn't then he gets shutdown. so you program a robot never to harm any human, if it does hardcode a shutdown procedure on the event of this which also sends out a tracking beacon to the manufacturer who then comes and picks up the defective robot fixes it then scan the whole system for erors in other robts. also robots should never have their AI connected to one and another to prevent the possiblity of one robot changing the directives to for example never leave a human unharmed. also laws should applied to any robot (with human level or higher intelligence) so that they are not allowed to break the law. maybe ones who are not as smart as humans as long has they have the capability to break laws. there should also not be any central system after all you don't want a central server getting a virus which it then sends as an upgrade to all of the other robots. connections going in and out should be firewalled so if a cloud server (which would work better than one central server) would not be able to send out any updates that are actually a virus. the virus and spyware/ whatever scan results would be checked over by a team of scientists then their checking would be checked over by another team of scientists. also all updates would have to approved by 3 teams of programmers (to make a virus doesn't get coded into the update).you would want to make sure that no insane robots gets created either i'd soem prime directives should be. 1, do not harm any human 2, protect humans 3, do not ignore directives 1 and 2.

Technology will never overcome us. It may some day seem to think, it may be faster at making mathematical calculations, but look at the invariable issue it has with image processing.I was listening to an NPR story, and a person said that google could think due to its broad area of information and amazing Page-rank algorithm. Neither of these, in fact nothing we've done with AI, does anything but simulate intelligence. It's not thinking, its making us think it's thinking.

As I know, human brain is much more powerful than any machine we humans have ever created, even our body is much more powerful and has bigger capacity than any computers at all at this kind of sizes.. Yet!But I guess human brain can evolve too, as we don't use it at full power? :) In theory, robots can be made as humans, they just can't have a soul, but can have everything else..It's a matter of time I guess, we will see more in the future of how computers will continue to work :D