xisto Community
Soviet Rathe

How To Use Old Msn Messenger

Ok if your like me and have been forced to update your MSN messenger only to find out that the new version doesn't work

then heres a simple solution.

I'm about to show you how to hack your old version of MSN and make the servers think your using the new version.

therefore you will not be forced to update :P

Step One if you have already upgraded to the new MSN you will need to get rid of it by downloading Messenger Deep Clean

from here (if you have not upgraded and are still using the old version you can skip this step as well as the next one)

after you have downloaded that. extract the files and run "WLMessenger_DeepClean.wsf" then a black window will appear.

wait a second. then press enter. this will remove all traces of Messenger new and old.

Step Two install older version. you can get WLM build 8.5.1302.1018 here

Step Three you need to get Resource Hacker which will be used to tweak your messenger. you can get it here

extract and run "ResHacker.exe" then click File > Open and find the path where MSN is installed this is usually

C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger then click on "msnmsgr.exe"

and you will see something like this:

Posted Image

1) Expand Version Info > 1 > click on 1033

2) Scroll down until you see "VALUE "ProductVersion", "x.x.xxxx.xxxx""

3) Change the number value within the parenthesis to "14.0.8064.0206"

4) Click "Compile script"

5) Click File > Save

Close rshacker and launch messenger!!! YOUR DONE!!!!!!

now you won't get that message telling you to update (which before you HAD to do)

Cheers :D

Edited by yordan
Quoted the text copied from trap17 http://www.trap17.com/index.php/Msn-Messenger_t69088.html (see edit history)

How do I run WLMessenger_DeepClean.Wsf. When I click in the file there appears no black window only a messege telling me that it is a javascript.

Gunilla

<p>How do I run WLMessenger_DeepClean.Wsf. When I click in the file there appears no black window only a messege telling me that it is a javascript.</p><p>Gunilla</p>

Is it asking you if you want to run it? if so click yes or allow, I have only tested this method of Windows XP so there's no guarantee it will work with other operating systems. :|

There is a reason why you have to update messenger from time to time, not only because they add functionallities to newer version, but also because they patch potentional security flaws. Thus, by not upgrading you're taking a risk ;) .Also, you're fooling other clients into believing you have a newer version of messenger and that it also supports the new features that came with this version. Thus, some features might not work anymore after doing this.You can't keep procastrinating an update and once you're realy forced to update, you'll probably feels worse.

There is a reason why you have to update messenger from time to time, not only because they add functionallities to newer version, but also because they patch potentional security flaws. Thus, by not upgrading you're taking a risk ;) .
Also, you're fooling other clients into believing you have a newer version of messenger and that it also supports the new features that came with this version. Thus, some features might not work anymore after doing this.

You can't keep procastrinating an update and once you're realy forced to update, you'll probably feels worse.

Really the whole point of doing this is because the new messenger doesn't work for alot of people, which forces them to use a 3rd party client to connect to msn. this is to allow those people to still use msn messenger if the new version doesn't work for them ;)

Really the whole point of doing this is because the new messenger doesn't work for alot of people, which forces them to use a 3rd party client to connect to msn. this is to allow those people to still use msn messenger if the new version doesn't work for them ;)

Yeah I was just about to point this out. It is IDEAL to upgrade to the latest software at all time, but sometimes it isn't feasible. If that is the case then this will help you still use your old messenger so you do have some functianlity in it. If you are still worried about security with this then the only other option you have is to use other IM clients (Meebo allows you to login to MSN without downloading anything) or go ahead and start using AIM Or Yahoo, ect.