xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
fermin25

Is The Uncapping Really Possible?

Hello I have a doubt.I have read a lot about uncapping. I have a Motorola SB5120 and I have read that to uncap a Modem like this you have to buy a BlackCat Cable.But I see in another forum that the uncapping is not posible, that it´s a fraud to sell you The Blackcat Cable.Is someone in this forum can help me???

You mean uncapping as in "removing the speed limits that my ISP has given me" ? Afaik that is impossible, even if you start hacking your modem using a JTAG cable (looks like the Blackcat cable is a JTAG cable), the speed limits are regulated by the ISP at the ISP side. If you want to uncap you'll have to hack your ISP first :o//edit: also worth mentioning is that uncapping, if possible, wouldn't always yield positive results. There are physical limits that limit the available bandwith, trying to go over this limit might result in a lower bandwith efficiency because of the higher packet loss

Edited by wutske (see edit history)

i have uncaped modem and uncaped speeds 2wire is my modem and i have also no badwith so even better for the people that download like crazy

The term uncapping in Australia usually is used by people who get capped at a certain speed for overusing their allocated bandwidth and get uncapped at the end of the month when the billing cycle ends and a new cycle starts.The physical speed limit of an Internet connection really only depends on the wire or fibre capacity of the Internet Service Provider, factors that are out of your control. I suppose if your want better speeds you would have to pay more for higher level services such as those sold to large corporations.