xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
brokebloke

Norton Ghost Tutorial Good computing practice with Norton Ghost.

I'd like to tell you about a great tool called Norton Ghost, its a backup tool, but unlike other similar tools it really makes an image of your whole system in its current state, meaning your OS, drivers, settings, apps, games, etc is all backed up but not like file for file but everything in its current state, meaning if I'd make a back up today, and tomorrow I tested a whole bunch of software which caused my system to act funny, I'd just restore yesterday's image and it would be exactly as if it were yesterday, you're saying what about system restore, well, quite simply system restore doesn't always work quite how I'd like it and its not always guaranteed.

My advice for a pristine system is 1. FORMAT Your hard drive (ONCE) with at least 2 or more partitions
2. Install your OS, and all the software that you quite simply can't live without (including Nortong Ghost of course) and that you know for sure contains absolutely no spyware, adware or viruses
3. Update all the software and drivers
4. Set up everything on your pc to the way you like e.g wall paper, app settings, performance tweaks, etc etc
5. Defrag and if u want, do a full virus scan
6. Finally, use Ghost to create an image of your system which is commonly on C:, name it with the current date, give it a description, and set it to save it on a seperate partition - very important
Now once your done your system should reboot and save an image of your complete system which should only take 5-10 minutes, when you go to restore the time should be the same :)

Now..any time your system starts acting funny, acting up, or not quite performing, simply restore the old image, no more formatting, no more installing drivers, no more re-setting this and that up :D.

Tip...Set your email prog to save its data file / email on another partition, and anything you don't want to lose to another partition, that way when you restore an image all should be good :D

That is quite simple, but im not using it, because there is no place where I can buy norton ghost in my country and it's too expencive for me. Anyway if I have the money I cant buy it.... :)

I have seen programs that do the same thing, so its just a matter of searching for one. Most likely there will be a way to purchase such program online, so search for HD cloning or ghost making. II would clone my drive if only I had a few extra GBs to spare...

Well your tutorial is informative.Good work man.but i will not any symantech utility they are not reliable and eats lot of system resource.try trend micro or mcafee products they are not heavy on system resource and are reliable too.

Hi finaldesign,You can get a similar image program called "TrueImage" by Acronis (I think). Have used it for many years. works great, is user friendly & is less expensive than Norton Ghost. HopE this helpsRGPHNXPS- think that TrueImage has a 30 day trial version you can use to image your PC, then you can buy the program if you ever need to restore the image later.

i think nero also has the same thing.

Notice from moon:
I had nothing useful to say but a small thought, so I couldn't write a longer post. I decided spam would be fun, but Klass caught me and moonwitch nailed me. I am now a banned spammer.
Edited by moonwitch (see edit history)

Is Norton Ghost useful if in situation like hard drive crash or laptop/desktop needing OS reinstallation because system files got corrupted?

Norton Ghost Tutorial

My laptop has no partition at the moment. Should I partition it using Norton partition first before using Norton Ghost - I have ver 12.0?

About Ghost, is Norton Ghost useful if in situation like hard drive crash or laptop/desktop needing OS re-installation because system files got corrupted? If it is useful in the above mentioned situation, how would I go about it?

Do you copy that image (created with Ghost) in an external drive? Then, after installing O/S to manufacture's default, do I use the image (created with ghost) to put everything the way it was?

-bagirl

NG ghost : restoring back up with out installing OS

Norton Ghost Tutorial

Hi,

I have taken backup of my c drive with NG. I want to restore it back without installing OS. How to do that ?

Could you Please suggest me ?

Cheers,

GMR

what is the advantage and disadvantage of using norton ghost?

Norton Ghost Tutorial

Is it OK if I run Norton ghost while I'm working with my computer?

Is there any problem will I encountered while I'm using Norton ghost?

-reply by Anthony

you can use norton ghost in dos and you can do it even if you dont have any os but that will make your hd a storage device only like a diskette :lol: but the poster forgot about this one:primary hd the one with the files going to secondary hd one withouth the filesprimary hd size gb/mb should be the same or less than the seconday hd or youll end up with "half files" particularly dreadful with an os.and i dont advise you not to make a partition because if the partition is smaller then youll have another problem.you can also run it while working in your computer but it is not advisable. my advice to you is to w8 it out because its not that long. using ghost i copied a 500mb stuff less than 5 mins in a old computer. dunno if this will apply to the new version but we shouldn't forget about this one

how about restoring

Norton Ghost Tutorial

I don't understand how you restore the system once you backed it up. Can anyone care to explain? do I use a disc, like a cd or dvd (I can't use a floppy because I don't have such ancient technology in my computer)? and how?

Also - norton ghost has to be installed in your system and your backing up the system... So it backs up itself too, which is bad, because I don't want norton ghost running in my system, yeah, I could uninstall it after restoring windows, but it's not ideal... So is there an elegant way of backing up your system without norton backing up itself? or do I have to have 2 windows...Es installed?

Using Norton Ghost to replace a hard driveNorton Ghost Tutorial

Hi,

How can the clone feature be used to swap out the HD with the OS? My old C drive is starting to go, so I got a new HD and cloned my old C drive to it with Ghost 14. When I replaced the old drive with the new one, the computer wouldn't start up. I have SATA drives, if that makes a difference.

Thanks 

-question by T106

how i recover the imageNorton Ghost Tutorial

Hello

I m create recover image from norton ghost 12.0

When I m open Norton Ghost and start recover my computer

then say insert bootable disk for recover. How I create bootable disk for recover my computer

Please help me 

-reply by Anmol Deep Singh