xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
brokebloke

Norton Ghost Tutorial Good computing practice with Norton Ghost.

can some one explain me?Norton Ghost Tutorial

I am katta

I am actually saving my c:/ and d:/ disks as a ghost into my my external hard drive. If I wanted the ghost what I have copied will it work in different PC? will the ghost can create the same partitions and Data in another PC? or will it only work with the original system? because one of my friend told me that it can not be copied into Different PC. I am in a bit of confusion, please can some one clarify my question please? 

-reply by katta

Norton GhostNorton Ghost Tutorial

Norton Ghost is indeed a great tool. Once installed I do a "One Time Backup" to an external drive or 2nd hard drive installed on my pc.The Norton Ghost disk has a built-in utility that can be used to boot your pc in case of HD failure. As for hogging resources, I run MSCONFIG and uncheck Norton Ghost so it is not running in the background. I don't use it for incremental backups. I created a 2nd partition in my primary HD and use C: for all programs and the logical partition for files. I have restore my HD several times without a hitch. I create a new folder on my USB HD about once per month and date it...Then do a new backup. I keep the previous backup and the current backup and delete older ones (saves space). If you need to restore (new HD or existing one) just pop in the Norton Ghost disk and when prompted "hit any key to boot from CD". Make sure your CD Rom drive is set up as the 1st boot device in BIOS settings. Then...Just follow the yellow brick road. Point it to the path of your backup and it will show the dates...Choose the one you want and sit back. It takes 5-15 minutes depending on file size. There you have it...

-reply by Darwin

The question is though why would you want to use Norton in the first place, On a survey for its protection it came 8th out of 10! that's how much it sucks.The top 2 are Bit-defender & KasperSky Internet Security.

No system bootable files with ghost 14 restoreNorton Ghost Tutorial

I have norton ghost 14, have been doing back ups so I THOUGHT I was safe... Now that I need to do a restore of a complete system drive due to physical failure of my HD I can't seem to get a bootable disk after the system restore.

I have been looking high and low all day and either it is right under my nose and I missed it or the instructions / guides to complete this task don't exist  - 

From this thread I see I am not alone... 

-reply by Gwodan

Do a google search for "windows system repair install" if you are unable to boot from the new clone.  It will make the partition bootable and (cross fingers) change any needed hardware drivers.NOTE:  A Windows Repair Install IS NOT THE SAME as selecting "Repair Windows using the Recover Console".

no way would I ever use or recommend your idea - always backup to external.. What if your HD dies???

then your backup partition is dead also.. Then all your data is gone for good 

-reply by greg

Norton GhostNorton Ghost Tutorial

I thought I was going to use this program to back up,which I did to an external USB hard drive; I then turn the drive off and now it seems the program was damaged, I can't repair nor uninstall it through Control panel, I can't use Symantec program to remove it because it's NG 15; my back up USB hard drive now is not recognized when I connect it to the computer.

I need some help her bad because anytime I turn on the computer, it acts up funny, there were many black windows pop-up and go away throughout the booting process.

Any help/suggestion is very much appreciated.

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP3 by the way if it helps.

If I use Ghost to copy my system to a hard drive that has a system on it, do I need to format that hard drive before ghosting? Or does the program format before copying? Or does it matter if I ghost over what is on the destination hard drive?

-question by Jakksun

Always use the DOS ghost app to do the complete backup. That boots of cd/usb/floppy and clones the whole partition or drive.

Don't rely on the win32 version as it may not be available when you need to restore.

I have a 2GB usb stick dedicated to thinking it's a 1.44mb ghost floppy disk image for just this purpose.