xisto Community
Namaat

Dvd Driver Problem

Hello all:i have two DVD COMBOS on my PC both of them were working fine .and one day they decided that they are not working anymore,so now the newer one only reads some DVD, the other old one is reading more DVD than the new one but stil there is some discs which i burned using it it's not reading them.i tried taking the drivers to my friends PC they both worked great but not on my pc .by the way they are both reading CD.by the way whenever i try to put a blank DVD they both don't recognize it.any one can help me ?!?!!?!?!?

whenever i try to put a blank DVD they both don't recognize it.

How do you burn the DVD's ? With Nero ? Does Nero not recognize your blank DVD's ? Or are you saying that the MS-Windows autorun now does not warn that you inserted a blank DVD?

How do you burn the DVD's ? With Nero ? Does Nero not recognize your blank DVD's ? Or are you saying that the MS-Windows autorun now does not warn that you inserted a blank DVD?

No man the thing is not about DVD blank, the two drivers are only reading some dvds the one they like i think,

and mentioning blanks when ever i insert one it just keep on spining then it says this is a CD not a dvd but i don't care about the burning thing i care about the reading thing more so i hope you can help me .

and thx dude for ur reply 

I hade a LiteOn DVD reader that had the same thing. In the beginning it were only a few discs it wouldn't read anymore, then it stop reading any self writted discs (so only dvd-roms were recognised) and at that point I returned it to the shop and they gave me a new one. It also had absolutely no problems with CDs (but that's no surprise because CDs use a completely different part in a DVD reader).I however find it a bit strange that both drives are acting up. Maybe you could try cleaning the lens with a DVD-cleaning set and if that doesn't work you could try installing the drives in another pc.But imho, your drives are dying ...

Luckilyl, you have two drives, which allows some poosibilities. For instance, you could try booting on a Knoppix or another LiveCD distro, and see if the you are able to read media in the non-booting drive. If you have no problem with VistaPE or with Knoppix, this means that the problem is really inside the windows OS on your hard disk.

Luckilyl, you have two drives, which allows some poosibilities. For instance, you could try booting on a Knoppix or another LiveCD distro, and see if the you are able to read media in the non-booting drive. If you have no problem with VistaPE or with Knoppix, this means that the problem is really inside the windows OS on your hard disk.

okay, using a live os might be a better idea than moving the drives to another computer :o

okay, using a live os might be a better idea than moving the drives to another computer :o

Well if i told you that i understand what you are talking abotu i will be lying to you.

am using windows XP and i used three versions but the same problem happenes.

i really can't understand what you mean.thank you any way for ur help all of you 

Well if i told you that i understand what you are talking abotu i will be lying to you.

i really can't understand what you mean.thank you any way for ur help all of you 

Hi Namaat,

Find the make/model of your DVD drives and get those drivers for them and also a firmware update if possible. When installed, make sure DMA is active on both drives, make sure the BIOS is using their most optimal settings.

If you know how the drives connect, find the drivers for the connections too, e.g. IDE or SATA and get those drivers from the maker too, should be the chipset for the motherboard.

If you don't want to try that, then go into control panel, system properties, hardware devices and delete both drives off and restart the computer, it should reinstall the old drivers.

Cheers,

MC

Most of the time you install an operating system like windows or linux on a hard disk drive. But it's also possible to have an operating system installed on a CD or DVD. So when you insert this CD/DVD you boot the operating system installed on the disc. These operating systems are called live os'es, they are realy great for fixing your computer or testing a new linux distro because they don't change anything on your hard disk (unless you change something yourself :o ).

they are realy great for fixing your computer or testing a new linux distro

Also, as they are on CD's, they cannot be modified. so, once they worked, they will always work. This a good way to clarify whether a software change occurred (like a Windows update) or a virus or malaware action.

Hi Namaat,

Find the make/model of your DVD drives and get those drivers for them and also a firmware update if possible. When installed, make sure DMA is active on both drives, make sure the BIOS is using their most optimal settings.

If you know how the drives connect, find the drivers for the connections too, e.g. IDE or SATA and get those drivers from the maker too, should be the chipset for the motherboard.

If you don't want to try that, then go into control panel, system properties, hardware devices and delete both drives off and restart the computer, it should reinstall the old drivers.

man thx for ur help i think u have a point here but:Find the make/model of your DVD drives and get those drivers for them and also a firmware update if possible. When installed, make sure DMA is active on both drives, make sure the BIOS is using their most optimal settings.can u pliz explain to me how i can do that .

and i think IDE or SATA thing is the solution cause the in the control panel it said IDE and  in the when windows is starting it says about one of the drivers sata but don't mention the other driver so pliz can u explain that to me and waht should i do 

and just to put u in the light my pc is made piece by piece i mean not all of it is from the same company i made it myself i bought each part alone and connected then and i have many windows xb versions and the same prob is happeing with all of them.

My brother had a problem with his Windows XP installation where all his disc drives were disabled because Windows XP couldn't load the drivers for the optical drives.In order to resolve this I had to reinstall Windows XP because the base files were corrupted, hence it being unable to use the drivers. The physical hardware works because I loaded a Linux LiveCD and it read a couple discs flawlessly.xboxrulz

Since you made it piece by piece, then you know what has gone in the box.Say for example I had a LiteOn DVD Writer, I would visit LiteOn's website find my model (found on your DVD Drive on a sticker, maybe on top/bottom of it, so it'll need to come out so you can see it) of the DVD drive and look for updated firmware/drivers from their website. They should provide instructions on how to update the drivers or flash the drive.Same goes for the motherboard, which will provide insight to the chipset that's onboard. Find the website that makes your motherboard (Gigabyte for example), find the model/drivers for it, find who creates your chipset, go to the chipset's vendor's website and see if they provide drivers for it, if not, use the motherboard's website drivers.I only use XP's default drivers, if I can't get the vendor's drivers to work, it's usually 90% chance their driver works and works better than XP's.As for DMA being active, it's should be by default but for some strange reasons, some programs can switch it off. I think when in the properties of your DVD drive in Hardware Devices, you'll need to hunt around for DMA, it's part of a drop down menu. Sorry haven't been on XP in yonks, and my memory doesn't serve me to well unless I'm behind XP.If you still don't understand, just list your make/model of your motherboard, chipset, dvd drives... if you don't know how to get this information, you can use programs like Sisoft Sandra Lite.Cheers,MC

Since you made it piece by piece, then you know what has gone in the box.
Say for example I had a LiteOn DVD Writer, I would visit LiteOn's website find my model (found on your DVD Drive on a sticker, maybe on top/bottom of it, so it'll need to come out so you can see it) of the DVD drive and look for updated firmware/drivers from their website. They should provide instructions on how to update the drivers or flash the drive.

Same goes for the motherboard, which will provide insight to the chipset that's onboard. Find the website that makes your motherboard (Gigabyte for example), find the model/drivers for it, find who creates your chipset, go to the chipset's vendor's website and see if they provide drivers for it, if not, use the motherboard's website drivers.

I only use XP's default drivers, if I can't get the vendor's drivers to work, it's usually 90% chance their driver works and works better than XP's.

As for DMA being active, it's should be by default but for some strange reasons, some programs can switch it off. I think when in the properties of your DVD drive in Hardware Devices, you'll need to hunt around for DMA, it's part of a drop down menu. Sorry haven't been on XP in yonks, and my memory doesn't serve me to well unless I'm behind XP.

If you still don't understand, just list your make/model of your motherboard, chipset, dvd drives... if you don't know how to get this information, you can use programs like Sisoft Sandra Lite.

well dude i got the newest firware but it gave me nothing the same thing .

and i tried like 7 different XP versions i formatted my pc million times and installed many windows xp versions and the latest one was SP3 but it;s the same thing .

the strange thing is that both of them were working perfectly but suddenly one day they started acting weried i have the matherboard drivers i got them with my pc and the drivers both are LG sometimes i fell like they both are corrupted but as i told you some DVD specially with autorun they play them perfectly but specially dvd's i made the first one never reads them the other one reads them like after maybe 10 attempts i checked the MASTER slave thing but the new drive + the harddisk use sata ,while the other drive uses pata.

so am not sure what to put slave and what to put master +in the back of the hard disk and the new drive there is no jumper i couldn't figure how to make them or control how to make them slave or master i think it depends on the slot u connect them to on the mother board i tried to only use one drive and disconnect the other one but the same thing.

thx for ur help dude am grateful.
Edited by yordan
closed the quote tag (see edit history)