xisto Community
turbopowerdmaxsteel

Cd/dvd Rom Drive In Dell Laptop Scratches The Discs

I recently purchased a Dell Studio 14 Laptop with the following configuration:-Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.06 GHzRAM: 3GB DDR2HDD: 320 GBOS: Windows Vista Home PremiumPriced at close to 1000 USD (in our area), it has virtually all the features I could think of, in a laptop - Card Readers, WiFi, Bluetooth, Infra Red, Remote Controls, Fingerprint Scanner, Theft Recovery based on Computrace, etc. The only thing I don't like about it is that the CD/DVD Drive does not have an external tray that pops out when you eject the disc. It is quite similar to the VCR drives where we had to push the cassette manually until about the final 20% of its width, when it was sucked in. While, this had no effect on the well-protected tape of the VCR cassette, the exposed surface of the CDs are extremely vulnerable to scratches.Anyone else having this problem?

My car music CD reader is exactly like that.And it never scratched any CD!The device is designed in such a way that it is able to swallow a CD, manipulating it without scratching.That means that the internal mechanism is made of smooth surfaces able to introduce the CD without damaging it.If your reader scratches the CD's, this means that the internal mechanism is damaged, temporarily or definitively spoiled by some dust or metal particles.If you recently bought it, you should invoke the manufacturer guarantee, making them change the defective CD reader.A defective CD is definitively not acceptable, because it's the only way your laptop can receive data from outside and perform reliable backups. Backing up your data on a device which destroys the media is completely meaningless.

I can't imagine that slot drives (like your studio has) scratches discs, they are being used for years (they even where popular for a while because they were slimmer, but also more expensive). All macbooks have such slot drives and I've never heard any complaints. If your drive realy scratches discs it might be a good idea to contact support (or buy better cd's and dvd's :mellow: )

Your post title makes it sound as if you have had removable media scratched though it does not sound that way in the post. The way the media feeds into the drive it only touches the disk in the same places you should when removing it or or what have you. Of course if the drive completely spit out the disk that would be a problem with disk falling on the floor.

DELL STUDIO IS ONE OF THE WORST PRODUCT DELL EVER MADE THEY WERE NOT READY TO COMPETE YET THEY SET OUT TO BEAT THE MARKET NOW THEY CANT EVEN GIVE HELP TO THOSEĀ OF US THAT HAS FALLEN VICTIM... THIS IS NOT FAIR.

THE DVD-RW DOES NOT RECOGNISE DISC ANYMORE, I USE TO BRAG THAT DELL IS FAR BETTER THAN HP BUT NOW TO ME DELL IS WOSRE THAN ACER.

how to remove hdd password on Dell Optiplex 320Cd/dvd Rom Drive In Dell Laptop Scratches The Discs

hey guys!

I have several Optiplex 320 machines in my lab and recently I found that about 5 of them cannot boot and asking password to unlocked hard disk... I know some students could have done that... I need you fast help as possible; as I cannot use these pcs and I need them... Is there any way I can reset them without knowing the correct passwords for them?? Please HELP

-question by mtone