xisto Community
DXJohn

Vista Slow

If your computer is running Windows Vista Home Basic, I would assume that your computer is a low-end computer. The reason then would be that your computer components are not fast enough to cope with the CPU processing and HDD reading required during startup.You could try disabling the Aero Basic theme and reverting to using the Windows Classic theme for starters.Could you give us more information on the specifications of your computer? It would allow us to better help you speed up your computer system.

My vista is named (my own translation of it's localized name) something like "Windows Family Premium edition", it's the one I got when buying my computer in a supermarket, and I find it correct and acceptable.That's why I think like Atomic0 : maybe you don't have enough cpu/memory power. Please tell us which computer you are running on.Also, is this behavior new ? Was it OK when you bought the computer, and then did you experience a slow degradation ? Then the explanation could be somewhere else, and the solution could be to simply revert to the initial software settings (for instance a fresh re-install from the rescue CD.

Also I noticed that he said it gets extremely slow on startup? so it usually works fine and all, but when booting up and loading Windows Vista it's getting slow and later works normally again? after a while? My friend had this kind of issue too, don't know how he solved it, but I guess on startup something is happening, maybe Windows defender or some other software is doing something? like checking for updates, scanning your computer or loading something you don't even know? maybe you put lots of programs on your startup?Or is Vista always slow? Whats you're computer specifications?On new computers with the right graphics card, I read that Aero theme runs much faster as it's using the graphics card and not CPU, also it's better to enable dragging of windows to show the contents, as it doesn't need to re-show the windows contents too, but it depends on the computer specs.. I think that it's better to use XP on a bit older computers as it's much resources friendly than Vista..

It looks like most of us are in agreement and you may not have the best hardware to run Vista. There is a big jump between Vista and XP on the hardware needed.

You may want to try Microsoft ReadyBoost (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/windows)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost which is built into Vista but requires a compatible flash drive. You plug a dedicated flash drive into an open USB port and Vista will store cached data onto it and in theory speed up boot times. I personally use it but I didnât see a large performance gain at all.

The second thing to look at is the startup programs. A lot of programs will try to put their own completely worthless gadgets (my own option) into the system tray and run at startup which will slow down your boot time by minutes. Download Autoruns from Microsoft SysInternals (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx) and disable all the unneeded startup programs.

Look at the program path to get a hint to how important the program is. Drivers for system hardware such as sound cards and Windows components located in the C:\Windows\* directory should usually be left alone. Other widgets such as Adobe Updater, Microsoft Office, IM clients, and any other non-essential programs can and should be disabled.

My vista is named (my own translation of it's localized name) something like "Windows Family Premium edition", it's the one I got when buying my computer in a supermarket, and I find it correct and acceptable.That's why I think like Atomic0 : maybe you don't have enough cpu/memory power. Please tell us which computer you are running on.
Also, is this behavior new ? Was it OK when you bought the computer, and then did you experience a slow degradation ? Then the explanation could be somewhere else, and the solution could be to simply revert to the initial software settings (for instance a fresh re-install from the rescue CD.

You mean Windows Vista Home Premium then.

xboxrulz

I have windows Vista Home Basic and it goes extremely slow at startup is there any way I can fix this or speed my computer up in general?

hmm Vista or windows7 need more RAM then older version of windows. If we install the 512MB graphics card to our system may fastup your computer more then 5times. Or try to increase the RAM upto 4GB.