xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
quack

Macbook Pro - Fan Always On?

I am thinking of getting a Macbook Pro very soon, but I have heard some bad things about the fan constantly being on and the bottom being extremely hot. Does anyone out there have a macbook pro or even Macbook and have experienced this? I have an HP Pavillion laptop and the fan rarely goes on, and when it does, it is extremely soft (something else I've heard is the fan on Macbooks is a tad loud). Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide...

There were problems with it overheating, crashing in hot countries but it's been fixed for almost a year at least.

What about the new Macbooks? I still am hearing the fan is constantly on, but it's not overheating or everything, it's just very hot. I have complete confidence that the Macbook will not overheat, but it's just the fact of that annoying fan always on.

What about the new Macbooks? I still am hearing the fan is constantly on, but it's not overheating or everything, it's just very hot. I have complete confidence that the Macbook will not overheat, but it's just the fact of that annoying fan always on.

Could be a crashed controller or something. Check the Apple support site whether it's mentioned as a problem or how the reset the power controller.

Ummm, guys, the fan for ALL computers should ALWAYS be on or else it'll lead to a system crash. All Macs have always been cooled by a fan. However, at what speed should be the question. The standard minimum speed for a fan to operate on an Intel Mac should be 2000 rpm. The highest (and should be worried depending on application) is 6000 rpm. On the polycarbonate Macbooks, it is normal to see YouTube videos causing the fans to rev to 6000 RPM due to the fact that the Intel graphics chipset just suck and forces it to be fully rendered on CPU instead of offloaded to the GPU as well.As for the Macbook Pro, they usually range from 2000 rpm to 3000 rpm as their normal operating speed. You wouldn't even hear the fans loudly until you hit 4000 rpm.xboxrulz

Ummm, guys, the fan for ALL computers should ALWAYS be on or else it'll lead to a system crash. All Macs have always been cooled by a fan. However, at what speed should be the question. The standard minimum speed for a fan to operate on an Intel Mac should be 2000 rpm. The highest (and should be worried depending on application) is 6000 rpm.
On the polycarbonate Macbooks, it is normal to see YouTube videos causing the fans to rev to 6000 RPM due to the fact that the Intel graphics chipset just suck and forces it to be fully rendered on CPU instead of offloaded to the GPU as well.

As for the Macbook Pro, they usually range from 2000 rpm to 3000 rpm as their normal operating speed. You wouldn't even hear the fans loudly until you hit 4000 rpm.

xboxrulz

They don't have to be on all the time. It's very common for laptop to turn off the cpu fan when the cpu temperature is below a certain value (40° - 50°). I can keep my cpu fan off till it hits 50°c and my laptop still runs stable :rolleyes: .
In fact, your cpu must be at a certain temperature before the cooling system becomes efficient. The heatpipes in your laptop (same goes for desktop coolers) are useless at lower temperatures.

I don't know about macbooks specifically but my laptop fan turns on and off periodically. The heat sensors automatically switch the fan on after it exceeds a certain temperature.Most laptops do start to feel a bit hot after a while but that is pretty normal and everything should still run stable.My friend who recently bought a macbook hasn't really had any problems with overheating as far as I've heard.

Macbook Pro - Fan Always On?Macbook Pro - Fan Always On?

I have found a solution for the fan always running on the power books. This more often than not is the problem, the print job manager for some reason starts using all the cpu's power (99.9%). Use activity monitor to force quit PrintJobMgr. And the cooling fan will wide down completely. You may need to use the pull down menu to show "all processes". Then use the the big stop sign to force quit the "process". There is a secondary fan but it runs almost silently. 

-reply by big mike

my fan goes on all the time macbook proMacbook Pro - Fan Always On?

I have a macbook pro and my fan is almost always on and the bottom gets way too ****ing hot! I HATE IT. But the pros outweigh the cons so I'm not going to switch laptops. Plus I'm in the design industry which is ruledby Apple.

Yes I agree with the previous comment(s) about the MacBook fan always running and the machine running red-hot for long periods of time. I believe it's an issue with the construction of the machine(s). 

Now the last I heard, Apple have announced this(these) issue(s) and are working on a fix ASAP as people have experienced their machines overheating and in rare cases exploding in their lap.

The Apple MacBook issue is explain in Apple's documentary section under KA4400, I cannot provide a link as multiple tabs will be too much work for my Mac Mini and it will explode. However do a search on their website and all will be explained.

Take care everyone, and keep your machine(s) COOL! Otherwise you risk an exploding computer on your lap, fan speeds/noise/volume/problem(s)/issue(s) should be the LAST thing on your mind. If one of these puppies goes bad (like they do) you'll know about it when you're in hospital with 3rd degree burns on your thighs and legs (and penis, rectum or genitals).

With best intentions,

Thomas Hanks (Walking the Mile)