xisto Community
Sellaman

Digital Painting Of My Guardian Angel. Showing my latest digital painting.

I have always wanted to do a digital painting of my guardian angel but I have not been able to do it till now.

I like how my angel is poised , ready to help me, leaning over and watching that I don't get in harms way.

Posted Image

I tried several times, at different hours of the day, and I muss confess that I don't see the angel.Am I tired ? Or do I not have the correct graphic adapter ? Or do I not have the adequate brain ?Or is this definitively no guardian angel ?

I agree, I can't seem to see anything too, no guardian Angel, just something artistic, I tried even to look from far, but nothing changed.. so maybe I thought, Sellaman has linked to a wrong image of his? :P or maybe we don't know how an angel really looks like. :rolleyes:

Abstract art has always escaped my comprehension. :P

That said, I can appreciate the technique. I like the deep texture that you have some how maintained to keep it crisp - both in terms of texture and color.

And if you did this following traditional techniques and not using any filters of your software tool, then it makes me more curious. I would really like to know the technique involved - any intermediate screenshots would be much appreciated. :rolleyes:

Edit:

I think I do see a shape of an angel - here is my interpretation paint-over.

Posted Image

Edited by Vyoma (see edit history)

Vyoma

Thanks for showing the clear outline of my Angel.

I'm sorry I don't have any intermediate shots of the angel because it all came about quickly by accident using filters ........usually I save images from start to finish and have at least saved about 20 progressions along the way to completion.

I'm sure the others could see the angel as well and were only making fun of my art.

I can see you taste for art is in realism as I saw quite a fair bit of your art at your DeviantArt page.

Picasso first started off in a similar style to yours eg; realism or whatever it's called and he quickly changed to abstract and became the master of it and all styles.

Maybe you need to see really good abstract works to get to understand and start to appreciate it.

I reckon abstract is able to express more than any other styles of art, if it's professionally done.

I don't know how I go into abstract but I have and I'll continue to do so.

.....and thanks for the tips on GIMP.

and just to keep with the flow........here is a painting I just did called 'Caught in the Rain'. It's a mixture of cubism and abstract. I love this one so I'll post it up now.

I had to put it up almost full sized so you could see the rain drops.

Posted Image

Thanks for you help, Vyoma, now I see the angel and I am now able to see it (him?) in the original image too.And, thanks to this topic, now I understand why some people say that Guardian Angels exist - because they can see them, and why skeptic people say that they don't exist - simply because they are unable to see them!

Heh, wow, I see it too now.. thats abstract art for you, but I believe, using Vyoma technique, I also could get people to see a rabbit in that picture, seriously :rolleyes:Just that I'm not so artistic..

I saw it from the first photo, If it were a picasso then every one would brag about the use of color, lighting, even call it amazing.... So why different when its from an unknown artist? As I am an artist i know when im dead then ill be remembered by my work, until then its just sketches on paper

I'm sorry I don't have any intermediate shots of the angel because it all came about quickly by accident using filters ........usually I save images from start to finish and have at least saved about 20 progressions along the way to completion.

Ah Sellaman - I see. I think I now have a inkling on your technique. Do post one of your progressions - would go a long way to understand the technique.

I can see you taste for art is in realism as I saw quite a fair bit of your art at your DeviantArt page.

Picasso first started off in a similar style to yours eg; realism or whatever it's called and he quickly changed to abstract and became the master of it and all styles.

Maybe you need to see really good abstract works to get to understand and start to appreciate it.

I reckon abstract is able to express more than any other styles of art, if it's professionally done.

Hmmm - abstract/modern? I am not sure. I did see quite a lot of abstract pieces - the last time being when I had been to New York - spent about half a day at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Part of the displays there were of that category and most of them did not make much sense to me. Some did not even have enough work put into them (in my opinion) to garner my appreciation.

Here is how I see it. I am an engineer by day. Most of the things I do, I try to do it to get something purpose served either for me or for other. I try to get it done efficiently. When I do artworks, I just see it as an extension of serving myself or others. It is more of an performance than just mere self expression where it is quite satisfactory when more people are able to appreciate what I have done. And going down the abstract path - in my opinion - I see it rarely happen.

Do I think abstract and modern styles are not art at all? No - of course not. It is just not where my interests lie. You must know by now the phletora of mediums and styles we have in visual arts alone. I just happen to dabble in digital art - specifically in digital painting (more like the traditional technique - everything is done using brush strokes without any filters) and vector illustration. For the past few years as I have been working on those styles, among other techniques, I have had exposure to color, texture, value, composition, and more interestingly towards form. Lately, I have been so interested in line and form that I am putting more energy into doing just illustration (albeit digital). I believe it will help me in both the style - digital painting and vector illustrations. And with these three areas/niches, I think I have enough of it and I would expand only when I really feel the need.

Thanks for you help, Vyoma, now I see the angel and I am now able to see it (him?) in the original image too.

And, thanks to this topic, now I understand why some people say that Guardian Angels exist - because they can see them, and why skeptic people say that they don't exist - simply because they are unable to see them!

Ha! You're welcome yordan.

Heh, wow, I see it too now.. thats abstract art for you, but I believe, using Vyoma technique, I also could get people to see a rabbit in that picture, seriously :P

Just that I'm not so artistic..

Well Quatrux - I think that is what the style is all about. You could get a rabbit out of the picture. It lets many have several different interpretations, and take you in a journey of pondering. Quite exactly as yordan does above? :P

I saw it from the first photo, If it were a picasso then every one would brag about the use of color, lighting, even call it amazing.... So why different when its from an unknown artist? As I am an artist i know when im dead then ill be remembered by my work, until then its just sketches on paper

:rolleyes: Yup, laniczech - why is it that we have to die to get our artwork appreciated?

Yet, from my experience in watching some of the works (even by Picassa), I just dont get what the big deal is all about.

Edited by Vyoma (see edit history)

What sort of manual techniques did you use to create your work and were there any effects you applied during the post? I tried doing something similar but I am not getting any good results of it looking anything natural. I just take pictures an use Olympus editing software to apply the Art effects like cartoon, oil painting, and air brush.