xisto Community
TavoxPeru

The New Gmail Video And Voice Chat Plug-in

A few days ago Google just release a new chat functionality for Gmail, this is a new video and voice chat plug-in that will let us to see and hear our family, friends and contacts from within Gmail with a high quality audio and video.

To start using this new functionality you just only need to download and install the new Gmail voice and video chat plug-in and a webcam.

The voice and video chat plug-in for Gmail is free and only works with the newer version of Gmail in supported browsers: FF 2.0+, IE 6.0+, Safari 3.0+, and Google Chrome.

BTW, the video and voice plug-in only can be installed on Windows XP or later.

For more information please visit the Gmail voice and video chat page.

Best regards,

Did you try this ? I saw the "new video chat" button appearing on top of my gmail main page, I did not try it yet (because I have no webcam and no speaker on my current PC)

At school I've seen someone using it, It seems to work quite well, altough I can't tell anything about the speed because we're limited to ~23kb/s at school :rolleyes:

I have not tried this as of yet. I have downloaded the new chat functionality though. Google has really come up in the world.

I have Google Chrome and really like it. It is much better and faster than IE. However, I think that there is some conflict between the two browsers that I am going to have to check out.

How is this security wise though. I think that the internet is getting to invasive. This would be great like for local friends and for family, esp. those overseas but I would be shy about video with someone I hardly know.

:rolleyes:

A few days ago Google just release a new chat functionality for Gmail, this is a new video and voice chat plug-in that will let us to see and hear our family, friends and contacts from within Gmail with a high quality audio and video.

To start using this new functionality you just only need to download and install the new Gmail voice and video chat plug-in and a webcam.

The voice and video chat plug-in for Gmail is free and only works with the newer version of Gmail in supported browsers: FF 2.0+, IE 6.0+, Safari 3.0+, and Google Chrome.

BTW, the video and voice plug-in only can be installed on Windows XP or later.

For more information please visit the Gmail voice and video chat page.

Best regards,

How is this security wise though. I think that the internet is getting to invasive. This would be great like for local friends and for family, esp. those overseas but I would be shy about video with someone I hardly know.

This guy is already in your contact list because you already sent him mails.You already talked with him using google talk, the keyboard-only chat interterface. So, adding video is only one step ahead. And if you hardly know this guy, simply refuse his chat, and remove him from your contact list. This is not really intrusive, you are fully free.
Exactly like a letter the postman put in your mailbox in front of your house, nobody forces you to read this letter nor answer it, everything is your own choice.