xisto Community
veerumits

How We Resore The Old File. backup and restore

Welcome,My one PC is not working fine i want to restore my old file, i made backup in pen drive but how we restore my old file in my system, what is the path to restore the file, i have complete c: drive backup in which i have installing my windows. when i store file by system restore it send error report, there is any way to restore my old file, restore point and backup i think that both are different, there may be problem but i cant resolve it.thanks

The c: disk cannot restore itself.The microsoft backup facility is for backing up the non-system disks. For backing up system disks you have to use third-party backup programs, like Norton Ghost or Akronis.And, of course, if you want to put a single file on your pendrive, you don't need the backup facility, simply use Windows Explorer copy/paste tool.

I'm curious how did you backup your information to the pen drive? Did you use a windows utility (program), some 3rd party software, or did your pen drive come with some software?If you connect you pen drive to the pc. It'll show up as a drive letter in My computer. What is/are the contents of that drive? Is it one file or a bunch of directories?Lastly, what kind of problems are you experiencing with your PC? Is it not running as fast as expected? Internet problems or possible Virues?I know it is crutial to backup all your files if you suspect any virues, data loss activitiy or emminent hardware failure. Are you just backing up your files or did you backup your files in response to some recent activity?

When you state you backed up the C: drive, I will assume you backed up the "C:\Documents and Settings" directory (C:\Users in Vista). Otherwise you would need a pretty big pen drive to back up the entire contents of C:\WINDOWS, C:\Program Files and C:\DELL. In fact, you can't do this in Windows, you must use a third-party software utility or another operating system (Linux) in order to do this.Please also include what you are trying to do (restore your documents, videos and music or something else). The drive filesystem may also help (NTFS, ext3, xfs, FAT32, etc). From what I've read, it looks like you are trying to restore the entire C: drive. You can make a new partition, format it, and dump the entire file structure onto the empty partition. This may not be the best way to do it, and the partition is most likely non-bootable.