xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
toby

Cheapest Usb2 External Drive

I want to get a small (anything over 50gig) external hard drive. All it needs is 50gig ish and usb2.Can anyone suggest something?, every other day Amazon is good. Also, I don't remember whats bad. It needs to have Uk delivery, preferbly free (Play and Amazon do that).

I'm sure if you just shop around you can find one for relatively little money. I mean you can buy 500gig-1TB drives for like a hundred bucks here (Canada) if you keep an eye out for sales so I'm guessing online it would not be hard to find similar prices especially if you dip into the lower capacity ranges. What kind of price range are we talking here? I mean if by cheap you mean 10 bucks you might be out of luck but if you mean 50 it might be possible.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

3 seconds with google resulted in that page, there are 160gb externals for ÂŁ34.99 and they are based out of the UK, as well they have various other sized drives. MIght be worth checking but again, 'cheap' is pretty ambiguous so that still might not be in your price range.

Another method that just skipped my mind until now would be to use an old hard drive if you have one of adequate size not in use along with an external enclosure. They sell cases that latch onto normal internal hard drives and turn them into externals for relatively cheap so that might be another venue you can look into. All external harddrives are just that, a normal drive with a case and a usb cable or other external connection so if you have an old HD kicking around it could be a good way to save a few bucks.Also, might I ask what you want this for? Seems weird to only want a 50 gig external when such huge ones exist for relatively low costs lol.

From what I have seen of these 'mybooks' they are extremely expensive compared to using a regular external drive or especially a standard drive with an enclosure. At a quick glance these WD Mybooks are ranging from 200-400 bucks... you could have a decent sized external for 50 lol.

It is best to choose some well-known brands for your USB 2.0 External Hard Disk Drive, as it is usually easier to claim warranty and to get support. Examples of brands of USB 2.0 External HDDs are Seagate, Maxtor, Buffalo and Western Digital.Another option would to buy a external Hard Disk Drive Enclosure and then fit it with a normal computer hard disk. However, these enclosures tend to be bulky compared to streamlines integrated External HDDs and most enclosures require AC power i.e. from a powerpoint instead of being fully powered by USB ports.

I wouldn't look for the cheapers one available, paying a bit more might save you some trouble. I have a cheapo 500Gb external HDD, it's big, it's heavy and it's power is so weakly connected that accidentaly unplugging the power is very likely to happen :rolleyes: